The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ive got those :biggrin:

it came with a wall chart, use that
Reply 2
You won't be able to do much useful with 20kg of dumbbells, and reading the page it seems like it's 20kg total so you can only have 10kg on each if you use them both at once, which is nothing. Join a gym.
Original post by tooosh
You won't be able to do much useful with 20kg of dumbbells, and reading the page it seems like it's 20kg total so you can only have 10kg on each if you use them both at once, which is nothing. Join a gym.

Well aren't you supposed to start of small, so you don't hurt/pull muscles in your arm? In regards to how heavy they are, I'll go with those for the moment and if I get into it, then I may buy heavier ones or join a gym. But, I may not like it, so I'd be wasting lots of money if I just gave up on it.
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
ive got those :biggrin:

it came with a wall chart, use that

What is a Wall Chart?
Reply 5
At 16 your body is still growing so take it easy, you don't even need weights, body weight exercises would do ya, all the hype with gyms and weights is just that, hype. Think of soldiers and special forces, hardcore geezers some of em. Try thishttp://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/workouts/archive
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
What is a Wall Chart?

its a bit of paper with exercises you can do with the dumbbells on that you stick on the wall
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
its a bit of paper with exercises you can do with the dumbbells on that you stick on the wall

Ah right, thanks
Reply 8
Just start low and build. Probably best doing basic stuff such as overhead presses, curls, lateral raises and flyes for now.
Reply 9
Well aren't you supposed to start of small, so you don't hurt/pull muscles in your arm? In regards to how heavy they are, I'll go with those for the moment and if I get into it, then I may buy heavier ones or join a gym. But, I may not like it, so I'd be wasting lots of money if I just gave up on it.

It would still be cheaper in the short and long term to join a gym, a month of gym to see how you like it would be less than £38. The only way buying your own gym stuff is worthwhile is if you get a complete set of things - a lot of plates, bar, rack, bench etc, then it'll pay off in a few years.
Also you're right about starting off light but you'll find you can lift more than 20kg on the big lifts so those will go up quickly.
Reply 10
Original post by tooosh

How achievable is well defined and built muscle at home using just dumbbells? If so what sort of weights would it have to go up to (I realise this is a very ill-defined question :smile:).
Reply 11
Original post by JayReg
How achievable is well defined and built muscle at home using just dumbbells? If so what sort of weights would it have to go up to (I realise this is a very ill-defined question :smile:).

Depends where you want it. If you just want biceps then 20kg of dumbbells will last you a while, if you want muscle everywhere then you'll be doing bigger exercises like squats and 20kg won't come close. The bigger exercises are much easier with a barbell though I guess you could use dumbbells - the main point is the weight.
Reply 12
I've purchased these weights: http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-Cast-Iron-Kit-Case/dp/B000N3T0VE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328398207&sr=8-1

How many lifts would you recommend a day (I've never lifted weights before, and quite skinny) and how long would it take to start making a difference?

Thanks

That is plenty for now. Just keep on doing it and it will pay off it's all about maintaining your workouts even if its twice a week. Just combine it with some cardio and use your own body weight for others situps,pressups,swats etc and work yourself up. Don't overdo it and allow some time for recovery.

You don't need to get a gym membership to get into good shape it can help and some people like it others don't.
Original post by LowRider
That is plenty for now. Just keep on doing it and it will pay off it's all about maintaining your workouts even if its twice a week. Just combine it with some cardio and use your own body weight for others situps,pressups,swats etc and work yourself up. Don't overdo it and allow some time for recovery.

You don't need to get a gym membership to get into good shape it can help and some people like it others don't.

I was thinking everyday, is that too much?
Reply 14
I was thinking everyday, is that too much?

If you do a proper workout you may need at least a day recovery. You will probably able to tell yourself if your ready or too tired for another workout. But just make sure you don't overdo it and burn out. I personally think smaller amounts regularly is best as it's easy to do and doesn't feel like a chore so you end up maintaining your fitness regime.
If you do a proper workout you may need at least a day recovery. You will probably able to tell yourself if your ready or too tired for another workout. But just make sure you don't overdo it and burn out. I personally think smaller amounts regularly is best as it's easy to do and doesn't feel like a chore so you end up maintaining your fitness regime.

How many lifts would you recommend every two days then?
Reply 16

ignore this phag and his previous advice too
Reply 17
Original post by Ben77mc
ignore this phag and his previous advice too

It's fag not phag muppet. If you have anything to add then give your opinion it is a online forum. If you think what I'm saying is rubbish then at least tell me why I may learn something myself.
Reply 18
He can do weighted lunges, great exercise.

Press, seated press, curls (I know) and bench amongst other toning things.

srsly, does anyone in here even lift?
Reply 19

I dont know, but just a warning, guys are still growing quite a lot at 16, my friend (a guy) started lifting weights too quickly and it led to him having stunted growth. Just be careful :P
Sorry for not answering the question you asked! :P :smile:

Latest