Should PE in secondary schools be made optional?

Watch
Poll: Should PE in schools be made optional?
Yes (40)
21.98%
No (85)
46.7%
Increase student choice regarding activities they wish to do (57)
31.32%
IB_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
PE in secondary schools seems to be a pointless activity. It is not up to the school or state to enforce exercise, it is up to the individual to do it themselves. Everyone knows why exercise is important and two hours per week will not exactly change their health. During years seven to eleven, I even dreaded PE; not due to laziness just that I found my teachers to be very irritating and the students used it as an opportunity to bully others.

I can clearly see the benefits of this proposal; those that are competitive will not be "held back" by those who really couldn't care less. Also, there is an opportunity for other students to do something more productive with their time; for example, a proper lesson or studying if timetabling proves to be an issue.

What are your views?
mychem2001
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As much as I HATEEEEEE PE (I dread it every week), I think that it is a good subject to do - it breaks the week up and gives you a subject where you can just relax (to an extent) and not have to think 'do I know all of the stuff for this subject for exams in the summer!?' (I'm currently doing my GCSE's) . Also, I think that the additional exercise, for some students especially, is good for us
dellprinter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mychem2001)
As much as I HATEEEEEE PE (I dread it every week), I think that it is a good subject to do - it breaks the week up and gives you a subject where you can just relax (to an extent) and not have to think 'do I know all of the stuff for this subject for exams in the summer!?' (I'm currently doing my GCSE's) . Also, I think that the additional exercise, for some students especially, is good for us
aka the fatties

Edit- theres a bunch of fatties on tsr?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, no, no, no, no. We need exercise. If anything, there should be more exercise involved in schools, not just in PE lessons but incorporated into other lessons, for example going outside in maths to measure the length of sections of the grounds and finding the area, or doing some kind of science experiments involving exercise.

PE seems like a total waste of time when you're at school, and was my least favourite lesson, but my goodness I didn't half pile the weight on when it was no longer compulsory.. and I was NEVER thin to begin with.

That being said, I do think that some PE lessons are awful for those who are no good at sport. For example, we were always made to play rugby and hockey which I was rubbish at, and never got the choice to do things that I was quite good at like badminton. In Y10 we were given the option to do circuit training, and I found that AMAZING. Because you only had to spend a couple of minutes on each activity I always found something that I enjoyed, but it's a pity that none of that was available lower down the school.

TL;DR PE should be compulsory. Kids need more PE or they'll get fat.
The Phelps
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I believe PE can have its use as it's a lessons that many badly behaved children enjoy as they excel at sports and fail in every other lesson. Equally many students especially girls in my experience seem to try and dodge PE because they're to elegant for sports. The problem I found with PE is the bottom group is so low ability that they don't actually do any productive exercise or sport. Making the whole lesson a total waste really.

I think it should be kept in place as it shows less academic students that they do have desirable talents. It without doubt needs to experience massive changes to make it more productive, but then doesn't everything in our education system?
username702475
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes! I hated the PE teachers (and they hated me!), I used to dread PE from years 7-9, and it was purely just an opportunity for the uneducated teachers to let the chavs not run round the field and allow the geeky-academic type (me ) to be bullied. Although, saying that, I actually quite look forward to PE now, as we are able to choose what we do, and I see as a break from the constant work, but I still disagree with the stupid teachers and the stupid sporty students.

I actually found that PE ironically put me off doing any kind of physical activity.
Nistar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest, I don't like P.E. (apart from ping pong ) but if I didn't do it, god knows what size I'd be right now. I'm really, really lazy.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dellprinter)
aka the fatties
No, it's good for everyone - maybe less so the people who do loads of sport anyway, but particularly with girls I know a lot of really skinny people who couldn't run 100m. It certainly doesn't hurt anyone.

To the OP, NO. I hated PE at school, but I've only just started to appreciate it;

1. It teaches basic discipline and lifestyle skills that not everyone gets to learn at home. You still need this at secondary school.
2. It makes time for it - if there wasn't compulsory PE many people would just claim they were 'too busy', then get really unfit, which would affect their schoolwork and health and cost taxpayers money.
3. It teaches standard games like Netball that people wouldn't learn otherwise. I like the fact that at university I can just join in with a game if I feel like it, because now I know the rules.

If you gave people a choice they would just choose knitting or something. Teenagers don't usually know what's good for them.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No.

Children need exercise and just because you're more academic shouldn't exclude you from running a little bit. I had fun during PE, i'm sure it was a pretty good time playing basketball and all that fun stuff (until we go to cross country :no: ) with that being said, there should be a lot more option during PE. A lot of people hate mindless running but when it becomes running with a ball in your hand (rugby ) then it can be a lot more fun (in my opinion anyway)

Plus it's a good break from all the work during school and something that people can look forward to.

Also if you take away PE then you'll lose a lot of talent because they haven't been given the opportunity to find what they're good at.

It should be compulsory :yep: up until GCSE anyway
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Speaking from experience, the people who really don't want to do it will avoid it regardless of how 'compulsory' it is. I rarely did PE in Year 9/10 and just refused completely during Year 11.

I don't think it should be made optional though because I guess even less people would do it. However, I do think there should be more choice available as to what sports you can do. I would have happily gone swimming twice a week, and didn't mind too much when we got to do tennis and racquetball because they tended to be quite fun and we got to pick our own groups, but there wasn't a chance in hell my teachers could make me run laps around the field in the middle of winter. Conveniently I had a headache/backache/twisted ankle/etc for the vast majority of my school years ;D
Contrad!ction.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At our school, girls had the option of walking around a field chatting for our PE lessons, because so many people refused to do actual exercise. So I think that if we're going to keep PE compulsory, we need teachers that get the students involved. I would have preferred to take PE with the guys, because while I hate athletics (running around a track for a while is definitely not my thing), I love sports and would have liked to play them with people who actually take it seriously. Football with girls who don't like sport is not fun, trust me. Also, the guys didn't have the option to 'walk around the field chatting' because they actually got on with it.
amizzle91
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, it shouldn't be made optional.

However, I think there should be more focus on getting everyone to enjoy exercise, so rather than being forced to do things that perhaps some don't have the skill or fitness for (i.e. hockey, rugby etc.) more gentle, fun exercise (i.e. badminton or rounders) could be encouraged for certain people.

Also mixed ability groups are needed, pitting the 'top' groups against the 'bottom' groups will do nothing to encourage less enthusiastic members to enjoy PE.
spoinkytheduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I absolutely hated PE when we actually had to do it in some sort of serious way in years 7 - 9. But when I reached the GCSE years, we were allowed to pick sports we wanted to do and it split the personalities quite nicely - the sporty girls would do netball / hockey while we would do self defence, circuit training etc. which I found much more enjoyable! Even if you didnt really feel like doing much you could take a break at any point, mess around a bit, which didnt matter so much at this point because you were in a group which didnt take sport too seriously. I think how PE is run in secondary schools, especially in the lower years does need some tweaking to reach all students, but it definitely shouldnt be made optional - nothing else is really optional in secondary school, why should PE be any different?
Oppro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hated PE & had bad period cramps every Tuesday & Friday for 4 years

However it is the only exercise some kids get & is important. It would be nice to give the kids more options but I dont think thats always practical beyond "football or rugby this term?".
User570431
Report 9 years ago
No! I love PE, it offers me a chance to play football and think freely from my other academic work.
Moiraclaire
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
there are 6 hours in s school day - unless every child gets 5 A*-C grades including English, maths, science and humanities I think it is safe to say there is not enough time in the school day to waste time on something any reasonable parent would make their child do out of school.
How can we allocate tax payers money most effficiently? when it is spent on education, the productivity of the resulting workforce should be maximised.
Hello95
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it should be optional - I hated PE but I do like sport - all we ever did was play football or rugby which was annoying - we only got to play tennis and basketball for small periods of time I also think that PE should be stopped during exam times or a month before so that time can be used to revision etc instead of standing in a field in the rain.
Mr. Gutsy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think it should be compulsory (at least, not in the current format in which it's taught). Forcing people who have no desire to exercise to run around a field, get shouted at for not excelling in competitive sports, and generally be made to feel physically inferior to their peers, isn't exactly going to be the thing that positively reinforces any impetus towards exercising in general. If we really want to teach the value of exercise, perhaps a more practical approach should be taken, such as highlighting the ways in which different forms of exercise can benefit us, and then putting them into the context of actual exercise.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by blueray)
No! I love PE, it offers me a chance to play football and think freely from my other academic work.
Do you understand what optional means?
Kim-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For disabled students, yes. It just provides more ammunition for them to get bullied/singled out because they struggle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads