The Student Room Group

MEI S1 Ex 5B Q12 Help please!

Hi everyone, you will probably only be able to help me with this if you have the MEI S1 textbook. The questions is, as in the title, Exercise 5B - Question 12. I can do the first two parts with no trouble but beyond that not much of it makes sense.

For part iii I looked at the answers in the back and thankfully they reasoned their answer. However for the next bit I then tried to apply their logic to a similar question, producing a wrong answer. I cannot see why 5C3 x 22 x 21 is a correct answer here, seeing as it applies the same logic as the last part.
Original post by Malabarista
Hi everyone, you will probably only be able to help me with this if you have the MEI S1 textbook. The questions is, as in the title, Exercise 5B - Question 12. I can do the first two parts with no trouble but beyond that not much of it makes sense.

For part iii I looked at the answers in the back and thankfully they reasoned their answer. However for the next bit I then tried to apply their logic to a similar question, producing a wrong answer. I cannot see why 5C3 x 22 x 21 is a correct answer here, seeing as it applies the same logic as the last part.

I think if you work on the assumption that very few people on here have that book, put some more detail into your question, then you're more likely to get a response.
Reply 2
Then here is the question in full (this is exactly why I did not post all of it) :

Alpha Bet is a weekly lottery in which a selection of five different letters chosen at random from the 26 letters A to Z inclusive, appear on each ticket. Each ticket has a different combination of letters printed on it. At the end of a week five winning letters are chosen. Each person buying a ticket for the lottery pays £1.

Prizes are awarded depending on the number of letters on the ticket which match with the winning letters. For example, when the winning letters are D, G, K, M, X, a ticket with the letters E, K, M, R, X has three matching letters. The order of the letters on a ticket does not matter nor does the order in which they are drawn.

The values of prizes are given in the table below.

Number of matching letter - 3 4 5
Prize - £10 £100 £1000

(i) What is the largest number of tickets that could be sold in a week?

Consider a week when all possible tickets are sold.

(ii) What is the probability that I win the £1000 prize if I only buy one ticket?
(iii) If the winning letters are D, G, K, M, X, give two examples of different tickets which would win a prize of £100. Show that altogether there are 105 tickets which would win a prize of £100.
(iv) Find the number of tickets that would win £100.
(v) Show that the chance of a ticket winning a prize is roughly 1 in 30.
(vi) Show that about half the stake money is returned in prizes.

As I said, I can do up to (iii) and can do the first part of (iii).

Bit confused as to which parts you're looking at. So here's solutions to first 4.

i) Largest number of tickets, since they are all different, is from 26 choose 5, so: 26C5^{26}C_5

ii) Clearly 126C5\dfrac{1}{^{26}C_5}

iii) I'm sure you've got your own examples.

Then to win £100 you need 4 winning letters, and 1 that doesn't win. So chose 4 from 5 winning ones, and then 1 from the remaining 21 losing letters.

i.e. 5C4×21C1=5×21=105^{5}C_4\times ^{21}C_1= 5\times 21 = 105

iv) The book is wrong here, IMHO.
I presume you mean tickets that win £10, rather than £100.

So you need 3 winning letters, and 2 losing letters.
I.e. from 5 choose 3, and from 21 choose 2.

5C3×21C2=5C3×21×20/2=2100^5C_3\times ^{21}C_2= ^5C_3 \times 21\times 20 /2=2100
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you for your help, I see how you get those answers now, and in part (iv) I did mean £10, sorry about that. Thanks again.
Thank you for your help, I see how you get those answers now, and in part (iv) I did mean £10, sorry about that. Thanks again.

You're welcome.
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
Bit confused as to which parts you're looking at. So here's solutions to first 4.

i) Largest number of tickets, since they are all different, is from 26 choose 5, so: 26C5^{26}C_5

Then to win £100 you need 4 winning letters, and 1 that doesn't win. So chose 4 from 5 winning ones, and then 1 from the remaining 21 losing letters.

Damn, your logic here is brilliantly simple! Why didn't I think of that :frown: Thanks for the help, I was also stuck on this question.
Original post by KanKan
Damn, your logic here is brilliantly simple! Why didn't I think of that :frown: Thanks for the help, I was also stuck on this question.

Glad it was useful - someone actually searched the forum to find it - wow!
Original post by ghostwalker

I also searched for this and found it :tongue:

I don't understand the logic for part iv) though - I thought the number of ways of winning £10 would be 5C3 x 23 x 22 (since once you've got the 3 letters the same, there would be 23 possible letters for a fourth and 22 for the fifth) Where is the 21 and 20/2 coming from?
Reply 9
Original post by LightYagami
I also searched for this and found it :tongue:

I don't understand the logic for part iv) though - I thought the number of ways of winning £10 would be 5C3 x 23 x 22 (since once you've got the 3 letters the same, there would be 23 possible letters for a fourth and 22 for the fifth) Where is the 21 and 20/2 coming from?

There are 5 correct letters so there are 21 incorrect

Quick Reply

Latest