The Student Room Group

Fine art portfolio - this is mine

Ok, so I remember when I was still in the application process how desperate I was to find an example of a successful portfolio, so here's mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70167756@N08/
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hope your ego will be well fed on this thread
Reply 2
Original post by Lydia1234
I hope your ego will be well fed on this thread

God, I was sure there would be comments like this. I'm not doing this to get compliments, I'm doing it because no one ever shares their portfolios, so it's really hard to get an idea of what uni's expect. I posted it because I really, really wished someone would have done this when I was preparing my portfolio.
Reply 3
please ignore stupid jealous comments, your work is amazing and thanks for sharing, I'm sure a lot of people will find it helpful and inspirational. Keep up the good work!
Reply 4
Original post by irina793
Ok, so I remember when I was still in the application process how desperate I was to find an example of a successful portfolio, so here's mine:

Hey! your work looks great! Where did you end up studying? Where are you hoping to go next?

heres my portfolio, did everything for it during my current gap year, after my foundation at Wimbledon.
I'm not sure what to think of it as I haven't spoken to any teachers all year! But the work in there is incredibly experimental to me, probably due to having no tutor guidance ahah.

Im preparing to send a selection of it off to Goldsmiths tomorrow, then Chelsea on friday. :smile:

Let me know what you think? :smile: try not to crush my soul haha :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Soares
Hey! your work looks great! Where did you end up studying? Where are you hoping to go next?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59028616@N08/ heres my portfolio, did everything for it during my current gap year, after my foundation at Wimbledon.
I'm not sure what to think of it as I haven't spoken to any teachers all year! But the work in there is incredibly experimental to me, probably due to having no tutor guidance ahah.

Im preparing to send a selection of it off to Goldsmiths tomorrow, then Chelsea on friday. :smile:

Let me know what you think? :smile: try not to crush my soul haha :tongue:

I haven't actually started uni yet, I'm starting this October, if I get my grades :smile: I firmed oxford. As for what I'm gonna do next, I guess it depends... My first three options would be: cinematography, fashion magazines and advertising. But again, it depends...

I really like your work, I think what you have so far is great, but you seem to have few individual projects... Like, the toilet and the furniture ones form 60% of your portfolios and they might be perceived as individual pieces and only count as 2 pieces of work. Other than that, I think it's a really nice portfolio, def very personal.

Good luck!
Reply 6
I haven't actually started uni yet, I'm starting this October, if I get my grades :smile: I firmed oxford. As for what I'm gonna do next, I guess it depends... My first three options would be: cinematography, fashion magazines and advertising. But again, it depends...

I really like your work, I think what you have so far is great, but you seem to have few individual projects... Like, the toilet and the furniture ones form 60% of your portfolios and they might be perceived as individual pieces and only count as 2 pieces of work. Other than that, I think it's a really nice portfolio, def very personal.

Good luck!

Well done on getting the place at Oxford! Where else had you applied to?
Yh I get what you mean, I'm trying to chose just 1 photo for each of those at the moment, finding it hard to chose :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by Soares
Well done on getting the place at Oxford! Where else had you applied to?
Yh I get what you mean, I'm trying to chose just 1 photo for each of those at the moment, finding it hard to chose :rolleyes:

Well, not one...choose 4 for each and put the rest in a sketchbook.

I also applied to ucl and glasgow, but I withdrew from those. Check out my signature for more details :lol:
Reply 8
Well, not one...choose 4 for each and put the rest in a sketchbook.

I also applied to ucl and glasgow, but I withdrew from those. Check out my signature for more details :lol:

How many photos did you send to each uni? At the moment they only want to see no more than 10 :s-smilie:
Reply 9

I wish I was good at art :frown: It's fantastic!
Reply 10
I'm in year 12 right now, and both of your portfolio's look fantastic! Gosh, I'm going to have a hard time getting a place up against pro's like you :O
Reply 11
Original post by Soares
How many photos did you send to each uni? At the moment they only want to see no more than 10 :s-smilie:

Oh, right... I had to send a minimum of 20 to oxford.
Reply 12
Oh, right... I had to send a minimum of 20 to oxford.

That's quite a lot, well done though. I cant wait to start getting replies, its all I can think about.
Reply 13

I like your splatter pieces, was this for foundation?
Reply 14
Original post by l.j.s18ftw
I like your splatter pieces, was this for foundation?

Nope, didn't do foundation.
Reply 15
Nope, didn't do foundation.

You got into oxford from the work just showing in that flickr portfolio?
Reply 16
You got into oxford from the work just showing in that flickr portfolio?

yup.
Reply 17
yup.

Don't get me wrong your work is good, predictable fine art really, but I'm a bit shocked you can slap some paint on yourself, take some below average blurry photos (attempt to make it meaningful by giving it a try hard conceptual title) and get into what is supposed to be of the best unis. I guess they don't have the prestige I thought they had.

http://www.ruskin-sch.ox.ac.uk/degreeshow/2011/kira_freije/

A reebox in a blank of wood? What a lot of untalented drivel.
Reply 18
Don't get me wrong your work is good, predictable fine art really, but I'm a bit shocked you can slap some paint on yourself, take some below average blurry photos (attempt to make it meaningful by giving it a try hard conceptual title) and get into what is supposed to be of the best unis. I guess they don't have the prestige I thought they had.

http://www.ruskin-sch.ox.ac.uk/degreeshow/2011/kira_freije/

A reebox in a blank of wood? What a lot of untalented drivel.

Sorry you feel that way, but that's art nowadays. Just take a look at the turner prize winners and nominees. Just out of curiosity, can I see your work?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Sorry you feel that way, but that's art nowadays. Just take a look at the turner prize winners and nominees. Just out of curiosity, can I see your work?

(Oh, and about the "below average blurry photos", that's not really my fault, I don't have money to buy an expensive, good camera so I had to make due with what I had...)

Lol no they were intentionally blurred? The ones called "gravity" just look like the ones I get whenever I accidentally move my camera which is not an expensive one.

But that isn't art today, really, is it? That is just a lie people make up to justify their ambiguous/meaningless work. There are SO many great current artists: Duane Hanson, sam jinks, Ron mueck, Aylssa monks, jenny saville. They all work so hard and have so much talent and are ALIVE. But I'm not much of an abstract guy, everyone has different tastes.

There's a link in this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36287644

Quick Reply

Latest