Hydrogen and electric vehicles Watch

London_psycho
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does anyone know the differences between hydrogen and electric vehicles?
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hydrogen and electricity are two different starting points for generating power to run a car....I'm not quite sure what you're asking, it seems awfully obvious.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Electric you have to plug it in and charge up the batteries. It uses electric motors rather than an engine. Electric hybrid (like the Toyota Prius) uses a small petrol engine and a large electric motor, runs on petrol to move off and electric to cruise, spare power off the engine charges up the batteries when the vehicle is moving on petrol power alone.

Hydrogen or 'fuel cell' vehicles use hydrogen gas which is burned (?) with oxygen to form water - and an energy release which is used to power the car. Fuel cell technology is very expensive and so the number of vehicles using it is limited - e.g. some buses in London run on fuel cells.
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Put simply, electric cars are a total waste of time since they do nothing to save the environment (the electricity to charge them comes from fossil fuels!!)

Hydrogen fuel cells though are the future in my opinion, and the government should be pumping much more money into their development if you ask me...
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And where does the power come from to form the hydrogen? Right now...yep, you guessed it. The good thing about fuel cell tech is that it is an excellent way of storing energy which should be taken from renewable means.
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good point; but there's no denying that hydrogen cells (at the moment at least) look like the way to go.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Of course, but only if the infrastructure in terms of generating the renewable energy keeps up - many argue this is why the fuel cell technology is taking so long. I admit it is an area I will consider entering on graduation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.26%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (164)
40.49%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.25%

Watched Threads