Rowing Watch

Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, the ones on the palms of your hands are horrid, they're always so tender and it means you can't:

a) shake hands with people
b) hold onto anything
c) wave to anybody, as they think you have some sort of disease
d) touch yourself

The sacrifices we make eh??
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by x.narb.x)
Yeh, the ones on the palms of your hands are horrid, they're always so tender and it means you can't:

a) shake hands with people
b) hold onto anything
c) wave to anybody, as they think you have some sort of disease
d) touch yourself

The sacrifices we make eh??
I think the staff of the Marlow pharmacy (we went there on training camp and bought out their entire stock of tape) thought we had leprosy or something.

There's also the problem that your hands get all rough and scratchy so you can't touch anyone else either...
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
WE BUMPED RADEGUND!! Start was rubbish but piece following was great and we bumped them before the motorway bridge! :party:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Segat1)
WE BUMPED RADEGUND!! Start was rubbish but piece following was great and we bumped them before the motorway bridge! :party:
Get in! What station were you starting off? That's a pretty quick bump by anyone's reckoning!
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Get in! What station were you starting off? That's a pretty quick bump by anyone's reckoning!
welcome to town bumps! The bumps where your first outing in your crew may well be the first day, and where there is so little consistency from year to year. It definitely makes it more enjoyable for those lucky enough to end up in a "good" crew for their position, but it's pretty pot luck on that happening.

i miss town bumps!
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
lol, we were 51. Had the sandwich boat behind us so we were right up at the lock.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We didn't do so well. Did a brilliant start and were gaining and then my seat came of my slide and got wedged, so I had to row the whole way up to the railway bridge with no legs. In hindsight should have stopped and fixed it but at the time it was not an option. The only way I could get any lean-rock action was to wedge my arse onto the seat and I now have giant bruise across my bum. Great. But we rowed over.
Ron Stoppable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Segat1)
We didn't do so well. Did a brilliant start and were gaining and then my seat came of my slide and got wedged, so I had to row the whole way up to the railway bridge with no legs. In hindsight should have stopped and fixed it but at the time it was not an option. The only way I could get any lean-rock action was to wedge my arse onto the seat and I now have giant bruise across my bum. Great. But we rowed over.
No big! Imagine getting crabbed so hard that your bum lifts off your seat and plonks down avec considerable force on the slide behind the seat. Tres painful et totally -ing when you're your VIII's stroke on your first Cambridge trip.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ron Stoppable)
No big! Imagine getting crabbed so hard that your bum lifts off your seat and plonks down avec considerable force on the slide behind the seat. Tres painful et totally -ing when you're your XIII's stroke on your first Cambridge trip.
You row in 13s? :eek:

Seat jams are worse than crabs, IMO - if you come off your seat, you can get back on it within a few strokes, (or, if you're sensible and LET GO of it, you can recover the blade) whereas if your seat is stuck, you have to carry on with it for the whole of the race - especially if it's bumps.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol, cheers Helenia. No wonder he's catching crabs in a 13.

First night girl caught a crab, thrown out of boat, hithead on oar, went down, hit head on stern, went down, hit head on bumping boat's bow. Ow.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Urgh we got bumped by Champs they hit us very very hard and got a right *******ing for it and we tore a hole in thier bow . Unfortuanltey we managed to steer into the side of the river, after motorway bridge, big news being sandwich boat overbumped!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hurray for overbumps! Hurray for carnage!
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh well, Friday night we were bumped by a bunch of 13 yr old boys. Or so they looked like. Anyway, we revived the Beer Tree and drank a lot. Was so much fun! Can't wait til next year. Excellent news is that I have been asked to be sub for women's squad for the rest of the yr.
Ron Stoppable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Q: I've possibly been rowing on one side too much, but after long sessions my lower-back muscles really ache a lot. How can I relieve/prevent this?
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
God knows. I took a week off and mine still hurts. Not to mention the thong burn from seat falling off incident.

Masses of photos of me rowing indicate I hunch up going up the slide, so methinks may be summink to do with it.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Make sure your back is bolt upright, it should be so straight that it'll hurt mid-upper back at first, until you get used to it.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
weather is rubbish so rowing is cancelled

One of my shcool mates made the GB squad :eek:!!
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Next term, I'm going to row semi-seriously as well as cox.

WTF have I let myself in for...?

I was told that boatying would suck me in. It has.

Although on the other hand, I'm learning to sail so can go fast with less effort.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sailors :rolleyes: pfft.
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Boaties :rolleyes: pffft.

Oh, wait... DAMNIT!

:p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.34%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.66%

Watched Threads