Turn on thread page Beta

Rowing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You dont row for KCLBC do you?

ReputationRep:
    I sure do. How come?

ReputationRep:
    Loud, shouty music that hypes me up, although I'm not too sure whether many others will like that sort of thing.. , lol. What sort of 2k/5k's are people pulling on the erg?

ReputationRep:
    "Eye of the Tiger", "Top Gun" theme, "Final Countdown"... all of which are inextricably linked in my mind to the whirrrrrr-RRRUm of the C2 and the PAIN...

Basically, any kind of classic rock works well.

(Oh, and I've got a 7:20 2k, was 60kg at the time and I'm still a shortarse!)

ReputationRep:
    Showoff, FTB!
    I've got a 2k test today. Here's hoping...our coach wants us all to get personal bests. :>.<:

ReputationRep:
    He's not one of those coaches that makes you do a 2k untill you pb is he/she?! I also have my 30 min test today

ReputationRep:
    Went out tonight and had an awesome time. One of the best things about town club coxing is night rowing. Out on the river in fog and darkness is a big confidence builder! If I can manage that, I can manage anything. My men's IV just took off and there was a 500 metre stretch, overtaking a men's VIII who were going for it- and dodging another boat coming towards me- when we just absolutely flew.

*Rhapsodises* :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got 8.10. I'm not very impressed by that. I wanted 8 minutes, dammit.

I don't think he's one of those coaches. I do hope not. I hate hate hate 2k with a passion. I always verbally abuse anyone who shouts at me while I'm on the machine, too.

I like night rowing, too, but we never have any lights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theredsox)
    I got 8.10. I'm not very impressed by that. I wanted 8 minutes, dammit.

I don't think he's one of those coaches. I do hope not. I hate hate hate 2k with a passion. I always verbally abuse anyone who shouts at me while I'm on the machine, too.
    You've just not been shouted at in the right way

I like night rowing, too, but we never have any lights.
    Seriously, if you're on the Tideway you really shouldn't be without... it's very dangerous to say the least! And, even if not, there's the possibility of other boats colliding.

Having had a head on collision at full speed at night, I can say that it is VERY scary!

http://www.simocorowingclub.org/modu...g2_itemId=1498

The bow section was bent round parallel to the rest of the boat, flooding the front compartment. People were off seats. ARA were informed.

Oh, and it wasn't my fault- there was a double on the wrong side of the river, overtaking, who didn't see us and didn't stop when told to by the boat they were overtaking! Error...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that's why we tend not to get any night rowing. How'd you know I'm on the Tideway? Is your knowledge of boat clubs really that amazing? (Or is it cause the Oxford/Cambridge boat race finishes by us?)

Ouch! That must have been vaguely terrifying. I've had many collisions, but never at night.

ReputationRep:
    You're at KCL, what other rowable stretches of water are there in London? The collision itself was actually surprisingly unscary. Just a massive "crunch!" and then a sudden stop. I just went straight into get-to-the-bank mode, which we did, as I couldn't assess the damage from where I was.

I'm glad it was an VIII and not a bow loader.....

ReputationRep:
    Ouch! that crash looks pretty bad... did anyone get hit by any blades?! Well done on your 2k! I got 1:47.5 for my 30 min, which im fairly happy with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bmx18)
    Ouch! that crash looks pretty bad... did anyone get hit by any blades?! Well done on your 2k! I got 1:47.5 for my 30 min, which im fairly happy with.
    Not really, the bow canvas of the VIII went up into the rigger of the double and so was snapped off there. Luckily they hit so close, a close-in blade clash at that speed would have done damage to people, not just equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    You're at KCL, what other rowable stretches of water are there in London?
    Very true! In fact yesterday I saw the end of Oxford heats for the Oxford Cambridge boat race. They looked good - you better watch your back!
    In fact I had my last rowing of the term yesterday. That saddens me.

ReputationRep:
    Talking of 2k ergs, i did my first in ages today, pulled a 7:18, that was with a hangover from last night, and a stomach full of curry i had eaten 20 mins beforehand (i was feeling it on the last 500 metres) lol... so considering, im quite satisfied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear_Grylls)
    Talking of 2k ergs, i did my first in ages today, pulled a 7:18, that was with a hangover from last night, and a stomach full of curry i had eaten 20 mins beforehand (i was feeling it on the last 500 metres) lol... so considering, im quite satisfied.
    Showoff. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theredsox)
    Showoff. :p:
    Its allright but my mates are getting 6.59's n stuff :/ and at 6'6 + 85kgs i guess i should be getting better, but as a first ill take it, going to try again tomorrow i reckon.

when i get back in jan there doing 1k 2k and 5k ergs to assess us and decide which crews we go in...not looking foward to that :/

ReputationRep:
    5k's are pretty bloody awful, as it's not much off 2k pace, but you have to do another 3k.
    Are you doin the tests rate capped?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, mine wasn't capped. So really I should have done better. I really really want to get 8 minutes by the next test!
    When I used to be late for rowing training, my coach would make me do 10k. That was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh rite, rate capped tests annoy me, because I'm either just below the stroke cap or just below :mad:
    My last 2k was rate 24 and I got 6:48.3, so hopefully 6:25/30ish in a few months time(free rate).
    And we have to do 18k every tuesday! And I havent even got to university yet, lol, bordem sets in fairly quickly...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.