Rowing Watch

theredsox
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, you're all showoffs here! Here I am trying my bestest to break 8 minutes and you're well into 6...
:mad:
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
10k and 18k :s

dont mind doing 10k+ in the water, but on the rowing machine its so tedious.

What should the drag on the rowing machine be again? 135?the machine i used today is a concept 2, different to the one at uni, and my times are varying a bit
Keith Lemon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol, well to be honest there aren't many woman pulling sub 7 2k's! and anything around 8 or sub 8 is really good! I think to get into the womens senior GB trials you have to pull 7:20ish, but don't quote me.
Drag will vary with different machines, but I train on Concepts 2's and the drag factor is usually around 135 like you said, or about 6 on the little fan thing on the side.
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's recieved wisdom in Cambridge to set the drag (using the slider on the side of the fan) at about 4 as that's most like rowing in a boat. Any higher's unrealistic.

Which other machines apart from a C2 do you use, Bear? A RowPerfect? The drag factors and the model they use to calculate split etc. is VERY different to C2s, although the force curve on the conputer screen is very useful.

Just got the results in for the race I had on Saturday. We won our division, woop! In a scratch crew which had never rowed together. 4th overall behind bigger, more practiced (and younger!) boats. Happy with that! They were damn good races. My call of "Heads up, boys! Eyes up, chins up! 20 strokes to go, get the legs on now and COMMIT! Up 2, GO! BELIEVE!" worked a charm
Bear_Grylls
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FadeToBlackout)
It's recieved wisdom in Cambridge to set the drag (using the slider on the side of the fan) at about 4 as that's most like rowing in a boat. Any higher's unrealistic.

Which other machines apart from a C2 do you use, Bear? A RowPerfect? The drag factors and the model they use to calculate split etc. is VERY different to C2s, although the force curve on the conputer screen is very useful.

Just got the results in for the race I had on Saturday. We won our division, woop! In a scratch crew which had never rowed together. 4th overall behind bigger, more practiced (and younger!) boats. Happy with that! They were damn good races. My call of "Heads up, boys! Eyes up, chins up! 20 strokes to go, get the legs on now and COMMIT! Up 2, GO! BELIEVE!" worked a charm
Cheers ill set to about 4, not sure on the brand of the other machine, but ill check when i go back to uni in jan.
Bear_Grylls
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just out of interest, what is a reasonable 5K time on the rower?
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's your height, weight etc? But for men (depends on how long you've been rowing for) but around the 18min mark is ok, anything under 16 is similar to the GB mens squad, to give you a rough idea.
theredsox
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Officially reviving this thread.
I still haven't broken 8 minutes in my 2k test, but I'm trying!
Bear_Grylls
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We're starting todo single sculling now, not liking all the stories i hear of people falling in, but we're starting off in the laser, which is apprantly un-capsizeable lol.
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good way to start- I started to learn (using the word in the loosest possible sense...) in a clinker scull and, after capsizing three times, gave up. I never managed to get beyond wobbly arms-only paddling in a proper fine scull. There's a reason why I cox and don't scull.... even worse is, as coxing and safety officer, having to record my efforts as "Capsize due to Incompetance". Oops.
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Singles are so scary to start with!
I fell in once, but have had many near swims... after a handful of outings, once confidence has built, they are so easy, and pretty fun too, if you are used to big heavy 4's or 8's.
They accelarate realy well, and are excellent for honing you skills, as every little thing you do wrong will have quite a big consequense on the stability and speed of the boat.

Oh and as long as you keep hold of your blades you will never fall in, I made the mistake of catching a crab and loosing my blade behind me....plop, "s***!"
In the end of the day its only water, and you can get a shower straight after
theredsox
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, singles! I got farmed out into a single for a whole year. Singles now hold no fear for me.
They're brilliant for balance, though. Absolutely brilliant. Everyone should learn. You, too, James! Being a cox is no excuse. Or incompetent.
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theredsox)
Ah, singles! I got farmed out into a single for a whole year. Singles now hold no fear for me.
They're brilliant for balance, though. Absolutely brilliant. Everyone should learn. You, too, James! Being a cox is no excuse. Or incompetent.
Well, I've done it in a proper training scull too. My coach's one comment was "You're not a born sculler". Meh. I'll work on my sweep, there's less chance of falling in and catching some horrible vile Weil's Disease....

(Oh, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QZId78_Q4 is our little rivulet. Fun!)
theredsox
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure I've caught Weil's disease already. Or something horribly nasty. I've put far too many open cuts into the Thames.

I had to look rivulet up. :blush:

(Oh, I just saw what you did there with vile Weil. Clever. I'm not really with it today!)
Bear_Grylls
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bmx18)
Oh and as long as you keep hold of your blades you will never fall in,
Really? what if you get caught in the embankment, in the river we row in theres load of overgrown tree's going into the river and its so easy to steer into them as its not the widest of rivers lol.

And its not so much the water, its the shame of falling in. nooooooooooo
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well it's what I've always been told, lol, and it's what I do, as for hitting trees/banks etc, just keep your hands reasonably level and back it down/ push off with your blade(leaning towards the outside rigger, if that makes sense).
Honestly they really aren't as bad as you think once you have sculled a few times.

As for shame, nearly everyone falls in! I wouldn't really worry, lol.
Bear_Grylls
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
today was such a nice day for rowing, really enjoyed it in the laser, can just go at your own pace. next week going to try the next one up from the laser, them brown single skulls, couple capsized in them today, tho it wouldnt have been to bad as it was not that cold.
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bear_Grylls)
today was such a nice day for rowing, really enjoyed it in the laser, can just go at your own pace. next week going to try the next one up from the laser, them brown single skulls, couple capsized in them today, tho it wouldnt have been to bad as it was not that cold.
Today was a good day for rowing. Pretty much like summer, really. Yesterday was equally good; lucky, as I fell in! :p: My legs, cramped from teh coxes seat, collapsed and dumped me into the COLD water between the boat and the bank. It really was hilarious!
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Today was a good day for rowing. Pretty much like summer, really. Yesterday was equally good; lucky, as I fell in! :p: My legs, cramped from teh coxes seat, collapsed and dumped me into the COLD water between the boat and the bank. It really was hilarious!
Hahaha! I'd loved to have seen that!
And yesterday was like summer, really really nice day, and perfect conditions.
theredsox
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:laugh: Legend!
I know! It was so nice to row in. Except at the beginning, when it was bloody freezing cold. Why oh why do we have to row so early in the morning? It had only just started warming up when we had to stop!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (154)
27.55%
No (405)
72.45%

Watched Threads