Rowing Watch

Keith Lemon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Soon I'll be back on the water for evening training sessions! I really can't wait, I've had enough of bloody ergs :/, I just want to get out in my single in my all in one again!

Lets just hope the decent weather contiues right through the summer! and no more floods this time...
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bmx18)
I just want to get out in my single in my all in one again!
Inevitably, it just comes down to liking lycra, doesn't it :p:
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hahaha, maybe , but I'm not going to admit it....

Edit: Thanks to who ever repped me! :eek:
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOv1X...eature=related

:rofl:
theredsox
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bloody ****ing OW!
I forgot just how much sculling destroys the skin on your legs.
Bloody runners.
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hahaha, that video is stupid, what has rowing really got to do with God?!

You forgot to mention the new variety of blisters sculling brings...

Oh and I'm now being coached by Peter Haining for 6 months! If your not sure who he is he's been to to worlds and olympics several times, and holds the LW mens 30min erg record with a 1:38.1 split!
UpliftMof0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its good to revive 6 month old threads, no? yes! I'm planning on starting rowing at uni when i start this October. going to bristol. Does anyone know much about the quality of Bristol Rowing? I'm going to be so unfit when I start, but a bit of competitiveness should see me keeping fit.

From the physical training perspective, is it for the most part getting as much time rowing (machine ectc) as possible, or would a uni squad be looking at doing weights,running and other different training methods?
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
First thing's first is ramp up your cardio, you can't learn to row when you're knackered (to start with, later on, rowing when knackered is a key part of training). To start off with, go for runs or cane the cycling, but you have to go at it hard.

A uni squad I guess would be doing as much dry training as wet. Circuit training and weights being key, along with endurance and regular fitness tests on the ergs. I rowed Oxford Torpids, which is pretty competitive and our typical week was this:

Monday - 6-7 circuits
Tuesdays - day off
Wednesdays - 6-8 am river outing, 6-7 pm circuits
Thursdays - 6-8 pm erg tests (2k, 4*1k, 8*500, done as sprints or rate work)
Fridays - long erg, - 1 hour, try to rate under 2mins per 500 throughout
Saturdays - 10-1 river outing
Sundays - 10-1 river outing
HPC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Going to trial for world class start programme after having rowed a year at college level.
I'm 6'2" and 81/82kg so the coach reckons I'd be perfect for training for top level lightweight. If i can lose the weight (75kg max). Anyone with experience in this area... reckon an intensive programme is just gonna bulk me up even further? How should I lose the weight whilst continuting to train? Should I even lose the weight...would it be unhealthy?
Anyone else out there in the position of being a heavy lightweight and a light heavyweight??haha
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How to lose the weight? Just do lots of long distance rowing and no weights. At 82kg I'd be inclined to just be a heavyweight though, a stone is quite a lot to lose - unless your bodyfat % is quite high?
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lightweight at 6'2"??
I would have said you are a little too big, unless you want to look really skinny, and it would undoubtedly limit you as to what weights you can do, as your weight will increase, If i were you (what I'm trying to do, being 6,4ft and around 86kg)is just to build up to 95/100kg(ish), that way you don't need to worry about being too heavy or eating too much.
HPC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Keith Lemon)
Lightweight at 6'2"??
I would have said you are a little too big, unless you want to look really skinny, and it would undoubtedly limit you as to what weights you can do, as your weight will increase, If i were you (what I'm trying to do, being 6,4ft and around 86kg)is just to build up to 95/100kg(ish), that way you don't need to worry about being too heavy or eating too much.
Yeah you have a point, although you've got a 2 inch and 4kg advantage over me for starters! I guess I'm just worried that I'll never get into many high-performance kinda boats when competing with "the bigger boys" lol

Rowing is the only sport where I feel kinda small....!
Tabris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HPC)
Yeah you have a point, although you've got a 2 inch and 4kg advantage over me for starters! I guess I'm just worried that I'll never get into many high-performance kinda boats when competing with "the bigger boys" lol

Rowing is the only sport where I feel kinda small....!
I know what you mean, I'm a decent height at 6'. But when I went to try rowing a week ago, nearly everyone else was around 4" taller than me.

That, and I haven't done any exercise for like 18months, so I'm really unfit atm. I'll stick it through the rest of the year though. Or die trying.
Fionelo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tabris)
I know what you mean, I'm a decent height at 6'. But when I went to try rowing a week ago, nearly everyone else was around 4" taller than me.

That, and I haven't done any exercise for like 18months, so I'm really unfit atm. I'll stick it through the rest of the year though. Or die trying.
Seriously don't feel bad. I'm 5'10" and skinny as hell (63kg) and yet I pull 6:35.7 for a 2k

Get doing weights and cross-training as it tends to build up muscle and fitness really quickly.
Tabris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fionelo)
Seriously don't feel bad. I'm 5'10" and skinny as hell (63kg) and yet I pull 6:35.7 for a 2k

Get doing weights and cross-training as it tends to build up muscle and fitness really quickly.
Jesus Christ! How long ago was that.

Cheers though

Also, that is really impressive for your height and weight!
Fionelo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
about 2 months ago...

you'd be surprised though you just need to knuckle down and not over-pace yourself

5k time isn't too good though 18:57
Tabris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I meant my post lol, it's from like last October, that's almost a year ago now!
Fionelo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol xD
Fionelo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Maya)
Allot of rowers are arrogant, argumentative *********. Maybe you should find your local club. Scullers aren't though there nice.
lol
Aubydoll
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh I'm so excited to start rowing! *Squeee* At uni probably, I'm sure I'll be awful at first. :P Is there anything I should do in preparation for it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.34%
No (202)
72.66%

Watched Threads