The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Help!
Does anyone have any problems eating back their exercise calories?!
I did an hour of cardio at the gym and logging that as 450 calories. Today I've eaten:

B: a banana (90) coffee (10)
L: a chicken and cucumber sandwich and a muller light yogurt (300 calories)
S: a tin of pears (150)
D: a jacket potato with beans and low fat cheese (450)
myfitnesspal is showing I'm netting 564! which is awful. my target is 1300 per day but how can I eat more when I'm not hungry and don't want to just eat junk food for the sake of calories? :/
Original post by infairverona
Help!
I did an hour of cardio at the gym and logging that as 450 calories. Today I've eaten:

myfitnesspal is showing I'm netting 564! which is awful. my target is 1300 per day but how can I eat more when I'm not hungry and don't want to just eat junk food for the sake of calories? :/

I have issues eating back exercise cals when I do a late afternoon workout and burn around 800 cals. Because as well as a normal sized dinner, an extra 800 cals feels like loads of food, but I can't just balance it out at every meal because if I ate back exercise cals before I burned them I'd end up never burning them.. if that makes sense. I'd always be in calorie debt!

But I'd say don't worry too bad about it. If you feel hungry, have a piece of fruit or something, but before I signed up to MFP I never bothered with exercise cals, as I just counted exercise and diet as two completely different things, and I survived just fine!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I have issues eating back exercise cals when I do a late afternoon workout and burn around 800 cals. Because as well as a normal sized dinner, an extra 800 cals feels like loads of food, but I can't just balance it out at every meal because if I ate back exercise cals before I burned them I'd end up never burning them.. if that makes sense. I'd always be in calorie debt!

But I'd say don't worry too bad about it. If you feel hungry, have a piece of fruit or something, but before I signed up to MFP I never bothered with exercise cals, as I just counted exercise and diet as two completely different things, and I survived just fine!

Yep! I went to the gym in the morning and then had to do uni work so I haven't been eating much all day, the thought of eating another 800 just to hit 1300, when I've just had dinner, is a bit daunting though! Ok thanks, I'll give it a miss :smile:
Help!

It's best to try and eat your exercise calories whenever you can, but it's okay not to sometimes! No use in stuffing yourself if you're not hungry. If you are struggling to get your calories up on a regular basis, try having some high-calorie but healthy foods like almonds and other nuts or peanut butter :smile:

Also from looking at your food diary, if you can, try to eat a bigger breakfast when you've been working out :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys, need to lose some pounds... A friend suggested Banana Diet. Any experiences?
Original post by rsp
Aaa thanks everyone ive lost another 3 pounds so lost 20 pound altogether now and I already feel loads better. Starting the c25k today and I am megga nervous don't think I am fit enough to do this!!!!

Don't worry about not being fit enough. I couldn't run 3 mins when I first went to the gym. Last time I did a long run I was able to do 12km in about 62min. Big difference from where I was before. Just go for it and soon enough you will find 5k easy to do and would want to push yourself to go further.

Pic of one of my new coats :-). It's a size 10, and I think quite flattering!

Spoiler

You look amazing and you should be proud.
My boyfriend's BMR is 2,400.

He has set MFP to allow him to eat 3,500 per day.

He doesn't bloody move all day, so it's hardly surprising that he isn't losing weight and is, in fact, slowly gaining it still. He has a go at me for saying he isn't trying, and believes that because he's "within his calories" there must be something wrong with his body to mean he isn't losing weight.. he's just set his cals too high but won't accept that he could probably reduce them by 1,000 a day and still only just be able to lose weight based on the amount of activity he does. It's like talking to a brick wall. He usually eats at least 3 times the amount of food I do every day, sometimes going as high as 4,000 cals at the weekend. Something is going to have to change soon. I don't care if he doesn't want to lose weight (well obviously I'm worried about his health, but he has to WANT it just as much as I do) but at least don't rub my nose into the fact he isn't even trying! His MFP diaries are just shocking.
Reply 2287
Help!

Ditch all the 'light' yoghurts and low fat cheese back for full fat. Fat is not the enemy and as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight (but do try to net 1200 and at the very least eat 1200 in the first place which you don't seem to be managing either).
Then add in more healthy snacks - I personally love dried fruit and frozen grapes, but nuts and seeds will be great.

I will admit I don't always eat back all my exercise calories on the day I do the exercise BUT I then use this as extra food on a rest day so that over the course of the week I am reaching my goal.
For example today I did 800 calories worth of exercise and my net at the end of the day is 1000. Tomorrow is a rest day so I would usually only get 1280 (which I find quite hard to do) but I'll add those extra 200 and get to eat 1480 while maintaining an overall deficit

He doesn't bloody move all day, so it's hardly surprising that he isn't losing weight and is, in fact, slowly gaining it still. He has a go at me for saying he isn't trying, and believes that because he's "within his calories" there must be something wrong with his body to mean he isn't losing weight.. he's just set his cals too high but won't accept that he could probably reduce them by 1,000 a day and still only just be able to lose weight based on the amount of activity he does. It's like talking to a brick wall. He usually eats at least 3 times the amount of food I do every day, sometimes going as high as 4,000 cals at the weekend. Something is going to have to change soon. I don't care if he doesn't want to lose weight (well obviously I'm worried about his health, but he has to WANT it just as much as I do) but at least don't rub my nose into the fact he isn't even trying! His MFP diaries are just shocking.

3500 calories sounds more like a male bulking diet than what he should be eating to maintain or even lose the weight. Unfortunately though there is not much you can do about his weight loss. The only way he is going to lose the weight is if he decides himself that he wants to lose the weight.

I don't know how to explain this online but if you ask anyone who has successfully lost the weight what made them decided to do it 99% of the time they would tell you that something happened in their life that triggered something in their brain to make them say enough is enough (e.g maybe its a doctor warning, being diagnose with an obesity related illness, or a comment someone made about their weight or looking at a photo and realising how fat they have gotten, not being able to fit into a seat of a ride in a theme park e.t.c). What I am trying to say is that until that day comes when something happens and clicks in his brain that enough is enough nothing you would say would make him lose the weight. I think you got to let him figure this out on his own even though you are trying to help.

Hope my post makes sense
Reply 2289

:eek:

Mine's 1685 :erm:
Original post by Liam_G
:eek:

Mine's 1685 :erm:

Chrisateen- that absolutely makes sense, thank you, but his healthy is rubbish at the moment as he has T2 diabetes which is particularly bad right now.. Frustrating that he could do something about it!

Liam- he's 6'3" and almost 19 stone so that's why his bmr is so high!
Reply 2291
I've joined the Fitocracy craze - add me! My username is Damnesia. I don't know how long I'll manage to stick to logging stuff on MFP and here but we'll see. Started off with a quick swim earlier :smile:
Reply 2292
Chrisateen- that absolutely makes sense, thank you, but his healthy is rubbish at the moment as he has T2 diabetes which is particularly bad right now.. Frustrating that he could do something about it!

Wow jeesh T2 diabetes? How old is he? I agree completely with Chrisateen btw.
Hi guys. i wanted to write this in here as you're all probably clued up to the eyeballs on fitness and diet and weight etc. I have a slight problem.

Since November I've lost 20lbs+ . I'm 5ft 4" I did weigh 154lbs last time I had an asthma check up in November. I now weigh 133lbs. And I don't think I've done anything near that to warrant losing that amount of weight compared to seeing the effort that everyone in here goes to losing weight to be healthy.

I know I've been eating less because i've been feeling sick, every single day. I've been to the doctors about all of this and they did 2 blood tests, both which came back as having slightly elevated prolactin levels (which are normally raised when your pregnant and getting ready to breastfeed, I'm not pregnant!) which I'm going to see an endocrinologist about. But I'm still having plain cornflakes/plain toast , a plain sandwich or salad, juice, fruit, my mums home cooked dinners, and a bit of chocolate or yoghurt etc when I feel up to it, basically, plain boring stuff, nothing that could set my stomach off. I am on a gluten free diet, but pasta/bread is replaced with gluten free stuff and everything else is gluten free.

Exercise wise, I am a slob. I dont do much besides Irish dancing for an hour a week during term time. Might go for a walk sometimes if I don't feel too queasy , the rest of the time I'm in front of my laptop/TV/study desk.

I can't figure out whats going on. Can anyone think of anything?I'm trying to analyse stuff before I see the endocrinologist.

I learnt what I posted before the hard way with my experience with my mum. Mum also has T2 diabetes but some of the choices she makes is not great and I have tried to push her to do more about sorting out her weight and sometimes her health not only has an impact on herself but on the whole family as well. At the end of the day i can't force her and in fact I decided not to bother her much about it anymore. When her time is right and she is ready and had enough (like I did) she would lose the weight. it is scary though that something like T2D is not enough for our love ones to do something about the weight
Reply 2295
I know exactly what you mean, Chrisateen. have a friend who has type two diabetes, and has been told that her blood pressure is so high that the resultant strain she's putting on her eyes could eventually make her blind. After all of this she still hasn't decided to change her lifestyle. In fact, she's been at uni since September, and I'm pretty sure she's gained a lot of weight :sad:

I can't think of anything that would give me more motivation than the chance to save my sight.
Reply 2296
Original post by insignificant
Hi guys. i wanted to write this in here as you're all probably clued up to the eyeballs on fitness and diet and weight etc. I have a slight problem.

Since November I've lost 20lbs+ . I'm 5ft 4" I did weigh 154lbs last time I had an asthma check up in November. I now weigh 133lbs. And I don't think I've done anything near that to warrant losing that amount of weight compared to seeing the effort that everyone in here goes to losing weight to be healthy.

I know I've been eating less because i've been feeling sick, every single day. I've been to the doctors about all of this and they did 2 blood tests, both which came back as having slightly elevated prolactin levels (which are normally raised when your pregnant and getting ready to breastfeed, I'm not pregnant!) which I'm going to see an endocrinologist about. But I'm still having plain cornflakes/plain toast , a plain sandwich or salad, juice, fruit, my mums home cooked dinners, and a bit of chocolate or yoghurt etc when I feel up to it, basically, plain boring stuff, nothing that could set my stomach off. I am on a gluten free diet, but pasta/bread is replaced with gluten free stuff and everything else is gluten free.

Exercise wise, I am a slob. I dont do much besides Irish dancing for an hour a week during term time. Might go for a walk sometimes if I don't feel too queasy , the rest of the time I'm in front of my laptop/TV/study desk.

I can't figure out whats going on. Can anyone think of anything?I'm trying to analyse stuff before I see the endocrinologist.

You say you have been eating less due to feeling unwell, so that could explain the weight loss. Prolactin levels can be raised for multiple reasons, you've probably read up on it already - things such as stress, thyroid problems, certain drugs, problems with the pituitary gland etc. Sometimes doctors can't find the answer why. Symptom-wise, high levels of prolactin cause periods to slow/stop, breast milk production (even if you're not pregnant or breast-feeding) and breast tenderness. You don't mention any of these so my suspicion is that the levels are only raised slightly. You have a referral to an endocrinologist soon so my advice would be to try to rest your mind and put your questions to the doctor at your appointment. There really is little point in trying to analyse it until you've seen an expert. A simple answer is that you may just be eating too little, or it might be connected to something else. Just wait for your appointment and ask the doctor then. :smile:
Original post by Lu-x
Wow jeesh T2 diabetes? How old is he? I agree completely with Chrisateen btw.

On phone so pain to multiquote sorry! He's 28, been diagnosed since he was 26, which I think is a ridiculous age to be developing something that can be to some extent controlled. He has to do a finger prick 4 times a day at the moment, and take about 10 pills every day, and they're now threatening him with insulin if his sugars don't improve. His sight is getting progressively worse, he's losing feeling in his feet, things aren't great in the bedroom (sorry if tmi lol) and he has the ability to change all that!

As I've said before, I think I've ranted about this in the last few weeks haha, I worry so much about him, reading stories about blindness, amputations and at worst death scares me. What scares me the most is that most of these stories are from people at least twice his age, yet he's already getting to the stage where these things are being mentioned. I worry for myself as well. How I'd cope if anything happened to him. This will sound stupid but I even worry about having kids with him because I don't want my kids to lose their Dad.. How mad am I worrying about people who don't even exist yet!
Original post by Liam_G
I know exactly what you mean, Chrisateen. have a friend who has type two diabetes, and has been told that her blood pressure is so high that the resultant strain she's putting on her eyes could eventually make her blind. After all of this she still hasn't decided to change her lifestyle. In fact, she's been at uni since September, and I'm pretty sure she's gained a lot of weight :sad:

I can't think of anything that would give me more motivation than the chance to save my sight.

it is scary. Sometimes I'm actually annoyed with my mum about the issue as well (don't want to go into details about her health but some of the things she has suffered from is scary). But then I remember that I was like that before and didn't know better until something happened and I saw the light. All we can do is hope that they can see the light to before its too late.
Reply 2299
Alright day again today- nice to be back at uni and to get into a proper routine with eating, studying etc-

Breakfast: porridge with apple, cinnamon and raisins
Lunch: tomato and red pepper soup, roll. Small slice of (un-iced) fruit cake
Afternoon: 2 satsumas, 3 biscuits (not so good!)
Dinner: chicken kiev with broccoli and green beans

Exercise: 20 minute cycle

Latest