The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
I drive into uni but I'd say I'm fairly active on a daily basis. I find it so difficult to eat alot but eat healthy at the same time if that makes sense. I think that maybe i'm just at the lowest weight that my body will go. I'm 5,5 and 8st6lbs (2 stone in total) so maybe I should stop obsessing. Tbh 8 stone is the lowest I can be before i'm apparently underweight. I know it was a stupid ultimate goal to set but I really wanted to reach it just to say that I did achieve it! I just don't look how my stats sound at all...

I understand what you mean about wanting to reaching the goal you set yourself. I originally wanted to make it to 8st13, simpley because I wanted to see an 8 instead of a 9. But I realised that pushing myself too far was just going to end up making me unhappy, both in terms of how I felt mentally, and I how I felt about my body. So I've stopped at 9st6. If 8st would put you colse to being underweight, I'd advise stopping now, at least for a bit - think about how much it will take to lose those last 6lbs, and whether it's really worth it. You're at a healthy BMI, and 2st is a really amazing achievement :smile:

I also get what you mean about the healthy eating thing, I really struggle some days to keep my calories up without resorting to eating junk food. My tip would be to start increasing your portions sizes slowly - when we're dieting, we get so used to smaller portions of food it becomes normal. Try adding a little bit more, but slowly - say an extra 10g of cereal, or another slice of toast in the mornings, and an extra 10g of rice/pasta or another potato at dinner, etc, etc.

:hugs:

p.s. No idea why someone negged you for that, but I've pos repped to balance it out a bit.
Reply 401
Tbh I'm not really sure. I don't have an HRM and I generally don't go by what the treadmills say due to inaccuracy. An average workout for me on a weekend consists of 30mins of treadmill, 45 spinning and an hour of body pump. Or it could be 40mins treadmill (and I run at least 30mins of it on 11.5-11.8km/hr), half hour kettlebell class and then 45 spin. Basically I always do 45 cardio plus a class at the very very least. In terms of food, I have been eating a fair bit but this week I didn't go over my BMR on average and I still lost nothing. But apparently I look slimmer esp in my arms which were my major weakness:confused:

Towards the end of January/ start of February, my weight loss had slowed down to a standstill. Then I had half term and ended up eating more than I normally would have, stepped on the scales, and I'd lost 1.5lbs!!! I think maybe I was eating too few calories, and so by eating more my metabolism got a boost, and hence I lost weight. It was a pleasant surprise anyway!!! Perhaps you need to eat a bit more?
Original post by 123Josh123
Hey guys, I am trying to lose a bit of weight (more for appearance than the actual number), and increase muscle mass. I currently weigh just over 9 stone, and go to the gym 3 times a week, I mainly do weight lifting with little or no cardio (excluding warm up), I understand that cardio will help me to lose some of the fat, but I have heard that it will also make my weight training less effective. I have also completely changed my diet (from a lot of fatty foods, takeaways and snacks to healthy meals rich in protein every night-including fish and chicken), my only let down is my breakfasts, I am not a morning person, and tend to have to get up early for uni, so have those Belvita breakfast biscuits, I know this isn't very healthy, but they tend to fill me up until lunch, and I had figured I needed some sugar in my diet. I don't really enjoy eating bland foods (as I'm sure everyone doesn't), and the only healthy cereal seems to be bland-hence I don't have it, and I am also not very keen on eating eggs either. What could I do to improve my training, or to improve my diet?
Thanks guys!

How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking? It's just 9st seems pretty light, especially for a guy.

Have you tried porridge for breafast - there's loads you can add to it to make it more interesting, and the Quaker Oats sachets are great if you're not a morning person, cause they hardly take any effort. I really like mine with peanut butter and a little nutella, and I know other people add fruit, or honey/syrup/spices.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36437516']How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking? It's just 9st seems pretty light, especially for a guy.

Have you tried porridge for breafast - there's loads you can add to it to make it more interesting, and the Quaker Oats sachets are great if you're not a morning person, cause they hardly take any effort. I really like mine with peanut butter and a little nutella, and I know other people add fruit, or honey/syrup/spices.

I am 5'6", I know it seems pretty light, but my stomach is pretty fatty and so is my chest and thighs :/
I used to have it, but got a little bored with it, I just used to add sugar, jam or chocolate spread, but peanut butter sounds like a good idea! I shall trying having that, but isn't porridge unhealthy? I mean, the oats are probably quite good fibre, but the milk could be quite fatty and the other ingredients too. But I shall try it, thank you :smile:
I am 5'6", I know it seems pretty light, but my stomach is pretty fatty and so is my chest and thighs :/
I used to have it, but got a little bored with it, I just used to add sugar, jam or chocolate spread, but peanut butter sounds like a good idea! I shall trying having that, but isn't porridge unhealthy? I mean, the oats are probably quite good fibre, but the milk could be quite fatty and the other ingredients too. But I shall try it, thank you :smile:

You need some fat in your diet, and milk is a great source of protein/calcium. If you're worried about the fat content, maybe try semi-skimmed/skimmed. But in general, porridge is considered to be a pretty healthy choice for breakfast :smile:

It sounds to me like you could do with building up more muscle, rather than losing fat. You say you lift at the gym - maybe get someone to have a look at what you're doing and give you some pointers? (I'm not very knowledgable about weights, but this guy seems to know his stuff)
I do tend to have semi-skimmed milk, and try to have a glass a day. Ok, I shall switch to porridge once I run out of biscuits then :smile:
I am trying to do so, but I really want my stomach and chest to be less fatty and more defined, Ok I shall take a look, thank you very much for your help.
Over ate today, chocolate is my vice! I have to kick it! I will go to the gym though tomorrow, I have to... I feel like a sloth at the moment. Good luck to anyone weighing in today and tomorrow, I think I'll be avoiding the scales!

Edit: I was still under maintenance today, about the same as yesterday I think. It's not quite good enough though
(edited 12 years ago)
I am starting a week that is going to be pure hell (started today). I am in the orchestra for an opera this week; we had all day rehearsals today, 6-11pm tomorrow (after uni from 9am), 1-11pm Tuesday (after uni from 9), and shows every evening Wednesday-Saturday (in the theatre 5pm-very late).
The good thing - I won't have time to over eat. The bad thing - I won't have time to exercise (or work for my dissertation).

Why did I decide to be a musician?
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36437412']I understand what you mean about wanting to reaching the goal you set yourself. I originally wanted to make it to 8st13, simpley because I wanted to see an 8 instead of a 9. But I realised that pushing myself too far was just going to end up making me unhappy, both in terms of how I felt mentally, and I how I felt about my body. So I've stopped at 9st6. If 8st would put you colse to being underweight, I'd advise stopping now, at least for a bit - think about how much it will take to lose those last 6lbs, and whether it's really worth it. You're at a healthy BMI, and 2st is a really amazing achievement :smile:

I also get what you mean about the healthy eating thing, I really struggle some days to keep my calories up without resorting to eating junk food. My tip would be to start increasing your portions sizes slowly - when we're dieting, we get so used to smaller portions of food it becomes normal. Try adding a little bit more, but slowly - say an extra 10g of cereal, or another slice of toast in the mornings, and an extra 10g of rice/pasta or another potato at dinner, etc, etc.

:hugs:

p.s. No idea why someone negged you for that, but I've pos repped to balance it out a bit.

This is me..Thank you. It's horrible and quite emotional watching all my friends eating junk food and I just sit there like a lemon thinking 'why am i doing this and why am i the only one who feels like this?!!'. Thing is, I either don't eat much or go absolutely mad! I think i'm gonna focus on some resistance and change my body rather than being so caught up on what the scales say. I just hate not having a 'flat stomach' or super toned legs but I know that losing weight won't help but craving perfection isn't healthy either. I need to change my body rather than lose weight.
As for whoever neg repped, we all have our issues and insecurities
Hello. Been a while since I've posted. Still doing the slow bulk though some days I struggle far too much. It's honestly so hard going from a cutting diet onto a bulking diet where you're have several hundred calories above maintenance. At the moment I'm not really logging things onto myfitnesspal, but still adding up the calories and mostly just trying to get enough protein for my muscles to grow. I think most days I'm okay with that, but the past few days have been hard especially with the lack of protein rich food in the house, but I've been finding alternatives so hasn't been too bad. My nutrition hasn't been good though for about 3 days but hopefully tomorrow onwards should be good.

Hope everyone else is good.
This is me..Thank you. It's horrible and quite emotional watching all my friends eating junk food and I just sit there like a lemon thinking 'why am i doing this and why am i the only one who feels like this?!!'. Thing is, I either don't eat much or go absolutely mad! I think i'm gonna focus on some resistance and change my body rather than being so caught up on what the scales say. I just hate not having a 'flat stomach' or super toned legs but I know that losing weight won't help but craving perfection isn't healthy either. I need to change my body rather than lose weight.
As for whoever neg repped, we all have our issues and insecurities

I totally understand how you feel and I also feel the same way. Hopefully soon you will be able to appreciate your new body and achievements and feel content with your new body.

Original post by VampireDiaries
Hello. Been a while since I've posted. Still doing the slow bulk though some days I struggle far too much. It's honestly so hard going from a cutting diet onto a bulking diet where you're have several hundred calories above maintenance. At the moment I'm not really logging things onto myfitnesspal, but still adding up the calories and mostly just trying to get enough protein for my muscles to grow. I think most days I'm okay with that, but the past few days have been hard especially with the lack of protein rich food in the house, but I've been finding alternatives so hasn't been too bad. My nutrition hasn't been good though for about 3 days but hopefully tomorrow onwards should be good.

Hope everyone else is good.

Nice to hear from you again :biggrin:. Have you manage to gain some weight so far?
Reply 411
Hey guys, I am trying to lose a bit of weight (more for appearance than the actual number), and increase muscle mass. I currently weigh just over 9 stone, and go to the gym 3 times a week, I mainly do weight lifting with little or no cardio (excluding warm up), I understand that cardio will help me to lose some of the fat, but I have heard that it will also make my weight training less effective. I have also completely changed my diet (from a lot of fatty foods, takeaways and snacks to healthy meals rich in protein every night-including fish and chicken), my only let down is my breakfasts, I am not a morning person, and tend to have to get up early for uni, so have those Belvita breakfast biscuits, I know this isn't very healthy, but they tend to fill me up until lunch, and I had figured I needed some sugar in my diet. I don't really enjoy eating bland foods (as I'm sure everyone doesn't), and the only healthy cereal seems to be bland-hence I don't have it, and I am also not very keen on eating eggs either. What could I do to improve my training, or to improve my diet?
Thanks guys!

You could maybe try hardboiling eggs in advance and having them for breakfast? and maybe have a banana or some yoghurt with them?

-----------
So I need to start eating healthily again. The last few months I have veered between massivly undereating and then going on week long binges. And I don't mean a few extra chocolates and a packet of crisps either. I eat everything in sight and then more, its embarassing.

So from today its healthy meals and healthy snacks, and hopefully start exercising again soon :smile:
Original post by Chrisateen
I totally understand how you feel and I also feel the same way. Hopefully soon you will be able to appreciate your new body and achievements and feel content with your new body.

I hope so one day...Thank you:smile:
Reply 413
I've been useless for the past week or so food wise :p: I'm not even guilty...was getting sick and tired of calorie counting and felt like it was becoming obsessive

I don't want to spend my life refusing to eat at particular places without the calorie info in the menus/ turning down a single biscuit over a friends house/ not trying my boyfriends dessert etc :rolleyes: I'm not revolving my life around my weight forever...I need to find the balance between eating and exercise

Went out for the mile run today, first time in 4 weeks which is shocking, but I surprised myself and cut 2 seconds off my time :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:....okay its only two seconds...but I didn't even think I'd reach the time I had before...also, I definitely felt it was somewhat 'easier' than it has been before...well chuffed :biggrin: Upping the marathon training properly soon :smile: My boyfriends organising a regime...when we go next gonna up it to a mile and a half

Haven't stepped on the scales for a while...I've kept up with the exercise (spinning etc) and so I don't feel I've put on much...but I'm giving myself the next two weeks before stepping on hopefully to ensure it'll say 12 stone 4 or less :p:

Hope everyones been getting on well :smile:
Original post by Sultana
You could maybe try hardboiling eggs in advance and having them for breakfast? and maybe have a banana or some yoghurt with them?

Thank you, I find eggs a little boring though, but I could have it every once in a while.
Original post by blahhh
I've been useless for the past week or so food wise :p: I'm not even guilty...was getting sick and tired of calorie counting and felt like it was becoming obsessive

I don't want to spend my life refusing to eat at particular places without the calorie info in the menus/ turning down a single biscuit over a friends house/ not trying my boyfriends dessert etc :rolleyes: I'm not revolving my life around my weight forever...I need to find the balance between eating and exercise

Went out for the mile run today, first time in 4 weeks which is shocking, but I surprised myself and cut 2 seconds off my time :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:....okay its only two seconds...but I didn't even think I'd reach the time I had before...also, I definitely felt it was somewhat 'easier' than it has been before...well chuffed :biggrin: Upping the marathon training properly soon :smile: My boyfriends organising a regime...when we go next gonna up it to a mile and a half

Haven't stepped on the scales for a while...I've kept up with the exercise (spinning etc) and so I don't feel I've put on much...but I'm giving myself the next two weeks before stepping on hopefully to ensure it'll say 12 stone 4 or less :p:

Hope everyones been getting on well :smile:

Exactly how I feel right now. Yes, I've had a rubbish weekend eating wise, but I refuse to beat myself up about it because this is how life works - it's SO hard to eat healthy all the time, and we all deserve a bit of a break now and then.

Good luck with the marathon training :smile: I really need to start running more often - I've been being ultra careful because of my knee, but I really want to get back into before the eather gets too warm (I struggle way more when it's hot). I'm planning to get up at 7.30 on Tuesday to fit in a run before a day-long library session :smile:.
Reply 416
I think I lasted posted here a few weeks ago. The healthy eating is still going well :biggrin:

I've been going running twice a week, running around 8-10km. People (particularly girls) have noticed my improvements and have been giving me positive comments which is always great :smile: :wink:

These last few days I've hit a bit of a "wall", however I am battling through. Hopefully another full on week of healthiness this week, though I really need to cut down on my almond consumption!

Hope y'all are all doing well! :smile:
Reply 417
Thank you, I find eggs a little boring though, but I could have it every once in a while.

Hmm they can get a little boring, just good for when your in a rush I think.
I found my old tape measure from when I started my diet - still with the original measurements marked on it!

So I measured myself again and I've lost:

7in from my bust
16in from my waist
9in from my hips
14in from my widest part
3.5in from each arm
9in from my left thigh
6in from my right thigh (no idea why I've lost less from my right than my left :p:)

A little disappointed because my waist measurement is still considered 'risky' but I do have more to lose so hopefully it'll go down even more :biggrin:
Original post by amizzle91
I found my old tape measure from when I started my diet - still with the original measurements marked on it!

So I measured myself again and I've lost:

7in from my bust
16in from my waist
9in from my hips
14in from my widest part
3.5in from each arm
9in from my left thigh
6in from my right thigh (no idea why I've lost less from my right than my left :p:)

A little disappointed because my waist measurement is still considered 'risky' but I do have more to lose so hopefully it'll go down even more :biggrin:

Wow you've lost a lot from your waist. In fact I was looking at your sig properly for the first time and I didn't notice that you have lost soo much weight so well done to you. Also I notice you are planing to lose a whole person. You must feel proud for what you have achieved so far. (Pic update would be nice too :puppyeyes:

Latest