The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Must have pulled a muscle in both of my legs today, I tried to do kicks and it's one of the easiest exercises on the MFC programme and it hurt, and not the good kind of hurt. So I'm not sure what I've done :/ Had a cream bun today too, so I'll maybe see if I can do another workout later (leg depending of course).
Original post by areebmazhar
Tell me about it, I get these from deadlifting heavy weights and also power cleans. I personally just ignore them but you could buy hand tape, chalk, liquid chalk, gym gloves etc. All will do the job :smile:

Awesome, thank you! Will have a look for some gloves to wear :smile:
I just did a run but for some reason, I have a huge headache/headcold. This hasnt happened before but I can't figure out what's gone wrong. :s
Original post by FuzzySheep
I just did a run but for some reason, I have a huge headache/headcold. This hasnt happened before but I can't figure out what's gone wrong. :s

Hayfever? :confused:

__

Off on holiday in 2 days! Last minute gym session tomorrow night and Wednesday morning. Drinking lots and no carbs as of tomorrow (at the boyfriends tonight and if I don't eat bread I won't get any breakfast :P ).

Also, hugely addicted to malt loaf at the minute. As in, would eat an entire loaf in one go if I allowed myself. I'm hoping a week of going cold turkey won't kill me :frown:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
As you lose weight, your body doesn't burn as many calories doing the same amount of exercise. Also as you get fitter I imagine it has the same effect as your body doesn't need to work as hard, but I can't say that bit for absolute certainty.

Cheers that does make quite a bit of sense! Thank you for reassuring me it's not a negative change! So to challenge my body I just need to vary my cardio I'm guessing? :smile:

I'm guessing you are doing a lot of cardio as well? The thing is when you are losing weight through diet only or diet and cardio, some of the weight you lose is muscle. You have Less muscle, so your metabolism decreases, so it is harder to lose weight. To put it into perspective if I do an intense 30 minutes on the treadmill I might lose 180 calories as an estimate. Butmy body burns through around 2500 calories a day by just sitting around, so the cardio is quite insignificant if you think about it. The solution is free weight so youare correct in that. But your execution is wrong I think. 2kg dumbells are very light weights even for a girl and won't build muscle. What you need to do is squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder pressesetc with heavy weights and low reps to maintain muscle. Also after you have lifted weights your metabolism can increase by up to 30% for on average 24hrs (sorry I don't have the exact link for this). And also losing weight will make you smaller but not change your body recomposition. To do this you need heavy free weights. For example, losing weight for a woman will make her ass less fat but it will be saggy and flat after fat is lost from the area. But if you squat you will build a rounded and curvybackside that will look much better.
So to cut it short, lifting weights is much much more effective. Sorry if I sound patronising or anything but I have no idea of your existing knowledge on this.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I've lost around 45lbs so far and I really advocate the imprtance of weights. Hope this helps :smile: :smile: :smile:

And ignore the grammer, spelling etc mistakes. Typing on a touchscreen is hell!

I'm a gymnastics coach, so most of my legs are muscular anyway, including my backsite which trust me doesn't need any more definition! :tongue: Sorry for sounding argumentitive, but okay if I push myself I could do bicep curls with 5kg but no more than 5 reps- surely how do I do heavy weights if I can't even lift 5kg?
Also I don't want to get big! I just want little flab on my arms. My free weight knowledge is little to none! Also I don't really know what I'm doing with the free weights in all honesty- is there any programme or website you could recommend? :biggrin: Much appreciated thank you!
Went to the gym twice today! :O I dunno if I'm overdoing it, but wow I feel good tonight :awesome:
Hi Harriet
Sorry I can't quote you for some reason. It's good that you're arguing-never take advice from a randomer off the internet as gospel truth! My advice was for the general fatty but it seems like you are not typical and only have a little stubborn fat on your arms left to lose? First of all switching up cardio would be a good idea, do you know anything about HIIT? Basically sprint for 30s full speed then walk for 30s and do this for 15 mins, timings vary depending on fitness levels. Do this 2 or 3 times a week, if you're doing it right you will feel very tired and drained after the workout. Also by heavy weights I meant relatively heavy so if with 5kg you can do just 6 reps then go for that weight. I see a lot of girls that have light weights and doing high reps such as more than 12 which has no real advantage. For the strength training I reccommend starting strength routine by mark rippetoe, here is a detailed guide http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1. Don't worry it is pretty impossible for girls to become muscular due to their very low testosterone levels. Those female bodybuilders have had all sorts of things such as steroids, testosterone blockers and maybe even fertiliser :tongue: to get that big. But strength training will help you get more defined and a nicer shape when losing fat. Hope this has helped you, any more questions I'll be happy to answer :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6127
I've started going to the gym, and I love it, but so far all I have been doing is using the treadmill, elliptical, bike and rowing machine. I want to work on my arms and leg muscles, and want to use the strength equipment but I'm a bit intimidated. What kind of weight should I be starting with, and how many reps should I do typically? I've lifted weights before but nothing really serious.
Original post by Harriet : )
Cheers that does make quite a bit of sense! Thank you for reassuring me it's not a negative change! So to challenge my body I just need to vary my cardio I'm guessing? :smile:

I'm a gymnastics coach, so most of my legs are muscular anyway, including my backsite which trust me doesn't need any more definition! :tongue: Sorry for sounding argumentitive, but okay if I push myself I could do bicep curls with 5kg but no more than 5 reps- surely how do I do heavy weights if I can't even lift 5kg?
Also I don't want to get big! I just want little flab on my arms. My free weight knowledge is little to none! Also I don't really know what I'm doing with the free weights in all honesty- is there any programme or website you could recommend? :biggrin: Much appreciated thank you!

Hi Harriet
Sorry I can't quote you for some reason. It's good that you're arguing-never take advice from a randomer off the internet as gospel truth! My advice was for the general fatty but it seems like you are not typical and only have a little stubborn fat on your arms left to lose? First of all switching up cardio would be a good idea, do you know anything about HIIT? Basically sprint for 30s full speed then walk for 30s and do this for 15 mins, timings vary depending on fitness levels. Do this 2 or 3 times a week, if you're doing it right you will feel very tired and drained after the workout. Also by heavy weights I meant relatively heavy so if with 5kg you can do just 6 reps then go for that weight. I see a lot of girls that have light weights and doing high reps such as more than 12 which has no real advantage. For the strength training I reccommend starting strength routine by mark rippetoe, here is a detailed guide http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1. Don't worry it is pretty impossible for girls to become muscular due to their very low testosterone levels. Those female bodybuilders have had all sorts of things such as steroids, testosterone blockers and maybe even fertiliser :tongue: to get that big. But strength training will help you get more defined and a nicer shape when losing fat. Hope this has helped you, any more questions I'll be happy to answer :smile:
Original post by -jessica
I've started going to the gym, and I love it, but so far all I have been doing is using the treadmill, elliptical, bike and rowing machine. I want to work on my arms and leg muscles, and want to use the strength equipment but I'm a bit intimidated. What kind of weight should I be starting with, and how many reps should I do typically? I've lifted weights before but nothing really serious.

Hi Jessica
The best weights to do are compound movements which target the full body rather than just a specific muscle. These include exercises such as bench press, deadlift, squats, shoulder press etc. You can search them onto YouTube to get an idea of how to do them. A good routine is the starting strength routine which is for beginners, you always do 3 sets of 5 reps for all the exercises (except for deadlift). Start on a light weight and then gradually increase the weight each time. You train 3 times a week and alternate between workout A and B:

Workout A
Squat-3x5
Bench press-3x5
Deadlift-1x5

Workout B
Squat-3x5
Shoulder press-3x5
Power cleans/pendlay rows-3x5

So for e.g I do A on Tuesday, B on Thursday and A again on Saturday. Then the next week I do B on Tuesday, A on Thursday and B on Saturday and so on..

For the full details including how to do the exercises check this link:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=998224&page=1

Any more questions-feel free to ask :smile:
Thought some girls on here would like to see this pic..:smile:
squats-no-squats.jpg
*yawn*
Gym time. Totally not feeling it today, but hopefully a brisk walk over there will perk me up a bit.
X

Thanks so much all this advice is great! :smile: Can I programme a treadmill to do HIIT ( I am aware of it, it just never crossed my mind!) or could I do it with other things like a skipping rope skipping on the spot? :s-smilie:
Okay thanks for the programme, I'll try upping the weight :smile: Thanks for all the advice!
Hello Century Club!

Weighed myself this morning and I'm 11st 10.8lbs. So that is a total loss of 101.2lbs :smile: Only 1st 10lbs to go until goal :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by amizzle91
Hello Century Club!

Weighed myself this morning and I'm 11st 10.8lbs. So that is a total loss of 101.2lbs :smile: Only 1st 10lbs to go until goal :smile:

That's AMAZING well done you!
Original post by Harriet : )
Thanks so much all this advice is great! :smile: Can I programme a treadmill to do HIIT ( I am aware of it, it just never crossed my mind!) or could I do it with other things like a skipping rope skipping on the spot? :s-smilie:
Okay thanks for the programme, I'll try upping the weight :smile: Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah you can do it on the treadmill, I find thats the best method. Just remember the 30s start from when you've reached your full sprint speed and your 30s of rest start from when you reached your powerwalking speed. Don't include the time taken to increase/decrease the speed setting in those 30s. Also remember to change the intervals to suit your fitness levels. To start with I only did 25s on and 60s walking. And no problem happy to help :smile:
Hello Century Club!

Well done on that! :smile: :smile:
Hello Century Club!

Well done! That is an amazing achievement. You must be so proud.
So I've finally worked my willpower back up from when my boyfriend arrived, and after a few days back on keto I've found out I've put on 5lbs since he's been here. Bugger.
Long time no post but...

I think I've lost some weight! :awesome:

I took a photo of me on 1st July and then took a photo of me yesterday and I think I'm a bit less tubby. I took them both in pretty similar ways so hopefully I'm not fooling myself :ahee:

Latest