This discussion is closed.
Belaruce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have been doing fairly badly in my prelims, with a BBDD so far. I was wandering how others have been doing/done in previous years, and how you bounced back from the lows? I really want to do well this year, and I'm kicking myself now i never took the prelims that seriously, as we will be doing another round before easter. Thoughts on how to make sure I improve before May?
TheUnbeliever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Almost nobody achieves what they're really capable of, and a good number of people jump a grade or two, so I wouldn't sweat it unless you know you worked your hardest for these and can't see how to improve for the finals.
Belaruce
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
Almost nobody achieves what they're really capable of, and a good number of people jump a grade or two, so I wouldn't sweat it unless you know you worked your hardest for these and can't see how to improve for the finals.
I Know I could've revised much harder, so would you say I'd be able to jump up a grade fairly easily, provided I put in 100%?
TheUnbeliever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Belaruce)
I Know I could've revised much harder, so would you say I'd be able to jump up a grade fairly easily, provided I put in 100%?
My Higher maths class - I know one person went from a prelim D to an A in the final, and one from a C to an A. I'm sure there are other similar stories. I don't know you well enough to say whether you can, but a good many people do, so I wouldn't be surprised if you did.
OddThings
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have nothing to contribute to this thread as it has already been answered by The Unbeliever rather well,but thanks for making this thread OP,it was a question I was wondering about.I haven't done my prelims yet,but there is one subject I know I could do better on in the final with more practice.
Quintro
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
After my Higher prelims I went from a fail in Physics to an A, a fail in English to a B, a C in Chemistry to an A and a C in Modern Studies to a B.

Overall I went from ACCFF to AAABB, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Put it this way, you're doing better than I did and I wouldn't worry about the final exams, just put in the work and you'll be fine!
H95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would just say what everyone else said and to remind you that prelims are always harder than the actual exams !
member592149
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Quintro)
After my Higher prelims I went from a fail in Physics to an A, a fail in English to a B, a C in Chemistry to an A and a C in Modern Studies to a B.

Overall I went from ACCFF to AAABB, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Put it this way, you're doing better than I did and I wouldn't worry about the final exams, just put in the work and you'll be fine!
Is it the norm for people to jump up a grade or two?

I got ABCCC for my prelims and I hoping to get AAABB, AAAAB or AAAAA.
Quintro
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JaggySnake95)
Is it the norm for people to jump up a grade or two?

I got ABCCC for my prelims and I hoping to get AAABB, AAAAB or AAAAA.
Teachers tend to say that people will be able to score about 10% more on average in their final exams, but I think much more is possible if you put the effort in.

If you put lots of effort into your prelims, then this sort of increase is what I would expect, but if you think you could've worked a bit harder, then I don't see why you couldn't get 5A's.

By the way, I would regard ABCCC as good prelim results, baring in mind the final exams are often much easier, and you should be much better prepared for them.
john4994
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In my higher maths class last year, there was a big jump between pre-lims and finals.

Prelims: 7A's, 12B's, 10C's, 1D
Finals: 18A's, 10Bs, 2C's

You get more time to revise in the finals, they are known to be slightly easier papers, and you've had more time to get used to answering questions. Those reasons make the finals easier.
aroy45
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A big reason for prelims is to use them as a scare tactics
Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For my stadard grade prelims I did average, specifically with int 2 Biology when I just scraped a pass. However, for the actual exam I put the effort in and managed to get an A so there's no worries if you've messed your prelims up this time!

Just be happy yours are over and done with - I am spending my February break 'revising' for mine... :ashamed2:
anthonyfl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Belaruce)
I have been doing fairly badly in my prelims, with a BBDD so far. I was wandering how others have been doing/done in previous years, and how you bounced back from the lows? I really want to do well this year, and I'm kicking myself now i never took the prelims that seriously, as we will be doing another round before easter. Thoughts on how to make sure I improve before May?
Your aim should always be to move up a grade in every subject before the next set of prelims. So you should ideally set a target to get AACC.

Whether you would be content with this results, and whether they would suit the course at university you wish to study should be taken into account. So, you may be happy with AACC or you might want to improve the Cs!

Good luck! One of the reasons why prelims are good is they give you a wake up call to start studying! You have four subjects, so you might want to study one every Monday to Thursday for an hour. Just an idea

And watch, because they say prelims are harder,l but they are almost identical to the real ones!
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is this always the case? That Prelims are harder? Even in SG?
TheUnbeliever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nessie162)
Prelims aren't 'official', so whether they're easier or harder than a) any given final exam or b) the average final is entirely dependent on your school (or, alternatively, the company they buy the paper from). Personally, I always thought the two were so similar as to be not worth commenting on.
Nfergs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nessie162)
Prelims are definitely easier than the actual exam as the teachers hint at what may be in the prelim whereas in the exam you have no idea what is going to come up. Also, prelims are normally made up of past paper questions (therefore if you're revising and try a few past paper questions, you may come accross a question in your prelim that you've already practiced in class or at home) and in the case of Higher and Advanced Higher prelims, they can be made up of NABs, therefore they are slightly easier than an SQA exam.
TheUnbeliever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nfergs)
in the case of Higher and Advanced Higher prelims, they can be made up of NABs, therefore they are slightly easier than an SQA exam.
I would find this unlikely, at least for quantitative subjects, where NABs are significantly more than 'slightly easier' than the exam.
Nfergs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
I would find this unlikely, at least for quantitative subjects, where NABs are significantly more than 'slightly easier' than the exam.
Well take my Higher Modern Studies prelim for example. For the people that haven't passed their DME NAB, if they pass it in the prelim, they will pass both the prelim and NAB so don't need to take a re-sit for the NAB. This was the same case for a few other subjects in my SG last year. After all, it does depend on the teacher as they make up the prelims.
TheUnbeliever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nfergs)
Well take my Higher Modern Studies prelim for example.
Yes, sorry - I deliberately included 'quantitative' in my post. With a qualitative or essay-based subject, it's relatively straightforward to set a question and assess it at multiple levels. Whereas, say, a maths prelim made up from the NABs would just be a joke. As for 'it depends on the teacher', I'm certainly not arguing with you there!
Kerrias
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know my school hopes not because more than two thirds of my year got less than 30% in the Higher maths prelim, only about 30 people got more than 30% and only 7 people actually passed, with 1 A (from a literal genius) and 6 Cs, says a lot about my school....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (278)
15.43%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.59%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.88%
Isolating with family (128)
7.1%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (81)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.32%
Loneliness (178)
9.88%
Financial worries (74)
4.11%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (166)
9.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (129)
7.16%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.82%

Watched Threads