The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Official University of Leicester Firmers Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GMC139
Oh dear :frown: is this unique to Beaumont or in all the accommadation do you know ?

Beaumont is more publicly mocked but all catered food are pretty much the same anyway. all the food served in GMS, JoFo and Beaumont are the same, exact same breakfast and dinner in all halls
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
With regards to accommodation - I really want JF Self Catered, but I've accepted that it's over subscribed and there's a high chance I won't get it. How is GMS self catered en-suite? I didn't get a chance to visit it at the open day.

If i can't get self-catered en-suite at Oadby, I'm probably going to go for Opal Court. I guess being close to the university would make up for the additional cost.

Prayin I get JF :thumbsup:
Reply 82
Original post by GMC139
oh good :smile: I just want something... anything ;P
what course will you be studying ? :smile:

:biggrin:

I'll be studying Medical Biochemistry. Had a quick look through your old posts to see what you applied for... don't think our course choice can be more different :tongue:
Original post by fallenangel
I'll be studying Medicine - and yourself?

Haha I loved JF - I'm prayin I get self catered. You lookin for catered/self?

Just got a UCAS letter today - course starts on the 24th Sept - I'm counting the days :wink:

Is that Medicine yeahhh?! haha. Ayee congratulations on that man! I hear Leicester Medical School is tough to get into! & Same haha. JoFo self catered ensuite ftw! We can be roomies bro :laugh:
LmaoI feel you. Oct 1st can't come quick enough. 2 weeks of freshers will be madddd
Original post by Wreemo
I know what you mean buddy. Teachers need to put in the effort just as much as students do. Their not taking the exam but we rely on them a lot to achieve the best possible grade :/ It does prepare us for the independence that is expected of us so I guess that's a positive :colondollar:

I'm keeping positive at the moment on my grade situation. Need to work hard, been getting quite lazy since the Jan exams. Motivation would be niceee! She probably got in because it was only Psychology :colone:

JoFo is nice don't get me wrong but Beaumont is way more social from what my friends have said who are currently in Leicester. They say the layout of the rooms in JoFo aren't the best for sociality where as Beaumont is in like dorms which is good. I've spent a weekend at Beaumont with my friend and you can't escape from someone. Just constant chatting, it's really good! Hope this doesn't sway your choice but Beaumont is much better in my eyes apart from a few things such as the age compared to the moderness of JoFo :biggrin:

Definitely man. My ICT teacher is so crap its a joke. & it sets me and my class back because we're not motivated as much as we should be and we're never prepared for assessments. But yeah, I guess there are 'some' positives out of it :wink:.
After Jan I've pretty much been the same. Done the bare minimum. But from monday I'm gonna start preparing for summer proper. To mess up now would be so unfortunate. 1 last hurdle man! We can do this bro (y)
& Ahh man, I've heard all this ish about how JoFo is not as sociable as other accom. I don't see how since its in the student village! Fair enough, you've got exp of Beaumont. Wasn't initially going to apply there but might have it as a back up choice now. Its quite a green area isn't it?
Reply 85
Hi,

I'm a current third year lawyer at Leicester so any law students feel free to PM me questions.

I lived in Beaumont but work as an ambassador so have seen the lot accommodation wise (but I am biased to Beaumont :tongue:), so can probably answer most accommodation stuff too. Gutted to hear the Beaumont food is now in small quantities TheBlackMonster, it was never great but at least you used to get mountains of it and unlimited seconds!

Also if you feel like asking questions of people who do your course and are paid to answer it this should be useful: http://studentblogs.le.ac.uk/

Good luck with your A levels, it'll be Freshers' 2012 before you know it!
Original post by roh

I lived in Beaumont but work as an ambassador so have seen the lot accommodation wise

Hi. I don't want to go to JF as it its a bit out of my price bracket. I do want to stay in oadby though. What do you think is the best catered accomodation other than JF?
Reply 87
Original post by Captain Hindsight
Hi. I don't want to go to JF as it its a bit out of my price bracket. I do want to stay in oadby though. What do you think is the best catered accomodation other than JF?

Depends if you wanted JoFo 'cause it's, generally and very much relatively, quieter or because of the facilities.

If you want ensuite I'd say Beaumont's is really good, rooms are big and it's cheaper than GMS' Stamford Houses, though I've only ever seen in one of them briefly. Both of these are very sociable, though I think people up at Stamford may go out slightly more there's very little in it. I'm afraid I can't remember if GMS have got a separate room or a pod, though personally I don't see there being a massive advantage to having a full room.

If you're fussed about aesthetics then Beaumont's undoubtedly prettier but both are in quite nice settings.

If you want quieter I'm not sure there is anywhere I'm afraid.

I'd say probably Beaumont if there's a still a price difference between it and GMS (standard vs premium), if not either.
Original post by GeeGaryJunior
Is that Medicine yeahhh?! haha. Ayee congratulations on that man! I hear Leicester Medical School is tough to get into! & Same haha. JoFo self catered ensuite ftw! We can be roomies bro :laugh:
LmaoI feel you. Oct 1st can't come quick enough. 2 weeks of freshers will be madddd

Haha appreciate it :wink: ah bro - it was the biggest head **** tryna get in, so relieved it's all over. Which course are you doing buddy?

For sure man! Let's pray we get JF self catered - hopefully the fact my offer is unconditional means I know earlier what accommodation I'll be staying in. Gives me enough time to fight my case haha.

Does that mean medics get 3 weeks?! Apparently we move in a week before everybody else for a 'medic fresher week' - this news just gets better and better haha.
Reply 89
Original post by whotosee
:biggrin:

I'll be studying Medical Biochemistry. Had a quick look through your old posts to see what you applied for... don't think our course choice can be more different :tongue:

haha no opposite ends of the spectrum ! :P
Haha appreciate it :wink: ah bro - it was the biggest head **** tryna get in, so relieved it's all over. Which course are you doing buddy?

For sure man! Let's pray we get JF self catered - hopefully the fact my offer is unconditional means I know earlier what accommodation I'll be staying in. Gives me enough time to fight my case haha.

Does that mean medics get 3 weeks?! Apparently we move in a week before everybody else for a 'medic fresher week' - this news just gets better and better haha.

Real achievement bro! You know you done a couple of backflips when you got that offer? :wink: haha. & Management Studies with Politics. I don't think there could have been a better course for me lol.
If it does then I think we should stop talking for a bit bro haha. I'd be mad jel! I've always wanted JF, looks so prestige :laugh:
LOLL no don't lie. I always thought medics started freshers before us but started lectures a week before the rest us? 3 weeks of freshers is unreaaaaaal!
Reply 91

You do get a week before us, usually staying in Beaumont, Intro Week including the PJ bar crawl, but I'm afraid you have lectures throughout Freshers (as do other subjects, law start the Weds of Freshers). Obviously you can/will just go to the lectures hungover, but you don't get the luxury of sleeping it off.

Check with a current medic but I think that's how it works.
Original post by whotosee
Me!! I firmed Leicester for Medical Biochemistry. We might have some lectures together next year :biggrin::biggrin:

woo hopefully! :-)
Reply 93
Just firmed Leicester for Law :smile: Does anyone know if the accomdation applications have opened yet or?
Reply 94
Definitely man. My ICT teacher is so crap its a joke. & it sets me and my class back because we're not motivated as much as we should be and we're never prepared for assessments. But yeah, I guess there are 'some' positives out of it :wink:.
After Jan I've pretty much been the same. Done the bare minimum. But from monday I'm gonna start preparing for summer proper. To mess up now would be so unfortunate. 1 last hurdle man! We can do this bro (y)
& Ahh man, I've heard all this ish about how JoFo is not as sociable as other accom. I don't see how since its in the student village! Fair enough, you've got exp of Beaumont. Wasn't initially going to apply there but might have it as a back up choice now. Its quite a green area isn't it?

ICT is a bastard in A level, friend of mine worked his head off but was all worth it for him in the end. Keep working hard and don't let the fact of a rubbish teacher distract you. Just get on with the work and you'll do fine :smile:

I'm not even sure myself on this layout of JoFo being bad for sociality but i'm just taking everyones word for it as everyone says the same thing that it's not the best layout :P Yes Beaumont is the area which is very green. Perfect for the summer!

Original post by Manisha93
Just firmed Leicester for Law :smile: Does anyone know if the accomdation applications have opened yet or?

I've been checking the website everyday for the past and no news yet. I imagine they will email us all when it is open (I hope) :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by Wreemo
ICT is a bastard in A level, friend of mine worked his head off but was all worth it for him in the end. Keep working hard and don't let the fact of a rubbish teacher distract you. Just get on with the work and you'll do fine :smile:

I'm not even sure myself on this layout of JoFo being bad for sociality but i'm just taking everyones word for it as everyone says the same thing that it's not the best layout :P Yes Beaumont is the area which is very green. Perfect for the summer!

I've been checking the website everyday for the past and no news yet. I imagine they will email us all when it is open (I hope) :smile:

Aww I hope so aha :') where you hoping to apply for?
has anyone received an acknowledgement from leicester since firming them?
Original post by roh
You do get a week before us, usually staying in Beaumont, Intro Week including the PJ bar crawl, but I'm afraid you have lectures throughout Freshers (as do other subjects, law start the Weds of Freshers). Obviously you can/will just go to the lectures hungover, but you don't get the luxury of sleeping it off.

Check with a current medic but I think that's how it works.

Thanks for that man - you're arguably the most helpful guy on here, you answered all my questions on the Leicester Accommodation thread.

Despite not drinking, I do intend to make the most of freshers. Will you be at the uni when we start or are you finishing this year?

Real achievement bro! You know you done a couple of backflips when you got that offer? :wink: haha. & Management Studies with Politics. I don't think there could have been a better course for me lol.
If it does then I think we should stop talking for a bit bro haha. I'd be mad jel! I've always wanted JF, looks so prestige :laugh:
LOLL no don't lie. I always thought medics started freshers before us but started lectures a week before the rest us? 3 weeks of freshers is unreaaaaaal!

More than a couple back flips. I did that "OMG WTF?!?!?!?!?! I'm freaking dying and thank god no-one can see how embarrassing is" dance haha. That course sounds really interesting and the fact it's like two subjects combined makes it even better. Congratulations on that one :wink: what's the entry req's?

I've sent you a pm bro :cool:
More than a couple back flips. I did that "OMG WTF?!?!?!?!?! I'm freaking dying and thank god no-one can see how embarrassing is" dance haha. That course sounds really interesting and the fact it's like two subjects combined makes it even better. Congratulations on that one :wink: what's the entry req's?

I've sent you a pm bro :cool:

LOL you're jokes!!! Completely understandable man. Such a big offer! & Yeah man can't wait to study it. Politics is BOSS! :wink: & AAB :/ just means I've got something to work towards. & bro!!! I'm PM'ing you back now!!
Reply 99
Thanks for that man - you're arguably the most helpful guy on here, you answered all my questions on the Leicester Accommodation thread.

Despite not drinking, I do intend to make the most of freshers. Will you be at the uni when we start or are you finishing this year?

Thanks.

I will be there yeah, starting my 4th year, it'll be my final freshers so I intend to make the most of it! If you don't drink you'll have a great time laughing at your coursemates as they suffer the morning after, as well as the night before!

Quote fail :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending