3 month old white baby ‘racist’ Watch

Poll: Should the baby be punished for racism?
Yes (10)
31.25%
No (22)
68.75%
dave777
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I dread to think what "This discovery may help guide future research on how to counter racism, they suggested" is going to materialise into :eek:

Could we see white babies being forced to look at black and brown people for the first 5 years of their life? This could become a reality in 20 years or so. ^o)

You should judge someone not by the color of his skin, civil-rights leader Martin Luther King declared 43 years ago, but by the content of his character.

Yet new research suggests that to achieve this ideal, you may have unlearn years’ worth of mental habits—a daunting number of years. Such as your current age, minus three months.

But don’t start fretting about racist babies yet. On the bright side, researchers also found that babies raised with frequent exposure to people of other races don’t develop this early bias. This discovery may help guide future research on how to counter racism, they suggested.

White babies raised in white environments spent an average of 63 percent more time looking at white faces, the study found.
http://www.world-science.net/exclusi...2_racefrm2.htm
Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It would be hard to find proof that a baby is rascist..
Hanzing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Surely, It could be the simple case that babies may spend longer on white faces for example if brought up in white enviroments because of an association of that to the face of their mother/father with whom at the developing age of 3 month would be a very important figure to them.
JonD
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Didn't Apartheid-era white South Africans rely on black house servants a lot?
Esquire
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yay! More racist babies, that's what this country needs !
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dave777)
I dread to think what "This discovery may help guide future research on how to counter racism, they suggested" is going to materialise into :eek:

Could we see white babies being forced to look at black and brown people for the first 5 years of their life? This could become a reality in 20 years or so. ^o)

http://www.world-science.net/exclusi...2_racefrm2.htm
This is where "science" really lets itself down.
ArthurOliver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
John Ray , retired professor of psychology posted about this at MajorityRights.com, he said:
What it shows is that babies are “racist” from 3 months old. White babies prefer white faces and black babies prefer black faces. But it all depends on exposure. White babies exposed to an equal mix of black and white faces in their early weeks show no preference.

That finding was actually highly predictable from what we already knew about developmental psychology. It is a safety mechanism for babies to know when they are in the “wrong” hands and they turn on their alarm (cry) when they detect it. Any mother who has given her babe to a stranger to hold will have experienced that. So babies learn rapidly what is normal to them and prefer that. And, like all human beings, babies are quick to generalize (Read, 1983; Hamill, Wilson & Nisbett, 1980) in search of safety. The one thing they know much about is faces and they usually know more than one safe face so it helps to find what is general to the “safe” faces. And if there is a prominent feature (such as colour) that is NOT general, they react accordingly.

The reason why I am making this comment, however, is the wrongheaded response that could arise from the findings. It could be argued that the findings present a perfect case for “diversity”. Perhaps all white babies need to be given extensive exposure to blacks from early on. That would of course be a fairly Orwellian proposal but, surprisingly enough, it has been tried. White babies in South Africa are normally cared for most of the time by black nannies and maids. And yet white South Africa produced what is arguably the second most racist (apartheid) government of the 20th century! As any conservative will tell you, nothing about human society is simple. And it is certainly hard to predict.
edit: and he offered links to two of his own articles on the subject:
http://jonjayray.netfirms.com/stereo.html
http://jonjayray.netfirms.com/cclash.html
Zakaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"White babies raised in white environments spent an average of 63 percent more time looking at white faces, the study found."

yes....but the country the study was done is is almost certainly a majority white country, so that's to be expected. What are they going to do about it? Start hiring blacks to form some kind of 'anti-racist-baby group' to go round to white houses and subject the baby to 20 minutes of black per day?

people sure are stupid...
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 12 years ago
Good job my butler is black.

[someone had to make the joke]
Dhesi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A baby's mind is not developed enough to be racist intentionally.
dave777
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Dhesi)
A baby's mind is not developed enough to be racist intentionally.
Yes that 3 month old was evil and should be jailed
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry if I'm being dumb, but what the **** is this thread on about?

It may be the drink, hut I can;t seem to work it out...it seems like a load of nonsense to me....
Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think scientists have discovered after 3 months a baby can develop preference to a particular skin colour.

Not as the title+poll suggests, an individual 3 month old actually making rascist marks.
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If race doesn't matter, then why change who the babies see? Surely that insinuates that race DOES matter?
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
As an aside - did you know that scientific tests prove that a new born babe whose vision is stimulated by pictures on crib/pram sides that have black/white sharply contrasted shapes develops a much higher IQ than another whose brain is not stimulated in the same way?
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
And so, racism is a natural instinct? But then, so is rape, and so is violence.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
And so, racism is a natural instinct? But then, so is rape, and so it violence.
:rolleyes: < You did just overlook including this emocion on your post, didn't you?
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
:rolleyes: < You did just overlook including this emocion on your post, didn't you?
I'm just glad those scumbag babies are kept where they belong. Behind bars!

(of cribs. Obviously.)
Greyhound02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Surely the fact that white babies look longer at white faces is because they're more used to white facies! This really isn't science at all.
Evil-Tuna
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We could solve 2 problms at the same time, racist babies and the fuel shortage, make all babies take a test and if they fail and are shown to be racist, burn them. For fuel mind you we dont want to be wasting those babies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads