Rooftopcowboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ryan)
Because it's illegal maybe?^o)
how is it illegal...

im legally insured on my car, but so is my dad....

it just happens that he never drives the car...

its no different from it being his car, and me driving it everynow and again.

so no its not illegal, get your facts straight.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Explain the situation a little more?

If your dad is insured as the policy holder and main driver and infact you are the main driver and your dad barely ever drive it (e.g. you commute to sixth form and use it for social reasons but your dad only drives it once a month when he has no fuel) then it is insurance fraud and 'you' wouldn't be insured.

If your dad is a named driver and you are the main driver and he only rarely drives it and you drive it all the time, that's completely fine.
Rooftopcowboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pghstochaj)
Explain the situation a little more?

If your dad is insured as the policy holder and main driver and infact you are the main driver and your dad barely ever drive it (e.g. you commute to sixth form and use it for social reasons but your dad only drives it once a month when he has no fuel) then it is insurance fraud and 'you' wouldn't be insured.

If your dad is a named driver and you are the main driver and he only rarely drives it and you drive it all the time, that's completely fine.
he rarely drives it, im the main driver, but am a named driver...

didnt realise there was anything wrong with that (bit worried now)

how can they actually prove whos the main driver though, apart from sitting at the bottom of our drive and keeping a tally of whos driving the car...I dont see how they can differentiate between whos using it a lot and whos doesnt?

also our insurance guy (who comes round to deal with my families business insurance, house insurance etc..) didnt have a problem when selling the insurance to us, surely he would have pointed out the fact your making.

I just dont get a) how it makes a difference, so long as your paying for insurance and b) how they can tell, without spying on you.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The following link explains everything very well, much better than I can, from Max Power of all places...!

http://www.maxpower.co.uk/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=62142

You may also take his word for it given his credentials

It's not only about what they can or can not prove remember, it's about being legal. On the issue of your broker, he is just a reseller, he doesn't care about claims etc. the underwriter would be the people refusing to pay out etc. etc.
Rooftopcowboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thanks for the link (you can have some rep ) I cant beleive something that intellectual is on the Max Power Website either...

I think we would be ok though, as reading the "how they rumble you" bit...

my dads main car is a company car (a company which he owns) so he would be able to say that, that car is only used for work purposes and the other car (ie mine) he uses for social purposes. So him driving 2 cars wouldent be a daft situation...also my car isnt a chav one, it wouldent be obvious its just my car.

so whilst im not condoning what where doing (though I or my parents had no idea it was illegal) I doubt that we would be caught out.

Also on a personal level, I think its daylight robbery that the insurance company would make me pay £2k a year insurance on a Punto which has a tiny engine anyway...ive passed my test, paid hundreds of pounds in lessons and am fit to drive IMO...I think this culture of "charge them loads till there 21 or 25" is a discrace to be honest.
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can you hear that? That sound what is it? Like a kind of flogging noise? Constantly thump thump thump.....

ITS THE SOUND OF A DEAD HORSE BEING BEATEN ONCE AGAIN! Will motoring please get an insurance sticky, just a link to confused and the words INSURANCE IS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AFFORD BUT EXPECT TO PAY 1500 to 2500 NOW GO AWAY on it. k thx bibi.
myselfsd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
LOL at the ppl worried about being named driver! man up, its hardly a risk...since being a named driver means you ARE insured...With your parents NCB your gonna be saving 65% or so (CIS) meaning you can actually afford to drive a decent car. By the way, alot of insurance companies knew that I would be the main driver though I would be actually only named driver on the policy...As long as you don't lie theres no reason why you shouldn't do it.

A sporty looking car for under a grand..and insurable under 21?

how about this?

mazda 323, you can get a 1.3 decent nick, reasonable mileage for less than £1k and its not a young drivers typical car so not too many have it either..unlike a punto/ka/corsa etc.
myselfsd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
woah sorry about the big-ness of the pic
Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That Mazda looks like a 4x4, needs lowering big time.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by myselfsd)
LOL at the ppl worried about being named driver! man up, its hardly a risk...since being a named driver means you ARE insured...With your parents NCB your gonna be saving 65% or so (CIS) meaning you can actually afford to drive a decent car. By the way, alot of insurance companies knew that I would be the main driver though I would be actually only named driver on the policy...As long as you don't lie theres no reason why you shouldn't do it.

Firstly, how would you get your parent's NCB unless they have stopped driving?

Secondly, you're not insured if you lie about your insurance, putting yourself as a named driver when you're a main driver is insurance fraud...

How many times, the concept really is not that difficult.
myselfsd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1.Im paying for the policy...which is in my dads name hence the saving is mine in reallity.

2.We told my insurers who would be driving the car mostly i.e. me, no lies involved, and they said that's fine..so what's your problem?
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If the insurer is fully aware of the named driver being the main driver then there is no problem.

I seem to have posted a link today that everybody about to insure themselves should read about 3 times, anyway, here it is again:

http://www.maxpower.co.uk/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=62142

It is an excellent post in black and white from a reputable person who knows his stuff. I am sorry if people don't like what it says but that doesn't change the facts behind it.
myselfsd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What is your insistence with using this article, are you a police officer?
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, I am a driver and have a massive dislike; uninsured drivers.
danb
Report 12 years ago
As long as the named driver is insured as the main driver (presuming they are), there is no problem at all - they don't have to be the policy holder.

As for cheap insurance, Admiral now offer a MultiCar policy that can save you a fair bit of money if you ARE an infrequent driver, while still building up your NCB.

See here
danxxx
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Red Dragon)
If you want something with a bit of poke avoid Ka's; all Ka's 96-02 used a 30 year old push-rod engine with about 50bhp that is gutless.
I totally disagree with that. I drive a year 2000 W-reg Ka and it's really very nippy. In terms of weight, it's a light car and goes really well. My friend has a 2002 1.2 Polo and that's much slower than the Ka.

(Having said that, still prefer the Polo though!
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by danxxx)
I totally disagree with that. I drive a year 2000 W-reg Ka and it's really very nippy. In terms of weight, it's a light car and goes really well. My friend has a 2002 1.2 Polo and that's much slower than the Ka.

(Having said that, still prefer the Polo though!
No, really, avoid the 1.3 Kas, it may well be an old engine but it's definitely not improved with age!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The 1.3 Pushrod unit may be old, but they are extremely reliable, the only real problem with them is the tappets get noisy with age. Also this is the Valancia unit, it may well be the based on the 1.3 Kent but it has all the modern stuff like fuel injection bolted on to it. The Valancia units produce a healthy 60bhp which is fine on a small car. The Kent unit was 54bhp and was slow in the MK3 Fiestas. What really made these engines suffer was all the cat convertor stuff.

Personaly I think KA's are over priced though. A 1.25 Zetec MK4 (95-2001) Fiesta would be a much better car. The KA is basicaly an 89 Fiesta MK3.
*Kates*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by digitalparadox)
If you count the Ford Ka as a decent car, then that.
They are the best.. i've got a black ka luxury 1.3i and it is the best car i have ever had! People underestimate KA's, they are so nippy, fun to drive and very comfy. Don't get a corsa, if you do, get higher than a 1.2, they are the most boring cars to drive and i would never have one again, not even a new one. Micra's are ok too lol, i loved my micra, but bit grannyish. KA's are the best IMO
*Kates*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pghstochaj)
No, really, avoid the 1.3 Kas, it may well be an old engine but it's definitely not improved with age!
Rubbish! I have a 1.3i KA and it is very very nippy, can easily do 100. I love it, they are light cars, very good on handeling the road and very nippy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed