Coming out Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I kinda got drunk tonight and told everybody that I was gay! Doh!

Is this wrong to do it when I'm drunk? Or should I have waited for a better moment to tell everyone?
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wait and see...if its what it took for you to tell people then it will obviously be a productive step, but if it turns out your friends are bigoted homophobes, then it is probably not a smart move. Being realistic, being "out" is a great weight off the mind, so will help you feel happy, and ultimately that is what matters most.q
Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Perhaps not right time, but there never is.

Perhaps it was for the best (If you are actually gay) to come out when you dont feel any pressure, its all out now and you can be relaxed, the balls in their court. If their old enough to go out and drink, they're probably mature enough to accept a friend who is gay.
Flukey
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I kinda got drunk tonight and told everybody that I was gay! Doh!

Is this wrong to do it when I'm drunk? Or should I have waited for a better moment to tell everyone?
Hey,

I came out a few months ago(couple of months after my 17th). I told a mate when i was sober then i made the silly mistake of telling a few mates when drunk. However, if you don't wish for your friends to know about you being gay because you're not fully comfortable with your sexuality or don't want anybody to know then you could quite simply blame it on the drink.

On the other hand, telling your mates is a good idea. If they aren't homophobes then you will get fantastic moral support. I don't regret telling my mates even when i told some of them when i was i was! My parents know now and i'm very happy they do. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do. At the end of the day you need to make sure you're happy and that is your main priority. If your friends are mature enough to go out drinking then i'm sure they are mature enough to accept you're gay and to move on from that "difference" and respect you for coming out.
rosetinted
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OP: What is a preferable 'moment'? After all you aren't proposing to them so does it matter how you told them?! If you're comfortable with your sexuality then it is a positive thing that you've been able to tell people about it. I came out as bisexual (yes that lame 'new' sexuality which is 'just a phase') and felt better for having told people about something which is an integral part of who I am.
Anonymous #1
You're right, it is a great weight off my mind. My friends, especially famale ones, were incredibly supportive and I'm appreciative of it all. I've had a good night after telling people. There were few problems, the old male friend, laughing about it, but above all, my friends were very acceptive. I just don't know whether or not I should have told them when I was very drunk!
rosetinted
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well congrats it sounds like things turned out great with nearly all your friends. I wouldn't worry over how you told them, the result is far more important. After all..telling them takes a minute or two but the results of telling them are far longer lasting.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well - you had to tell them eventually, and since i'm sure they realised its not how you envisaged revealing the fact to them they will not hold this fact against you. Considering the gravity of the information you intended to bestow upon them, I would have to get pissed too.

Glad to hear its taken the emotional weight off you
Anonymous #1
I have to say, I appreciate the support that TSR gives me. Thankyou very much for these supportive responses .
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
pfft...Its not like there is no beneficial side for us - because we're assisted you now I dont have to be nice to another person all day, and that saves me a lot of time
Anonymous #1
Btw as you can probably tell, I'm still very drunk, so I'll assess the situation tomorrow morning...
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its ok - i'm completely hammered too enjoy!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads