Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth taking S2 for maths if I haven't really enjoyed S1 maths?

I'm doing maths and futher, and I'm choosing my own units to do. I could either do a mix of stats and mechanics, or do all mechanics.

I am already doing both decision maths.

Which do people prefer?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I didn't like the statistics either. I dunno what exam board you're on, and mine, Edexcel, changed the year I finished mine so you won't be doing exactly the same modules as me.

But anyway, even though I disliked all the stats modules, S2 was just soooo easy in comparison with other modules, and a lot of it was only a small extension from S1. However, as with S1, they don't teach you what's behind the formulae, you're expected to just accept it, which is **** is my opinion. Even though this is easier, it does need quite a bit of equation and definition learning. I think stats gets better in S3 onwards.

Do you like mechanics? It was by far my favourite, but most people (including me) found it was harder than the other topics. However, the exams are very repetitive and if you practise enough questions you'll recognise many of them in the exam.

So I guess you need to decide - do you want the easiest or the most interesting? Do you only work well if you're interested in the subject? Will not fully understanding stats drive you crazy? Or do you just want a good grade? Also, what are you planning to do at uni, because you'll value any related knowledge you take with you.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I hated S1 but carried on and found S2 a breeze! Seriously S2 is easy compared to S1. Okay....hope this helped some what..........:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Shehna!

Whilst for S1 you have a load of quite complicated formulae to remember, with S2 it's about continuous rather than discrete stuff (generally). So rather than adding different values up and performing long, boring sums, it tends to be more elegant. For example there's a fair amount of intergration involved (though because it's S2, it can't go beyond C3ish intergration so it isn't too bad).
    Just my experience of it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_2K)
    Is it worth taking S2 for maths if I haven't really enjoyed S1 maths?

I'm doing maths and futher, and I'm choosing my own units to do. I could either do a mix of stats and mechanics, or do all mechanics.

I am already doing both decision maths.

Which do people prefer?

D1 AND D2, wise choice my friend, D2 is actually easier than D1, the concepts are more developed and harder, but the exam is less of a lottery than D1.
    Ive heard S2 is easier than S1, but thats probly only coz its more interesting, S1 is pretty boring/repetitive/barely above GCSE level

Aye, I agree that S2 is a very easy module. It's worth doing simply because they throw marks at you as long as you have your wits about you.

ReputationRep:
    I found S1 to be boring, but I really liked S2- its different from S1, no long, tedious calculations (unless they lob one in to see if you remember S1) and theres a little calculus too (C1, C2 stuff, pretty easy). Also, you only really need to remember the stuff about the Normal Distribution from S1- certainly not any of the probability stuff, or the regression/correlation stuff, which is what I found crap about S1- and maybe calculating mean and variance. There are a few definitions, and conditions you need to learn (eg. when you can approximate the binomial dist. with the Poisson), but they're very easy, so its free marks basically. In fact the whole thing is very easy, and much more interesting than S1.

PS Avoid mechanics- M1 is dull- worse than S1 I think.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh why is everyone finding S2 so easy....but i blame my teacher who is crap..bcoz we have nearly finished it alll..and i still dont know much...arghs!! my teacher sucks and cant teach..and now we got this crappy trainnee teacher too!! messing my maths A level about !!

do people tend to do better in S2 than S1?? i got 72 in S1...had to learn most of it on my own though. hmmmm

i hate stats now! lol
    x

ReputationRep:
    I self taught S1 and S2, thought they were both dull. If I were you I'd go for M1, M2, S1, D1 and D2 as your applied modules. I'm doing M1-4, S1-2 and D1 for mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_2K)
    Which do people prefer?
    For me, S2 was completely different and unrelated to S1 maths. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.