Blonde hightlights fading out too quickly Watch

Freckles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm naturally blonde, this medium stray blonde, I'd say. I've been getting blonde highlights done for about five years, and they do make it look quite nice and all, but what really annoys me is that they only look good for the first couple of days and then they sort of fade out after a couple of washes. But they're ... bleached, so they really shouldn't ?? I mean, you can still tell there are highlights, but it's just nowhere near as light as it is on the first 2 days. And it just annoys me so much. My hairdresser is lovely and she always gets what I want and does it perfectly, but the color never lasts !!!! And my hair isn't even that much darker naturally, so it shouldn't be difficult to bleach ??? I do have pretty thick and "good" hair, so maybe she just needs to leave it on longer when bleaching it? I mean, there are so many people who have really light blonde hair and it stays that way, how come it never works on me? I had it done two weeks ago, but I am so annoyed, I'm just gonna go in again as soon as I can get an appointment and it frustrates me cos it's not really a bargain
Elements
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, I thought that bleaching was supposed to last too, not that I've ever personally had any experience with bleach. It might just be the composition of your hair. Do make another appointment but show your hairdresser what has happened to the colour or tell her that, and maybe she'll be able to fix it by keeping the bleach on longer or using a new product or something. But you should definitely tell her and add that you are happy with it when she's done it just not after a few days, so she doesn't get offended, because you're not happy, it's your hair so it's always on your head wherever you go, and it's costing money.
Hope that helped.^o) Sorry I'm not an expert. Would like to hear how your hair goes though, Elements xXx
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do you mean actually fade colour wise or aren't as "bright" as they first were? The brightness of most colourant treatments fades within a couple of weeks, but if you mean your hair is actually darkening then that's a bit different.

Do you use a shampoo for highlighted hair, a blonde one with camomile in it maybe?
tbm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have my hair highlighted too (my hair is naturally dark blonde) and they last for ages- they hardly fade at all. I use a special shampoo for highlighted hair, I use VO5 Fade Defy(red bottle) and that seems to keep the highlights looking bright and fresh. Perhaps speak to your hairdresser next time you go and see what she says, if there is still no improvement then perhaps find someone else to do it for you and see how you get on.
Lettuce
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have highlights in my hair too. The highlights weren't as bright after a couple of weeks but they still look good and quite bright (not much differenc) even though they are starting to grow out. I just use shampoo for clour treated hair and then now and again I put my hair in some sort of mask/conditioning mask.
clueless101
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anne*UK*06)
I'm naturally blonde, this medium stray blonde, I'd say. I've been getting blonde highlights done for about five years, and they do make it look quite nice and all, but what really annoys me is that they only look good for the first couple of days and then they sort of fade out after a couple of washes. But they're ... bleached, so they really shouldn't ?? I mean, you can still tell there are highlights, but it's just nowhere near as light as it is on the first 2 days. And it just annoys me so much. My hairdresser is lovely and she always gets what I want and does it perfectly, but the color never lasts !!!! And my hair isn't even that much darker naturally, so it shouldn't be difficult to bleach ??? I do have pretty thick and "good" hair, so maybe she just needs to leave it on longer when bleaching it? I mean, there are so many people who have really light blonde hair and it stays that way, how come it never works on me? I had it done two weeks ago, but I am so annoyed, I'm just gonna go in again as soon as I can get an appointment and it frustrates me cos it's not really a bargain
OMG have the exact same problem! Highlighted hair 3 days ago, but since yesterday its really dull/faded. I use blonde hair products though. Tbh, my hairdresser said this would happen and there is no real way of getting around it. Maybe next time ask for a colour 2 shade lighter so that when it fades it still looks the colour you want?
lazydays
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know it's not my thing to say but do we really need two threads on the same subject? Please check next time bfore you post.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=191013
Freckles
Rep:
?
I use the John Frieda blonde series, but it doesn't do much for me What really annoys me is that it SHOULD last as bleaching isn't coloring. I mean, it bleaches your hair and basically takes all color from it, so it shouldn't fade. It's not like they're just not as bright, it feels as if the blonde was something applied on top of my hair and after two days it comes off or something. It totally doesn't feel like there's actually been done something to my hair. I'm making another appointment for as soon as I can get one and tell her about it. It really annoys me because I know enough people whose natural hair is lots darker and their bleaching works fine. I know it's sort of a silly thing to be upset about, but it's just really frustrating. I'll take a picture of someone elses hair next time I go and say I want it like that. Let's see if it works this time. And yeah, if it doesn't, I'll have to go somewhere else ... Man, it just really annoys me because I just paid for it 2 weeks ago and it didn't even last a week !!!
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I use Sunsilks for blonde hair shampoo and conditioner. It's for either natural or highlighted hair. It has chamomile in it, which is great for blonde hair. My hair colour is natural with no highlights etc but I really recommend it to you to try. My hair has been so much lighter; more like it is in the summer by using it. If you do try different hair products I would advise that you steer clear of Clairol's for blonde hair shampoos and conditioners because it burnt mine and my friend's scalps off- it was really painful so you definitely don't want to go there!
*soph*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wella does a purple shampoo that I got from my hairdresser and whatever the purple is in it cleanses the bleached bits and stops them from going dull, not sure if you can get it in Germany though.
Freckles
Rep:
?
Well, I won't be in Germany for too long anymore Thanks !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads