How do I go about finding private sector accomodation? Watch

Freckles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I am just about to accept my Nottingham offer, but what really worries me is how to find accomodation. I went to the open day on the 8th and I loved the uni and the city and just the general vibe I got so I know I want to go, however, as I've said before, I'm bringing my dog so I need off campus accomodation I have just about NO idea how to even look for a place !!! Don't you register with agencies or something? Bad thing is that I am not there at the moment, but I would obviously like to see the place first ... Any advice? How about living on your own? I mean, you usually share houses, right? It's just that I don't know anyone there yet and I am not sure how sociable I am with complete strangers and all ... Any advice will be appreciated! Do you reckon the uni accom office could help if I emailed them? Probably, eh? Oh, any ideas what costs to expect? Thank you !
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Try the accommodation office at uni, they usually have lists of private landlords etc as not everyone is your typical student that can go into halls (married students, those with kids etc.). Also try the local newspaper (might be available online?) as most have a rented property section. Once you're sure what area you want to live in you can register with some estate agents/agencies who do lettings. Try local shops etc round the uni area as many will have cards in the window with places to rent.

The best thing to do would be go back to Nottingham for a day or two before uni starts and schedule viewings of potential properties for those days. Agents are usually very understanding about that and I've looked at 10+ properties in a day before - being driven around by the agent in between!

Dependant on your budget you could get a studio/1 bed or you might find a flatshare in the paper etc. I don't know how much rents are in Nottingham (try www.rightmove.co.uk in the rentals bit to give you a rough idea) and if you were to flatshare the bills would usually be included. If you rent on your own then you'd have water, gas/electricity, phone if you want it which would be I guess another £50 a month on top of the rent.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It might be easier if you leave you dog behind for a bit, and then get her sent once you're sorted. You don't really want to be dragging a dog around everywhere looking for houses!

There are lots of websites if you google for them, but I don't know how good they'd be. This is Nottingham might be of some help.

Do contact the uni, as they'll have done this before!
*soph*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This isn't helping with your quest for accommodation, but I'll (hopefully) be at Nottingham in September too and I'll be missing my dog lots, so if you need a dog sitter/walker during term time, I'll help!
Freckles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Aww, thank you lol That's cool !! And in return, if you need help with German, I'll help

I think what I'll do is start looking now and try to schedule a couple of visits for some days in a couple of weeks. I'll go back to Nottingham for a few days in March or April and try to sort it then. My dog won't come till everything's sorted and I'll start uni in September Thanks for the links !! I'll email the accomodation office first ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads