The Student Room Group

How should I work out?

ok i'm 17 yrs old and i've never really hit the gym or anything. about 2 years back i played b-ball every day about 2 hrs a day and i swim every week about 2 hrs too, and this has been going since i was 10 or something. this caused me to be very fit and i have nice chest muscles and i also have (had) a nice 6 pack and girls think i have a hot body (they tell me). even some of my guy friends want to see it!?!. however, since then i've been very busy and there's no time at all and i notice i really am getting fatter and stuff and my face is getting more round (less visible jawline and cheekbone) and my chest muscles are less visible and my 6 pack is not visible unless i flex it, and even then you could only see the top 4. on top of that i feel less fit and i get tired easier. about 6 months ago when i swam for about 1 hr i was really dead. i know it sounds gay but i'm not and i want a nice body to attract girls and i also want to be physically fit. i want to work out in college (because facility will be more accessible and i feel i'll have time for it and i feel it's also a good time), mainly to build back those muscles and biceps, triceps as well.

what do you think i should do, given the fact i've never done any real workout before. what moves to do (situp, pushup etc.), how many times, how much weight, how long, how frequent etc. thanks a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
star jumps
once a year
twice on leap years
Reply 2
i don't think that will work...
Reply 3
Well if you know what will and won't work, why are you asking questions?
Reply 4
its all santa does
and he's slim as a green bean
Reply 5
If you can't give useful advice you may as well shut up, "Myself." .

I think the routine you had before hand, specifically the swimming as you can do it and because its a great all-body exercise, would be ideal. Basketball, or for that matter any sport that concentrates some effort on the upper body, would be a good "supplement" to throw in to keep your upper body in shape.
Reply 6
Yes, because basketball and swimming build up mega muscles in teh upper body!
Reply 7
imasillynarb
Yes, because basketball and swimming build up mega muscles in teh upper body!

Well, it worked for him before :wink: . And if he will actually do those two and enjoy them, then whats the problem?
Reply 8
Thanks Casey. it's interesting i actually didn't think about those 2 before. i just thought about weight lifting and sit up/ push up at first. basketball i don't think i can do it everyday like i used to, but swimming once per week looks possible. How about push ups/sit ups/ weights (anyone)? i used to be able to do some 25 push ups each time, now last time i tried it altho i didn't try my best, i got about 10 -_-" so i don't know if i should stick to that and maybe increase a bit or i should do more etc. etc.

to 'imasillynarb', lets say u ask someone how to write your PS for college apps and then they say 'just say if they take u u'll give them lots of money' you would know it wouldn't work, but you still asked the question anyways. if ur not gonna help then it's better to just stay quiet.
OP, you could join your local gym for a while...you can usually join on a trial period for 2 weeks or something similar. When you first go you will speak to a fitness instructor who will discuss a plan you want to stick to...this could involve machines at the gym or they could tell you suitable exrercises to do at home. It works around you, so if you're not happy with one exercise or don't think it's working they can suggest something else. Plus, you usually get a sheet to fill in and complete as you go round, noting down the speed, strength etc of the machines and also your HR so it's good for noticing results. Having someone to guide you helps a lot, as they can devise the best plan to suit you personally. If you don't like it, you've only joined for 2 weeks so it won't break the bank!!!

As for the weights, there are lots of machines in the gym that target particular areas of the body so you know that you will get the best results!
Reply 10
Anonymous
Thanks Casey. it's interesting i actually didn't think about those 2 before. i just thought about weight lifting and sit up/ push up at first. basketball i don't think i can do it everyday like i used to, but swimming once per week looks possible. How about push ups/sit ups/ weights (anyone)? i used to be able to do some 25 push ups each time, now last time i tried it altho i didn't try my best, i got about 10 -_-" so i don't know if i should stick to that and maybe increase a bit or i should do more etc. etc.

to 'imasillynarb', lets say u ask someone how to write your PS for college apps and then they say 'just say if they take u u'll give them lots of money' you would know it wouldn't work, but you still asked the question anyways. if ur not gonna help then it's better to just stay quiet.

What the hell are you talkin about?
Reply 11
u said i already know what will and won't work and why am i asking question. so i'm just giving you an example.
Reply 12
Yo...chill mon. I used to swim once a week and play ball everyday too. Swimming is great and it doesn't cause injury that basketball may to your knees. Turst me, I sometimes have pain in my knees now and I'm only 20. Start wearing protective gear like knee guards early on.

It would be great if you could work out to complement your game; it really helps to be powerful and fast during both defence and offense. Hmmm...swimming is a great way to build endurance, but I'll talk on the workouts.

Squats would be your super lower body workout. It builds up the strongest muscles in your body; the quads as well as works on your abs a little. If you're starting out, I recommend this routine - 3 sets of squats. First set, do 30 reps without weights. Second rep, do 20 reps with a medium weight and last rep do 15/10 with heavy weights.

At this point, remember to do quarter squats and not full squats - squat until your knee is bent 90 degrees only to prevent injury. As for weights....for best effects, try using the ones you carry upon your shoulder and not dumb bells. It will be much heavier; the weight you chose according to your ability. Reason for this is that your quads are almost 4 times stronger than your biceps and you wanna build them up by breaking the muscles down as much as possible without injury. You might need a gym partner to help you lift the weights onto your shoulders. Have a 1 min or so rest between sets but not more than 2.

As for biceps and triceps, you'll have to use weights. Urm...I'm not sure of all the names but I usually do 2 excersices for each muscle group, consecutively to save time. Meaning, first I work on my biceps with a 15,12,10 set with increasing weights and then I do the same with my triceps. I may next do some concentration curls for the biceps with the same routine before moving on to the next tricep excercise. DO NOT rest between muscle groups for efficiency.

Pushups are great for stamina and you can do them anywhere. However, you don't use weights during pushups so you have to improvise. Using suitable sets and reps, try angling your legs upon a higher position so more weight is distributed on your palms/hands. Note that you can choose to work on the chest or the triceps (main muscle groups) by changing the position of your arms - palms about chest length or a bit further works the chest whereas palms close together in the middle of your chest works the triceps. If you wish to work the chest using weights, bench presses do it great.

If you play competitively, you'll need a stable trunk/abdomen and this means sit ups. I use the bench that angles downwards for convenience of using weights. Some beginners usually make the mistake of having their legs out straight when doing sit ups but this may be ineffective as I believe you actually use the muscle group near the quads instead of concentrating on your abdomen. So, tuck your legs in. Also, when lifting up, DO NOT lift up head first - you may injure yourself and it is not effective at working the trunk. Try to sit up chest first, then only head. Later on, you might want to place those large round wide weights on top of your chest and do the sit ups.

Phew...those are a few stuff that I do. If you want proper gains in mass and size, you may want to eat sports food. Those weight gain stuff. They may be pricey....but you might want to ask a professional so as to get the best out of your cash. I use Horleys sometimes; an Australian brand. It doesn't have too many fillers and I'm not looking for those super-buff musclemen outlooks.

Lol....I guess that's about it. I can tell you more if you are serious, but I don't really know what you want to achieve. Go pump some iron dude!
Reply 13
hey man. i also get knee pains sometimes from too much basketball. even sometimes i'm just sitting in normal position and my knees just feel loose n start aching.

Hmmm lots of stuff to do there, i'll be doing some of that for sure (sit ups/ push ups/ weights/ squats). i am serious about this, although i'm just starting out now. as to what i want to achieve... do you mean what i wanna look like? well i don't want all muscle like 50 cent but some like... i can't think of at the moment but my build is like the average tall person. how about lets say if you were to put eminem in muscles the size that fit his body (6 pack n all). that's what i want i guess (and i had a bit of that but not much anymore). i know i listen to too much rap.
anyways, sounds like good advice. thx a lot. btw how long have u been doing this, and what do u want to achieve?
Reply 14
yichung
Squats would be your super lower body workout. It builds up the strongest muscles in your body; the quads as well as works on your abs a little. If you're starting out, I recommend this routine - 3 sets of squats. First set, do 30 reps without weights. Second rep, do 20 reps with a medium weight and last rep do 15/10 with heavy weights.

Surely that's a bit much? Sets of 8 at most.
Reply 15
http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/ is a good place to start. They have beginners guides and full instructions on how to do every exercise, and you can read the workout programmes of others who have been successful.
Reply 16
I agree with Yichung.......weights are the way!:smile:

Exercises as follows:

3/4 times a week only, this is sufficient, otherwise you'll overtrain the muscles, u need to rest ur muscles, after ur workout for at least 24 hours. Choose any 3 exercises per day on ur training days, I've provided you with the names of the basic exercises, u need to rest for only 1 min between exercises.

[U]Mondays - Chest and back (as heavy as you can)
Chest -
Bench press - ie.1 set of 8 at 2.5kg, 1 set of 8 at 5kg, 1 x 8 at 5kg or 7.5kg
Peck deck - 1 x 10 at 5kg, 1 x 10 at 10kg, 1 x 10 at 5.7.5kg
Dumbell flyes - 1 x 8 at 4kg, 1 x 8 at 6kg, 1 x 8 at 8kg

Back -
Dumbell rows - 3 x 12 at progressive weights like above, ie 25lbs,30lbs and 35lbs
Cable rows - 3 x 12, progress
Pulldowns to chest - 3 x 12 progress

Tuesdays - Legs
Leg Press or Squats - 3 x 12 progress
Leg extensions - 3 x 12 progress
Leg curls - 3 x 12 progress
Calve raises - 3 x 12 progress

Wed - REST

Thursdays - Biceps and Triceps
Dumbell curls - 3 x 12 progress
Barbell curls - 3 x 12 progress
Pushdowns - 3 x 12 progress
Dips - 3 x 8 reps

Fridays - Chest and Back LIGHT(optional, but it makes you stronger for monday)

Same exercises as monday but rediculously light! Trust me, u will see the benefits.

Sat and Sun - RELAX

Now thats my basic wo, but i've lowered the weights for you! :biggrin: Try to go heavy but heavy enough for you to do it by urself without straining ur muscles and injuring urself. When you can go heavier, always make sure you have some1 spotting you. (In Body Building terms that means supporting and watching you).

Now DO NOT TRAIN FOR MORE THEN 45 MINS. U may think that doing 2 hours in the gym will help, but this will just tire u and ur muscles out, with no benefits wotsoever. 45 mins is more then enough 4 you 2 regain ur figure.

For any girls out there, who want to 'tone', then u can use the above training schedule. Go heavy girls...........the more muscle u have in ur body, the more fat u will burn! :biggrin: And no, you will NOT look like a man!! :mad: Women like that train for 10 years and more to get as musclely as a bloke!

MOST IMPORTANTLY: DIET

You will NOT have a gorgeous figure if you stuff ur face with fatty foods!! :frown: I wish!!!!! :rolleyes:

Eat healthily, opt for 'brown' instead of white, opt for veg over chips and opt for anything, baked, grilled or roasted. Meat and carb portion shouldnt be bigger then the size of ur palm, and veg size should be as big as ur whole hand.

Happy training!:biggrin: I'm here if u want any help with anything.:biggrin:
Reply 17
BBGirl
3/4 times a week only, this is sufficient, otherwise you'll overtrain the muscles, u need to rest ur muscles, after ur workout for at least 24 hours. Choose any 3 exercises per day on ur training days, I've provided you with the names of the basic exercises, u need to rest for only 1 min between exercises.

[U]Mondays - Chest and back (as heavy as you can)

Bench press - ie.1 set of 8 at 2.5kg, 1 set of 8 at 5kg, 1 x 8 at 5kg or 7.5kg

48 hours actually.

That Bench Press is nothing, how's he even going to do that considering the bar itself weighs 20kg?

I'm not even going to start with it, but those weights are very low for a lot of the stuff and the reps are way too high.
BBGirl
MOST IMPORTANTLY: DIET

You will NOT have a gorgeous figure if you stuff ur face with fatty foods!! :frown: I wish!!!!! :rolleyes:

Eat healthily, opt for 'brown' instead of white, opt for veg over chips and opt for anything, baked, grilled or roasted. Meat and carb portion shouldnt be bigger then the size of ur palm, and veg size should be as big as ur whole hand.

Telling people to diet is not a good idea! You don't have to go on a diet to lose weight!!! If you really are a nutrition analyst then surely you should know it is best to advise people what they could be eating, but not tell them they HAVE to go on a diet!?
BBGirl
Oh dear lord.................diet as in 'healthy eating'.....not 'going on the Atkins diet' diet!

Ok, just checking!