How should I work out? Watch

Mr @
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)

That Bench Press is nothing, how's he even going to do that considering the bar itself weighs 20kg?
20kg ??? i highly doubt that.
Teenie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if you want to do some work on your chest and abs squats are one of the best drills you can do because by lifting weights on your shoulders the muscles around your chest and stomach tighten up to protect your back and by doing this they get stronger. If you do squats you wont need to do sit-ups.

Thats what we do at training and i'll tell you, it works!
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tetatet)
20kg ??? i highly doubt that.
Why? Have you lifted one?

I had a look around but could only find this:

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/a...hp/t-6689.html

And another:

http://www.trinewbies.com/WeightTrai...benchpress.asp
yichung
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Hey guys, just chill out. We're all here to give and take advice...and some advice is bound to be better than others.

Still, I don't think its that nice to criticize others who are sincerely trying to help right?

Anyway...my previous post was just a summary of what I normally do. I've kinda stopped working out for awhile, which kinda sucks cos you start to get fat turned to muscle. Urm...the sets and reps depend on your weights. For power and speed, use heavy weights with low reps. For endurance, use light weights with many reps. It's really up to you. I take the 10-15 range for a slight compromise but towards strength. I guess this's where swimming comes in, lol.

Knee pains are an ass. They've really screwed up my hops. Just have to be careful and take care of them. Remember to not over-train!

As for your 'target', it's like do you want to achieve speed or endurance? Do you want to build your body and make it buffer, or keep it toned? As for me, I'm trying to keep up speed/power and put on some mass and muscle. (I'm 5'9" and about 70kg...wanna aim for around 80kg to put me in the 150-170 lb range). But it sure as hell takes commitment. A few hours a day at the gym and the court. (or the pool even)

Like BBGirl said...your diet is pretty important. Choose a reliable brand of sports food and do some research on what you need. I started out taking mass builders (light ones) which put on about 5 kg on me in 1/2 months which I could then build into muscle. Whey protein helps to regenerate broken-down muscle and build new ones. If you're a bit more serious, creatine monohydrate works pretty well too, although its pricey. Google it to find out more. There're a lot of different brands and ranges out there, but I recommend you ask a professional to get your money's worth.

Truth is, I'm quite an amateur myself, so my advice could be seen as 'crap' by some professionals out there. I may not be doing it the best way, but I know I have seen some results.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
yichun, i just wanna be a bit buffer, and after that just keep it tight i'm not looking for too much and maybe i'll concentrate more on cardiovascular fitness.

i'm aware that any advice is unprofessional, as is stated up there. nonetheless some people work out themselves and they are giving advice based on their own experience that has worked for them. bbgirl is also a professional i believe. i'm also taking in lots of info and forming my own idea of what i should do. i really appreciate people posting advice and links to sites and stuff and i believe i have enough info for now so thank u all very much who helped.

bis u say the advice is crap so do u have any good advice instead of the crap ones?
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Right I have some stuff to say.
The bars are 20kg, why highly doubt it?
What’s all that weight gainer crap that’s stupid, no one needs to eat that pure load of sugar. Might as well eat sugar. Eat proper food; eat oats, pasta, yam, milk, lean beef, chicken, pork, get your fats through nuts, olive oil, fish oil. You basically pay how much just to get a crap of sugar (30 quid?) how much quality food can you get from that. If you don’t eat big then you wont get big.
Don’t be afraid to eat a lot that you gain some fat; it’s very hard to gain muscle without fat. So eat big. Eat at least 6 meals per day, get your state in an anabolic mode.
If you are going to the gym I recommend yourself getting a multivitamin.
Bip but im sorry to say, you haven’t even said anything productive in this thread, you haven’t even given any opinion and say what was wrong and what was right.
When you do squats, they directly target your quads and your gluts and maybe alittle of your hamstrings. They don’t help your shoulders or chest or abs or back barely if you do your squats looking at the ceiling whislt doing it to keep your back straight. Do heavy compound exercises (boys : squats, benchpress, deadlifts). Try sticking to free weights, machines are not great at strengthening your core muscles, they are good at toning up or for safety when going really heavy). If you want to get big, lift in the range of 4-6 reps, but have a break it can burn you out and switch back to 8 reps for a time. Higher reps= greater tonne, 4-6 reps= bigger. Anything higher than 10 reps is not gonna do much.
BBGirl has said a lot of things right by the way. Just adjust the weights according to yourself.
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Shadower__)
Right I have some stuff to say.
The bars are 20kg, why highly doubt it?
What’s all that weight gainer crap that’s stupid, no one needs to eat that pure load of sugar. Might as well eat sugar. Eat proper food; eat oats, pasta, yam, milk, lean beef, chicken, pork, get your fats through nuts, olive oil, fish oil. You basically pay how much just to get a crap of sugar (30 quid?) how much quality food can you get from that. If you don’t eat big then you wont get big.
Don’t be afraid to eat a lot that you gain some fat; it’s very hard to gain muscle without fat. So eat big. Eat at least 6 meals per day, get your state in an anabolic mode.
If you are going to the gym I recommend yourself getting a multivitamin.
Bip but im sorry to say, you haven’t even said anything productive in this thread, you haven’t even given any opinion and say what was wrong and what was right.
When you do squats, they directly target your quads and your gluts and maybe alittle of your hamstrings. They don’t help your shoulders or chest or abs or back barely if you do your squats looking at the ceiling whislt doing it to keep your back straight. Do heavy compound exercises (boys : squats, benchpress, deadlifts). Try sticking to free weights, machines are not great at strengthening your core muscles, they are good at toning up or for safety when going really heavy). If you want to get big, lift in the range of 4-6 reps, but have a break it can burn you out and switch back to 8 reps for a time. Higher reps= greater tonne, 4-6 reps= bigger. Anything higher than 10 reps is not gonna do much.
BBGirl has said a lot of things right by the way. Just adjust the weights according to yourself.
1) my name is Bis, not 'bip'.

2) machines aren't good at toning, you have no idea what you are on about. toning doesn't even exist. they are no different to free weights in that sense. nor are they 'not good at strengthening core muscles'.

3) more reps doesn't equal more tone, in fact its the other way around.

4) that 'weight gainer crap' is not 'stupid' you moron. and it has hardly any sugar in, it mainly consists of protein.

5) eating 6 times a day doesn't get you in an 'anabolic state'.

6) pasta is crap.

7) you're an idiot.
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't give any advice concerning weights, etc, as I'm not llowed to use them, but a gym ball is a must! Over a period of time, it does help to tone certain areas of the body... (Don't do what I did though, I used it on the edge of my bed, and yup, I did injure myself slightly... lol)
Chi3f
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
first off, more reps does equal more tone, less reps = more bulk
then pasta isnt crap if you eat it before you work out as its carbs
and you eat 6 times a day so you dont starve your body of nutrients. Doesnt mean you eat loads each meal, less but more frequently
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chi3f)
first off, more reps does equal more tone, less reps = more bulk
then pasta isnt crap if you eat it before you work out as its carbs
and you eat 6 times a day so you dont starve your body of nutrients. Doesnt mean you eat loads each meal, less but more frequently
more reps doesn't equal more tone idiot, i can assure you.

pasta is crap.

i disagreed with it putting you in an 'anabolic state' on the eating 6 times a day bit.
Chi3f
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
more reps lighter weights does tone, fool
and pasta is immense, maybe you have bad taste
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it doesn't. i'd love to hear your explanation as to how it does so. please enlighten me.
jo_ukcrew03
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
1) my name is Bis, not 'bip'.

2) machines aren't good at toning, you have no idea what you are on about. toning doesn't even exist. they are no different to free weights in that sense. nor are they 'not good at strengthening core muscles'.

3) more reps doesn't equal more tone, in fact its the other way around.

4) that 'weight gainer crap' is not 'stupid' you moron. and it has hardly any sugar in, it mainly consists of protein.

5) eating 6 times a day doesn't get you in an 'anabolic state'.

6) pasta is crap.

7) you're an idiot.
This has to be the funniest post I have read today! I am sure no offence was caused.
jo_ukcrew03
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Increasing reps with usual weights (same weights that you have used for more than a while) can equal more tone however, if you do less reps using heavier than usual weights you can still get equal tone although the effect will depend on the proportion of changes.

I remember reading in lots of places that although carbohydrate is good which only gives you energy adds nothing to the tissue fibre and thus does not contribute to muscle toning! Only proteins as BIS suggested helps you tone your body by replacing the damaged cells (which happens every time you work out) and after couple of days of painful recovery (Dont even wanna think about it now) you should feel your muscles are better toned than before.

I am not sure shi3f where you got the pasta idea from which I think will be good before any aerobic sports requiring lots of energy but sadly will only add to fats in your body if not burnt up through aerobic sports as opposed to just working out which uses up less energy. Have lots of eggs, milk and chicken drumsticks as pro wrestlers do througout the whole day to increase the amount of proteins in your diet.
Chi3f
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i meant pasta in terms of aerobic exercise - carb loading or something like th at
and also have a painful recovery isnt good, might be a sign of overtraining
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chi3f)
i meant pasta in terms of aerobic exercise - carb loading or something like th at
and also have a painful recovery isnt good, might be a sign of overtraining
carb loading? what a load of ****.

i wonder why you haven't answered my question as to how exactly doing more reps 'tones'?
Scienceboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
more reps does not improve tone it improves muscle indurance, u can increase ur tone simply by losing weight, and if u increase muscle size at the same time, then even more rapid improvements in tone will be seen.
jo_ukcrew03
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with you completely Chi3f that painful recovery is a sign of overtraining but it's only when you push out the last few reps during work out that does more good than the ones before and thus contribute more to building solid muscles.

But, I am not saying that anyone should try and do this cause it may inflict serious injuries but only adviceable when you think you are confident with your programme and ability. I always try to remember: "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" as my master said!
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Scienceboi)
more reps does not improve tone it improves muscle indurance, u can increase ur tone simply by losing weight, and if u increase muscle size at the same time, then even more rapid improvements in tone will be seen.
good lord, somebody actually got it right! if it weren't for the masses of spelling mistakes and txt tlk i would of repped you. listen to this person people.
Chi3f
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
carb loading? what a load of ****.

i wonder why you haven't answered my question as to how exactly doing more reps 'tones'?
erm how is carb loading a load of ****? clearly you have no clue what your on about. How about googling a bit before you post some ****. infact let me help you out seeing it takes like <1 minute

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Inform...ness/carb1.htm
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/carbload.htm
http://whyfiles.org/204endurance_training/3.html

you cant argue that carb loading is **** when lance armstrong does it and it works
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.86%
No (582)
60.31%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.83%

Watched Threads