How should I work out? Watch

Scienceboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol its true, tone isn't anything tangible that can be created or lost. If a muscle is big, it is big....tone is simply the perception of someones body looking nice/impressive, ie a good balance between muscle size, shape, body fat etc
Bis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
someone who actually understands that, this is strange.
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chi3f)
erm how is carb loading a load of ****? clearly you have no clue what your on about. How about googling a bit before you post some ****. infact let me help you out seeing it takes like <1 minute

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Inform...ness/carb1.htm
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/carbload.htm
http://whyfiles.org/204endurance_training/3.html

you cant argue that carb loading is **** when lance armstrong does it and it works
i don't need to google crap and read ****** sites, i have a brain. wow, lance armstrong! :rolleyes:. i don't see how that supports your argument, carb loading is crap for weight training.
Chi3f
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i never said carb loading was for weight training you ****, i said its aerobic
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
precisely. its still crap and totally irrelevant to this topic.
SammyD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok, I think this thread is kinda missing the point. This guy wants to start out at the gym, not train for a contest. Just aim for a healthy balanced diet, which means getting all the food groups, not over eating but not going hungry, and allowing yourself the odd treat if you want it. Go to the gym 3 or 4 days a week, start out with some cardio for 20 - 30 minutes then move onto weights. Just do three sets of 8 to 12 reps, at a weight which isn't killing you but isn't too easy. I'd suggest finding one that leaves you a little uncomfortable after the first set and feeling the burn after the third.
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
1) my name is Bis, not 'bip'.

2) machines aren't good at toning, you have no idea what you are on about. toning doesn't even exist. they are no different to free weights in that sense. nor are they 'not good at strengthening core muscles'.

3) more reps doesn't equal more tone, in fact its the other way around.

4) that 'weight gainer crap' is not 'stupid' you moron. and it has hardly any sugar in, it mainly consists of protein.

5) eating 6 times a day doesn't get you in an 'anabolic state'.

6) pasta is crap.

7) you're an idiot.
right Bis, you have said the most stupidest stuff ever. and i will reply, just gathering my info
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
1) my name is Bis, not 'bip'.

2) machines aren't good at toning, you have no idea what you are on about. toning doesn't even exist. they are no different to free weights in that sense. nor are they 'not good at strengthening core muscles'.
1)firstly you name, bis bip same thing, do i care?

I have come on here to give advice and if someone gave me their side of their argument I will listen. Do you think there is any need for name calling? In fact you don't know jack about bodybuilding as from reading your comments.

2)Unlike exercise machines, they do not constrain users to specific, fixed movements, and therefore require more effort from the individual's stabilizer muscles

If you actually do weights yourself which I assume you don’t due to your lack of knowledge bis. Free weights are great because you're not only working in a single plane or angle, in addition to the stabilizing muscles. If you are doing a machine bench press (smith machine) and you bench 110kg for reps, and you try and do it on a free weight flat bench press I can guarantee you wont be able to do as much. So don’t chat crap about saying free weights wont do jack more than machines. Exercise machines can go some way toward preventing poor form.

Also if you do a freeweight barbell curl compared to the machine, man does that feel a lot better. You feel the burning sensation in your biceps more than the machine. The range of motion on the machine for bicep curls are totally different. The machine you can lift a lot more but is it doing you more good than the freeweight barbell…A BIG FAT NO.

btw when you actually said nor do they do no good in strengthening core muscles. Theres double negative in that sentence, which means they do right?
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)

4) that 'weight gainer crap' is not 'stupid' you moron. and it has hardly any sugar in, it mainly consists of protein.
Blah blah yada yada “ it consists mainly of protein”- Bis…yeh sure they do

http://bodybuilding.com/store/tl/super.html

Only 35g of sugar

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/4ever/iso.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cn/heavy.html

Wow 42g of sugar per serving, surely that isn’t healthy. Only 35g of protein? I pay so much and get that little pfffff, can by so much food with that money.

Wow the other carb is Maltodextrin. Very unhealthy to consume throughout the day, high GI and all that. Don’t want blood sugar levels to go too high do we? Also insulin levels will greatly rise, causing insulin resistance in long time. BAD malto BAD malto.

Why eat sugar? Make your own cheaper weight gainer. Eat dense calorific foods. Chuck in loads of pinhead oatmeal in your mouth and chase it down with milk. Sugar is not exactly health is it? Oatmeal has many benefits….lowering cholesterol, medium GI.
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)

5) eating 6 times a day doesn't get you in an 'anabolic state'.
Ok so you tell me then, try comparing yourself from eating 3 meals a day or 6 meals a day whilst hitting the gym, see how much more you will grow by eating 6 meals a day.

You do know that our bodies are always in a catabolic state. That means to grow and get bigger muscles you need to be in an anabolic state which is greater than the catabolic rate right? Oui, therefore you need to eat constantly supplying your body with constant levels of amino acids. The blood level of amino acids in your bloodstream drop quite low after 4 hours before the last time you ate protein. Therefore the rate of anabolism is going to decrease drastically, making catabolism greater than anabolism, do you get the idea?

Anabolism peaks after 2 hours you have eating. It’s important to keep feeding yourself constant amounts of nutrition. Eating 3 meals a day is like having your body crashing throughout the day (high blood sugar levels after eating followed by low blood sugar level through starving). Eating 5-6 times per day with protein in each meal will maintain a positive protein (nitrogen) balance and will also keep your blood sugar levels stabilized and your metabolism elevated. Try aim for 1.5lb of protein per day
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)

6) pasta is crap.

7) you're an idiot.
YAYA pasta is crap. Sound so immature. What you eat then? Lollipops for breakfast, and popcorn for dinner? Wata satisfying feast.

YAYA pasta is crap. Sound so immature. What you eat then? Lollipops for breakfast, and popcorn for dinner? Wata satisfying feast.

Basically if you have never tried weight training and you was not dedicated to it or trained long enough I can understand your advice is a load of crap. Why not try take on weight training and bodybuilding then you understand.
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Scienceboi)
more reps does not improve tone it improves muscle indurance, u can increase ur tone simply by losing weight, and if u increase muscle size at the same time, then even more rapid improvements in tone will be seen.
Sorry about my wrong info of high reps above 10 will tone you. This is wrong guys. A lot of people define tone wrong, and im one of them. What I meant was being "pumped" up. When you do a lot of reps, you muscles look bigger because you look pumped up due to the amount of reps. But It wont do much in the terms of size of muscles. You want to gain size, do low reps with heavy weights prefably around 4-6 reps.
speedstacker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
ok i'm 17 yrs old and i've never really hit the gym or anything. about 2 years back i played b-ball every day about 2 hrs a day and i swim every week about 2 hrs too, and this has been going since i was 10 or something. this caused me to be very fit and i have nice chest muscles and i also have (had) a nice 6 pack and girls think i have a hot body (they tell me). even some of my guy friends want to see it!?!. however, since then i've been very busy and there's no time at all and i notice i really am getting fatter and stuff and my face is getting more round (less visible jawline and cheekbone) and my chest muscles are less visible and my 6 pack is not visible unless i flex it, and even then you could only see the top 4. on top of that i feel less fit and i get tired easier. about 6 months ago when i swam for about 1 hr i was really dead. i know it sounds gay but i'm not and i want a nice body to attract girls and i also want to be physically fit. i want to work out in college (because facility will be more accessible and i feel i'll have time for it and i feel it's also a good time), mainly to build back those muscles and biceps, triceps as well.

what do you think i should do, given the fact i've never done any real workout before. what moves to do (situp, pushup etc.), how many times, how much weight, how long, how frequent etc. thanks a lot.
As most people will say You Are What You Eat. Check what u have taken recently, and see if u can make them more healthy, and start doing the sports that u did. But, again, food that u taken r playing important roles as well.

( hope this will work)
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
precisely. its still crap and totally irrelevant to this topic.
why is it totally irrelenvant? Diets aid weight training a lot? Whats wrong with a carb load? Isn't what you said about weight gainers not neccessary, but isn't weight gainers like the same thing as carb loading, chucking in 80g of carbs at once, throughout the day?
BBGirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SammyD)
Ok, I think this thread is kinda missing the point. This guy wants to start out at the gym, not train for a contest. Just aim for a healthy balanced diet, which means getting all the food groups, not over eating but not going hungry, and allowing yourself the odd treat if you want it. Go to the gym 3 or 4 days a week, start out with some cardio for 20 - 30 minutes then move onto weights. Just do three sets of 8 to 12 reps, at a weight which isn't killing you but isn't too easy. I'd suggest finding one that leaves you a little uncomfortable after the first set and feeling the burn after the third.
Precisely...........thats wot I said!

Shadower................Bis is just, very much, into provoking and antagonising people..........ignore him and he'll go away!
rock_eleven
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Shadower__)
Try aim for 1.5lb of protein per day
you probably mean 1.5grams per lb of bodyweight
Shadower__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rock_eleven)
yeh thats it lol, missed out the g and /
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Shadower__)
why is it totally irrelenvant? Diets aid weight training a lot? Whats wrong with a carb load? Isn't what you said about weight gainers not neccessary, but isn't weight gainers like the same thing as carb loading, chucking in 80g of carbs at once, throughout the day?
he was talking about cycling or some other crap, rather than the topic of discussion, burk. i'm gonna be honest, i haven't actually read any of your posts except this one, it would be a waste of energy.

i'll conclude by saying: you have no idea what you are on about.
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rock_eleven)
ha. yeah, eat 1.5 pounds of protein per day!
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BBGirl)
Precisely...........thats wot I said!

Shadower................Bis is just, very much, into provoking and antagonising people..........ignore him and he'll go away!
i never go away.

and please learn to spell. that site i suggest earlier is really good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads