Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bis)
    1) pasta is crap

2) i didn't say free weights doesn't have benefits, pillock. i said that machines aren't better for toning. quote me biatch.

3) weight gainers are mainly protein.

4) 6 meals a day doesn't put you in an 'anabolic state', but i didn't deny its advantages.

5) please learn to structure.

6) tell me what you want me to argue about, i can't be bothered to trawl through your masses of incoherent waste.

7) die.
    (Original post by Bis)
    1) my name is Bis, not 'bip'.

2) machines aren't good at toning, you have no idea what you are on about. toning doesn't even exist. they are no different to free weights in that sense. nor are they 'not good at strengthening core muscles'.

3) more reps doesn't equal more tone, in fact its the other way around.

4) that 'weight gainer crap' is not 'stupid' you moron. and it has hardly any sugar in, it mainly consists of protein.

5) eating 6 times a day doesn't get you in an 'anabolic state'.

6) pasta is crap.

7) you're an idiot.

Read your two posts again see something especially about number 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bis)
    1) my name is Bis, not 'bip'.

2) machines aren't good at toning, you have no idea what you are on about. toning doesn't even exist. they are no different to free weights in that sense. nor are they 'not good at strengthening core muscles'.
    1)firstly you name, bis bip same thing, do i care?

I have come on here to give advice and if someone gave me their side of their argument I will listen. Do you think there is any need for name calling? In fact you don't know jack about bodybuilding as from reading your comments.

2)Unlike exercise machines, they do not constrain users to specific, fixed movements, and therefore require more effort from the individual's stabilizer muscles

If you actually do weights yourself which I assume you don’t due to your lack of knowledge bis. Free weights are great because you're not only working in a single plane or angle, in addition to the stabilizing muscles. If you are doing a machine bench press (smith machine) and you bench 110kg for reps, and you try and do it on a free weight flat bench press I can guarantee you wont be able to do as much. So don’t chat crap about saying free weights wont do jack more than machines. Exercise machines can go some way toward preventing poor form.

Also if you do a freeweight barbell curl compared to the machine, man does that feel a lot better. You feel the burning sensation in your biceps more than the machine. The range of motion on the machine for bicep curls are totally different. The machine you can lift a lot more but is it doing you more good than the freeweight barbell…A BIG FAT NO.

btw when you actually said nor do they do no good in strengthening core muscles. Theres double negative in that sentence, which means they do right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bis)

4) that 'weight gainer crap' is not 'stupid' you moron. and it has hardly any sugar in, it mainly consists of protein.
    Blah blah yada yada “ it consists mainly of protein”- Bis…yeh sure they do

Av a look on the websites? Mostly protein? Man get your percentages right? Can you do maths?

http://bodybuilding.com/store/tl/super.html

Only 35g of sugar

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/4ever/iso.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cn/heavy.html

Wow 42g of sugar per serving, surely that isn’t healthy. Only 35g of protein? I pay so much and get that little pfffff, can by so much food with that money.

Wow the other carb is Maltodextrin. Very unhealthy to consume throughout the day, high GI and all that. Don’t want blood sugar levels to go too high do we? Also insulin levels will greatly rise, causing insulin resistance in long time. BAD malto BAD malto.

Why eat sugar? Make your own cheaper weight gainer. Eat dense calorific foods. Chuck in loads of pinhead oatmeal in your mouth and chase it down with milk. Sugar is not exactly health is it? Oatmeal has many benefits….lowering cholesterol, medium GI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bis)

5) eating 6 times a day doesn't get you in an 'anabolic state'.

Ok so you tell me then, try comparing yourself from eating 3 meals a day or 6 meals a
    day whilst hitting the gym, see how much more you will grow by eating 6 meals a day.

You do know that our bodies are always in a catabolic state. That means to grow and get bigger muscles you need to be in an anabolic state which is greater than the catabolic rate right? Oui, therefore you need to eat constantly supplying your body with constant levels of amino acids. The blood level of amino acids in your bloodstream drop quite low after 4 hours before the last time you ate protein. Therefore the rate of anabolism is going to decrease drastically, making catabolism greater than anabolism, do you get the idea?

Anabolism peaks after 2 hours you have eating. It’s important to keep feeding yourself constant amounts of nutrition. Eating 3 meals a day is like having your body crashing throughout the day (high blood sugar levels after eating followed by low blood sugar level through starving). Eating 5-6 times per day with protein in each meal will maintain a positive protein (nitrogen) balance and will also keep your blood sugar levels stabilized and your metabolism elevated. Try aim for 1.5g of protein/lb of bodyweight per day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bis)

6) pasta is crap.

7) you're an idiot.
    YAYA pasta is crap. Sound so immature. What you eat then? Lollipops for breakfast, and popcorn for dinner? Wata satisfying feast.

YAYA pasta is crap. Sound so immature. What you eat then? Lollipops for breakfast, and popcorn for dinner? Wata satisfying feast.

ReputationRep:
    Shadower, i dont know as much as Bis, but i know my stuff through learning if off other places, and for a person who claims to know his stuff, you have a lot of verbal diarrea.

Bis knows his stuff, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    Shadower, i dont know as much as Bis, but i know my stuff through learning if off other places, and for a person who claims to know his stuff, you have a lot of verbal diarrea.

Bis knows his stuff, trust me.
    cheers Markus. he sure does have verbal diarrea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadower__)
    Ok so you tell me then, try comparing yourself from eating 3 meals a day or 6 meals a
    day whilst hitting the gym, see how much more you will grow by eating 6 meals a day.

You do know that our bodies are always in a catabolic state. That means to grow and get bigger muscles you need to be in an anabolic state which is greater than the catabolic rate right? Oui, therefore you need to eat constantly supplying your body with constant levels of amino acids. The blood level of amino acids in your bloodstream drop quite low after 4 hours before the last time you ate protein. Therefore the rate of anabolism is going to decrease drastically, making catabolism greater than anabolism, do you get the idea?

Anabolism peaks after 2 hours you have eating. It’s important to keep feeding yourself constant amounts of nutrition. Eating 3 meals a day is like having your body crashing throughout the day (high blood sugar levels after eating followed by low blood sugar level through starving). Eating 5-6 times per day with protein in each meal will maintain a positive protein (nitrogen) balance and will also keep your blood sugar levels stabilized and your metabolism elevated. Try aim for 1.5g of protein/lb of bodyweight per day
    you expect me to read all that incoherent crap?

ReputationRep:
    HAHAH YOU SAYING I KNOW NOTHING WITH DIET? I dont have any weight gainer crap because its crap loaded with sugar. You think its healthy with sugar? Have you read all my posts, and all the crap bis has said? My diet is clean and I am dedicated to it. I go to school and I still can eat a load.

If you dont know what the ingredients in the weight gainer are, and whether they are beneficial or more harmful then I suggest you shutup.
    you laugh in caps? man to me that screams insecurity. deep down you know you are talking crap, just can't handle it eh?

Oh and the incredients are quality carbs in my shakes, not sugar. I know this for a fact but dare me go into it, i'll just get "?" back from you.

ReputationRep:
    I have this soya protien powder but mixed with milk it tastes rank do you reckon it would still be good if I just had the powder like had 2 scoops of the powder? Because this makes it a lot easier to use after hitting the gym seeing as the gym is 3 miles away.

ReputationRep:
    are you trying to say that you have premade soya protein drink but tastes crap?

"do you reckon it would still be good if I just had the powder like had 2 scoops of the powder? " i dont understand what your trying to say

ReputationRep:
    Like just eat the powder instead of mixing it with milk

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt recommend it, the powder on its own will probably taste even worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenageclay)
    Like just eat the powder instead of mixing it with milk
    mix it with water, thats what i do

ReputationRep:
    K I'll try that then the powder on it's own tastes really sweet though and I have about a full set of sweet teeth

ReputationRep:
    mix it with water, thats what i do
    My god... you do it... IT MUST BE TRUE. (SARCASM)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    My god... you do it... IT MUST BE TRUE. (SARCASM)
    hah yeah. he will end up putting people off.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: ^^^

hey bis i don't know if u know ur stuff or not or whatever, but it really would be better to say what you think is right instead of just pointing out what you think is wrong and say it's all crap. what's your expertise in this? you study this stuff? you're a professional weight trainer?

i myself am not an expert so i don't know what is crap whats good thats why i started this thread. when i started this thread i didn't expect it to turn out into a workout debate though. the people whose advice you say is crap are trying to help by giving what works for them and perhaps different things work for different people. so what worked for them you may see as crap, but what worked for you they may also see as crap.

ReputationRep:
    Shadower I can't believe you keep going on about bis saying free weights don't do anything more than machines.
    Read his post and understand it mate. He said that free weights are no difference from machines in that on neither will you 'tone' simply by doing more reps.

I suppose if you did loads of reps at a lower weight eventually you would burn off a bit of body fat hence the only way you could increase muscle 'tone' by doing that.

Shadower from your posts your still at school so not meaning to patronise but bis does know a lot more than you and certainly will know about the free weights developing stabiliser muscles not just fibres in one direction a la machine weights.

But you ain't gonna 'tone' muscle by doing millions of reps at low weight on free weights just like you aren't gonna 'tone' by doing millions of reps on machines.

Tone = increase muscle mass + decrease body fat

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2006
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.