Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    aye- and the extra letters make it look so much nicer
    Yeah. You may as well write in text speak if your going to write american spellings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    We should adopt whichever spelling is the most logical, concise and efficient; forget the heritage aspect of the debate.
    Why does it need to change? We stick with how we spell and the Americans can spell it how they like. It's not like it causes huge communication difficulties or anythin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Why does it need to change? We stick with how we spell and the Americans can spell it how they like. It's not like it causes huge communication difficulties or anythin'
    exactly- why should we change our written language to suit the Americans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    We should adopt whichever spelling is the most logical, concise and efficient; forget the heritage aspect of the debate.
    why? and how does it make a big difference to efficiency by removing or adding an extra letter here or there? If anything needs to be standardised (and i'm not saying it does) then it should be accents. written american is reletively easy to understand- but spoken american can be incomprehensible

ReputationRep:
    What a snobbish bunch! One of the reasons why English is amongst the richest language in the world is that it is a living language that continually evolves.

In a living language spellings change, and foreign words are continually absorbed into the tapestry of the language.

Does it really matter if Americans have find comedy"humorous"? Does it matter that food stuffs that are good for you and titillate the palate are in American parlance "healthful and tasteful"?

Somebody earlier put the American liking for shortening words (honour becoming honor for example) down to laziness. If this is so it seems the native English have little room to complain as last time I checked shoppe had been long since reduced to shop.

Why so much snobbery coming from an England, with a current functional illiteracy rate of 20odd %?

ReputationRep:
    why? and how does it make a big difference to efficiency by removing or adding an extra letter here or there? If anything needs to be standardised (and i'm not saying it does) then it should be accents. written american is reletively easy to understand- but spoken american can be incomprehensible
    Spoken "English" can be incomprehensible to many Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Why so much snobbery coming from an England, with a current functional illiteracy rate of 20odd %?
    Because we (on this forum) are literate, and we are used to seeing words look a particular way. I like the way English words look; I don't like the American way as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ++Hex++)
    Because we (on this forum) are literate, and we are used to seeing words look a particular way. I like the way English words look; I don't like the American way as much.
    I'm well aware of and little doubt the literacy of most people who frequent this forum. I just don't understand this aversion to change in the English language.

Do you perhaps sympathize with the French approach; one which actually goes so far as legislating against the inclusion of new words and spelling? A very interesting idea that IMO is bound to ensure the stagnation of French and which leaves French speakers scratching their heads trying to apply French words to foreign concepts and inventions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm well aware of and little doubt the literacy of most people who frequent this forum. I just don't understand this aversion to change in the English language.

Do you perhaps sympathize with the French approach; one which actually goes so far as legislating against the inclusion of new words and spelling? A very interesting idea that IMO is bound to ensure the stagnation of French and which leaves French speakers scratching their heads trying to apply French words to foreign concepts and inventions.
    no- I just don't see why we should change our spelling so it is the same as the american spelling when no such change is needed. I like the way that our words are spelt, they are part of our culture and I don't want that to be lost.

ReputationRep:
    no- I just don't see why we should change our spelling so it is the same as the american spelling when no such change is needed. I like the way that our words are spelt, they are part of our culture and I don't want that to be lost.
    Who says you have to? Is this what Paliament is legislating for these days?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    How come you aren't still using the same sort of language as Shakespeare then?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...075258-3218004
    And excellent read - rather than moaning about the differences why not learn something about how they came about and all of the amazing words that have only come into the english language through americanisms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ++Hex++)
    I was told last year that we might have to use 'sulfur' instead of 'sulphur' in Chemistry exams. That just looks so wrong.
    Yeah, that's international convention now.

I like the word sulphur...

ReputationRep:
    We're conservative at heart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Yeah, that's international convention now.

I like the word sulphur...
    Me too! Sometimes I worry people with my attachment to certain words. Ever had the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    Why is it that Americans spell their words differently than the Brits?

Noah Webster wrote the American dictionary. When he began his great dictionary, he said he didn't want spellings used by 'that feller Johnson' that is the first British dictionary writer, Samuel Johnson. So Noah webster is responsible for the fact that certain American spellings are different from our own.

American British

behavior behaviour
    color colour
    traveler traveller
    neighbor neighbour

etc etc etc

Kinda interesting don't you think?
    Don't you think there is an advantage in that?
    For instance you can spell someword and say i spelt it the american way....

ReputationRep:
    wow everybody: breaking news: Not every single country in the world speaks the same way you do, there is no reason to make fun of it. It's called a difference between two countries. You dont always have to be better. We dont come on and make fun of the ways you do everything, why do you do it to us? I am sick of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    wow everybody: breaking news: Not every single country in the world speaks the same way you do, there is no reason to make fun of it. It's called a difference between two countries. You dont always have to be better. We dont come on and make fun of the ways you do everything, why do you do it to us? I am sick of it.
    No ones taking the mick out of anyone, i only started the thread, because it was interesting to know why the spellings are so different! no hard feelings!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    I think as long as we maintain our spellings we'll be fine. To a certain extent I think that English is English and it should be how the English use it, but hey, the language is evolving all the time, and I guess the americans are going their own way. I don't really approve of webster changing it from the start though!

The other day at work this american asked me where the 'shopping carts' were. I said 'oh, you mean trolleys' to which he replied, 'no, I mean shopping cart, why don't you learn english!'

I had to walk away! Was going to slap him!
    so in the end he 'did' mean shopping trolley right?

ReputationRep:
    british: aluminium
    american: aluminum
    what about the way they say data, da--ta

ReputationRep:
    you brits use the word "gobsmacked" so you cant be making fun of anyone

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.