Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I need to know how denaturation affects the hydrogen bonds of a protein, I also need to be able to define it, and I need to know something about ionic strength, can anyone help?

(and yes I am doing the albumen project thing)

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I need to know how denaturation affects the hydrogen bonds of a protein, I also need to be able to define it, and I need to know something about ionic strength, can anyone help?

(and yes I am doing the albumen project thing)

Denaturing effects the hydrogen bonds between the charged particles of a protien in its tertiary shape, as it denatures the bonds break and the charges on the protiens molecules change. Hope this is right lol don't do biology anymore whoo

ReputationRep:
    when a protein is denatured the bonds that hold the 3D tertiary structure of the protein break. The polypeptide chains open up and become randomly arranged. Therefore the tertiary 3D structure is different and so it no longer carries out its job. e.g. enzymes - the substrate will no longer fit the active site!!

Hope that is of help!!!!!!!!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.