The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Accommodation advice please!

Hi everyone, I know that accommodation booking doesn't open til 1st March, but I'm starting to think about it and I really need some advice :s-smilie:

I have an offer for Modern Language Studies, which I am definitely going to firm. I want to go catered for my first year, and I would also quite like an en-suite. But I would really love some advice from current students on what it's like to have an en-suite and if it's worth paying the extra money etc.

When I visited Nottingham in September I looked around a few halls and I fell in love with Cripps, but should I apply for different rooms in the same hall, or apply to different halls?

Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by blackpearl23456
Hi everyone, I know that accommodation booking doesn't open til 1st March, but I'm starting to think about it and I really need some advice :s-smilie:

I have an offer for Modern Language Studies, which I am definitely going to firm. I want to go catered for my first year, and I would also quite like an en-suite. But I would really love some advice from current students on what it's like to have an en-suite and if it's worth paying the extra money etc.

When I visited Nottingham in September I looked around a few halls and I fell in love with Cripps, but should I apply for different rooms in the same hall, or apply to different halls?

Help!

Not sure if you can apply for specific halls - you couldn't last year. But they are all pretty much the same on the whole, despite what some will try to tell you,
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
This was literally a few threads down and it gives information about the campus en-suite accommodation.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1908974

Also, you have no choice of which hall you end up in. You pick the type of room and they allocate you. You could end up in Cripps or you might not.
Reply 3
Original post by scbond
This was literally a few threads down and it gives information about the campus en-suite accommodation.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1908974

Also, you have no choice of which hall you end up in. You pick the type of room and they allocate you. You could end up in Cripps or you might not.

That really sucks I really wanna get in to Broadgate Park!
Original post by Omiclops

I think that's different. As far as i'm aware, the not being able to pick aspect only applies to the catered halls within University Park. Broadgate Park isn't run by the university and is off campus, so I would assume you can choose to go there specifically.
Reply 5
Original post by Omiclops

Campus halls are at random...off campus and you can pick and choose as you like.
Reply 6
Original post by scbond
Campus halls are at random...off campus and you can pick and choose as you like.

Original post by aimlessinwonder
I think that's different. As far as i'm aware, the not being able to pick aspect only applies to the catered halls within University Park. Broadgate Park isn't run by the university and is off campus, so I would assume you can choose to go there specifically.

Oh I see thanks guys :biggrin:
Reply 7
I wish it wasn't random :frown: If I go I wanted Cripps, it's closest to the maths and other science buildings :frown: every minute of extra sleep for those morning lectures is vital :smile:
Reply 8
I've firmed Edinburgh and now I'm stuck between:
Pollock halls - 50% of first years live here, catered, mixed sex, average £160 a week, all in the same area a 15 minute walk from lectures
Flats - about 150 in each block, self-catered, single sex, average £90 a week, dotted around the city but some close to my lectures (literally jump out of bed and be there)

They both have their pros/cons I can't choose! Anyone's opinions on what they'd choose?

EDIT: sorry for intruding on your thread by the way haha
Reply 9
I heard that you couldn't pick specific halls last year but, this year we would be able to pick are favourite 3 for example and they would aim to give us one of them. I hope we pick this year as I really want either Hugh Stewart or Cripps.
Reply 10
Original post by Jammyj12
I heard that you couldn't pick specific halls last year but, this year we would be able to pick are favourite 3 for example and they would aim to give us one of them. I hope we pick this year as I really want either Hugh Stewart or Cripps.

That sounds awesome! Anyone able to confirm this?
Reply 11
[QUOTE="Black_Jack;36472212"]That sounds awesome! Anyone able to confirm this?[/QUOTEProblem is that almost everybody wants the same two halls for reasons I can't imagine.
Reply 12
HughStu and Cripps from what I understand are just the most central so the most desirable. Doubt there can be any much else to it?

Anyway - if this year we do have the option of listing hall preferences, I can only imagine the amount of students camping out at 11:59pm on the 29th waiting to submit their forms for the 1st.

Saying that, I may be the only person sad enough to do that :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Hi

I'm actually at the uni of Nottingham at the moment. I have an en-suite room in Cripps.

I would definitely say Cripps is the best hall. :P I'm probably biased, but it has the biggest rooms out of any hall on campus and it's really close to everything. You can literally leave 5 minutes before a lecture and still get there on time. Not sure what the situation is for applying for halls this year. Last year, we weren't allowed to choose a specific hall, but in the special/extra requirement box, I wrote down that my first choice of hall would be Cripps and they clearly listened to me, so that's worth a try.

With regards to an en-suite room, I really love having an en-suite but most of my other friends in Cripps don't have one and they've had no problems, so it's just a matter of personal choice.

Hope this helped. :smile:
Reply 14
Very important question. WHERE CAN I LIVE WHERE I CAN HAVE A PET? Namely a cat. Maybe a rabbit. I want to live in BGP! Thanksssss.
Original post by Felinori
Very important question. WHERE CAN I LIVE WHERE I CAN HAVE A PET? Namely a cat. Maybe a rabbit. I want to live in BGP! Thanksssss.

Rented accommodation very rarely allow pets, let alone student halls. I could be wrong here, but I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to bring a pet to Halls of Residence.
Reply 16
Original post by aimlessinwonder
Rented accommodation very rarely allow pets, let alone student halls. I could be wrong here, but I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to bring a pet to Halls of Residence.

You make me sad. Nah it's cool, I thought it'd be like that. Just hoped it'd be different in BGP as it's not quite campus! Thanks though.
I can't decide between Broadgate and Raleigh park. Broadgate is closer to UP, but walking to Raleigh park, you get nice scenic views of the lovely Jubilee campus.
Reply 18
Original post by Black_Jack
HughStu and Cripps from what I understand are just the most central so the most desirable. Doubt there can be any much else to it?

Anyway - if this year we do have the option of listing hall preferences, I can only imagine the amount of students camping out at 11:59pm on the 29th waiting to submit their forms for the 1st.

Saying that, I may be the only person sad enough to do that :s-smilie:

I will be there too worry not.
Reply 19
Original post by chloe07
Hi

I'm actually at the uni of Nottingham at the moment. I have an en-suite room in Cripps.

I would definitely say Cripps is the best hall. :P I'm probably biased, but it has the biggest rooms out of any hall on campus and it's really close to everything. You can literally leave 5 minutes before a lecture and still get there on time. Not sure what the situation is for applying for halls this year. Last year, we weren't allowed to choose a specific hall, but in the special/extra requirement box, I wrote down that my first choice of hall would be Cripps and they clearly listened to me, so that's worth a try.

With regards to an en-suite room, I really love having an en-suite but most of my other friends in Cripps don't have one and they've had no problems, so it's just a matter of personal choice.

Hope this helped. :smile:

Is Cripps on campus? Because I thought on campus had no en suite? Are you catered or self catered?

Quick Reply

Latest