Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering...if you have the pH of a solution, is it possible to work out the concentration of the substances using kp?
    Basically, what i have is the pH changes during the aerobic respiration of yeast.. the pH changes because CO2 is produced and dissociates.. is it possible for me to calculate the amount of CO2 present in the solution? If it's not possible like this..is there any other way i could figure out the amount of CO2 present in the solution using pH?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dal)
    i was wondering...if you have the pH of a solution, is it possible to work out the concentration of the substances using kp?
    Basically, what i have is the pH changes during the aerobic respiration of yeast.. the pH changes because CO2 is produced and dissociates.. is it possible for me to calculate the amount of CO2 present in the solution? If it's not possible like this..is there any other way i could figure out the amount of CO2 present in the solution using pH?
    thanks
    Yes, but you'll need to know the concentration of HCO3- ions since it is in the following equilibrium...

CO2 + H20 <=> H2CO3 <=> H+ + HCO3-

pH = 6.1 + log [ (HCO3-) / (0.03 x pCO2) ]

ReputationRep:
    any ideas how i could find the H2co3 concentration?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dal)
    any ideas how i could find the H2co3 concentration?
    [H2CO3] = 0.03 x pCO2

that's why I have adjusted the equation the above not to include [H2CO3]so that you don't need to know the concentration of carbonic acid...

other than reading out an equation in my lecture notes i havent got a clue - i am no biochemist - not that they would have a clue about anything... (other than enzymes or the liver... i expect they know everything there is to know about these 'wonderful' things )

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.