The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spectator1993
Is applying for accommodation on a first come, first serve basis?

No.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 321
Anyone else taking a gamble and applying for the one they don't have pictures or floor plans of?

It's quite exciting :P
Original post by HeatherM
Anyone else taking a gamble and applying for the one they don't have pictures or floor plans of?

It's quite exciting :P

If you have any questions, just ask us. :smile:
Reply 323
Original post by ScholarsInk

i already applied for it. I mean, its my third choice, but i was struggling to pick and decided to just take a risk. I didn't want Catered. :P
Original post by ScholarsInk

Now that you mention it :smile:

Do you know anything about "Meadow Court" beyond the little information given by the website page?
Reply 325
Why does it happen that there is a list on the website of Edinburgh Uni with the available self-catered accommodation for undergraduates, and when I make the application, there are way less options to choose from?
Reply 326
Original post by scotland369

Do you know anything about "Meadow Court" beyond the little information given by the website page?

I know just that, but I applied for it anyway. :P. It sounds nice, and it's only 9 months or so anyway, and it's quite exciting to not have a clue :smile:
Reply 327
Hi,

It might be a little silly, but I'm going to firm Edinburgh (soon, if they finally answer my questions :biggrin: ) and I think it's about time to apply for accommodation then... However, the whole thing is completely new to me (things are a little different over here :laugh: ) and it all seems a bit overwhelming; where should I start? I have never been to Edinburgh, so I don't know anything about the city itself either.. What should I consider; distances, facilities, pricing? Are there certain places or neighbourhoods you'd rather not be or anything?
Hey, I'm definitely going for the self-catered option when applying for accommodation, other than that I'm clueless of what to go for. Ideally I would love to go en-suite but can't see anywhere that offer this aside from Beaverbank? I noticed Morgan Court is en-suite but the weekly costs and tenancy say "N/A", does that mean it's not available? If it is though, any info on it that might be good to know? :tongue:

En-suite would be my top priority, location also, but not as much of a deciding factor - So does anyone know much about Beaverbank?

Other than those two, which self-catered accommodations would you guys recommend? Many thanks :biggrin:
Reply 329
Original post by Ocarinaoftime
Hey, I'm definitely going for the self-catered option when applying for accommodation, other than that I'm clueless of what to go for. Ideally I would love to go en-suite but can't see anywhere that offer this aside from Beaverbank? I noticed Morgan Court is en-suite but the weekly costs and tenancy say "N/A", does that mean it's not available? If it is though, any info on it that might be good to know? :tongue:

En-suite would be my top priority, location also, but not as much of a deciding factor - So does anyone know much about Beaverbank?

Other than those two, which self-catered accommodations would you guys recommend? Many thanks :biggrin:

i'm going to be at edinburgh for the first time this september too and beaverbank was initially my first choice because it was the only en-suite self-catered but after visiting edinburgh - i realised it is quite far away from the city centre and where the university and its facilities are (from what i gathered) so not sure if you want to take that into consideration :smile:

i ultimately decided just to go with catered - ensuite available there - and it's really really nice!
Reply 330
Original post by scotland369

It seems to be my old building, Sciennes 1. I think it got sold and refurbished so it probably looks quite different to how it was three years ago when I lived there.
Original post by Ocarinaoftime

Beaverbank's the only ensuite self catered they're offering this year :frown:
I visited it a few weeks ago when I was in Edinburgh...absolutely loved it! The facilities were brilliant and it wasn't as far out as I was expecting; it still felt like you're in the middle of the city, and even if you bought a bus pass for the year it's still good value for money :smile:
Does anybody know any more about Meadow Court? anything would be appreciated, just debating whether that should be my first choice after all :') Really, really want an en-suite; not in the spoilt way, just feel anxious of sharing a bathroom with lots of total strangers. :L Beaverbank is perfect in every way but location, and Meadow Court seems to be the answer to that... but the info on it is a little sketchy...

EDIT: anyone know why on the first year accomodation site they're offering en-suite, self-catered 'Morgan Court' and yet when you come to apply for accomodation the option for it is nowhere to be seen?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FreyaAmy:)
Does anybody know any more about Meadow Court? anything would be appreciated, just debating whether that should be my first choice after all :') Really, really want an en-suite; not in the spoilt way, just feel anxious of sharing a bathroom with lots of total strangers. :L Beaverbank is perfect in every way but location, and Meadow Court seems to be the answer to that... but the info on it is a little sketchy...

Its "new" for this year so no one really knows much about it.
I say "new" because its not new, its just a revamped version of Sciennes which has been university accommodation for years. Static. posted above saying that she stayed there as a first year and other people have also mentioned that this is where they stayed. However, due to the fact its been revamped and renamed (sounds kind of like the government's "lets make every school an academy, give it a new name a new uniform then we can imply its totally new" policy for schools) no one really knows much about it. It could have been totally revamped or they could have just painted the walls and given it a new name, I have no idea.

The location is perfectly fine and had you been asking whether Sciennes was a suitable place to stay then I would have told you yes go ahead. So with that, then you can take that to mean the new revamped renamed version of Sciennes will also be fine.

I really wouldn't worry about sharing a bathroom. Its really not an issue. In first year there are cleaners who come once a week and to be honest there isn't really that much you can actually do to make a bathroom horrible (other than be sick in it) whereas there's a million and one things people can do to make a kitchen/living area horrible.
Reply 334

Well, when I lived in Meadow Court under the previous name of Sciennes 1 there were no ensuites and according to the info now there are still no ensuites. Are you thinking of Morgan Court perhaps? I think it's primarily for postgrads but freshers live there sometimes if there's space I guess. I've been in a flat there that was occupied by first years and it seemed really nice, a bit nicer than any of the other first year sc flats honestly, but I wouldn't bank on living there because of the postgrad thing.
EDIT: anyone know why on the first year accomodation site they're offering en-suite, self-catered 'Morgan Court' and yet when you come to apply for accomodation the option for it is nowhere to be seen?

I'm pretty sure it was available for freshers last year but not this year, I'm guessing it's been limited to only postgraduates this year.
What is the likelihood of getting ensuite in Chancellor's Court?
I have applied to College Wynd, Robertson`s Close, New Arthur Place (in that order) and I have a firmed unconditional offer for ECA in September. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about these places? I am slightly worried about previous comments saying that it is unlikely you will be offered one of your choices anyway as I have chosen three of the most affordable rooms (without having to share) and would be completely buggered if I was to be offered one of the most expensive rooms instead of one of my choices. Can anyone tell me if they still aim to offer you a room within the same price range even if it is not in the location you choose?
Reply 338
Just wondering see the Pollock Halls events? Are people from other uni accommodation (such as kincaids and darroch court- examples btw) allowed to participate? Or is it just the people from Pollock? Also, is Fraser Court allowed to participate to as thats basically next to Pollock?
Original post by jprestonmoore
Can anyone tell me if they still aim to offer you a room within the same price range even if it is not in the location you choose?

They do. They take price, location and type of room into consideration, apparently (just basing this on what I heard at open days etc. - obviously haven't been in that situation myself!) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending