The Student Room Group

What languages do you speak?

Scroll to see replies

English (native/fluent), Cantonese (native/fluent), Chinese Mandarin (intermediate), Japanese (advanced).

Did some Welsh and French at GCSE....
English (native), German (conversational), Italian (beginners).
Can kind of read Dutch from German as well.
English (native language)
French (fluent)
German (Semi-fluent)
Italian (Basic conversation)
Polish (Basic conversation)

Learning BSL and Welsh
Reply 43
I got a C in Higher French, although I've forgotten a lot of what I was taught.
Reply 44
Original post by -silverfox-
English (native/fluent), Cantonese (native/fluent), Chinese Mandarin (intermediate), Japanese (advanced).

Did some Welsh and French at GCSE....

Given you're a native English speaker, can you write Chinese (either traditional or simplified)?
Original post by reubenlfc
What languages do you speak and how good are you?

French (Native), English (Fluent), Yiddish (Advanced), Hebrew (Advanced), German (Intermediate), Italian (Beginners) and Russian (Literally started two days ago).
Reply 46
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
For all Chinese Mandarin speakers out there, just HOW GOOD is this guy?

He's English or American, about 20 or younger, and is seemingly FLUENT and PERFECT in Mandarin Chinese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P4vB346GfM&feature=related (if that doesn't seem impressive enough, watch the video below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=0P4vB346GfM&v=WDHIhnvq3_w&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_919855 (he appears at 0.50)

The guy even goes on stage to do traditional stand up Chinese comedy sketch in front of hundreds of people!

Total Respect. :cool:

Impressive but I've yet to hear a non-Chinese who was not brought up in the Far East speaking fluent Cantonese, which admittedly is harder than Mandarin.

Sharon Balcombe is great, Cantonese and Mandarin but she was born in Hong Kong and lived there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-PPFA48AY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4WLX8cIgRw
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lotsofq
Given you're a native English speaker, can you write Chinese (either traditional or simplified)?

Just so you know I am a british-born cantonese. I can write both traditional and simplified but personally I prefer writing in traditional just because I think it looks more expressive.
(edited 12 years ago)
English (native)
French (advanced, but learning to be fluent)
German (Intermediate. Stopped at end of A2)
Reply 49
Just so you know I am a british-born cantonese. I can write both traditional and simplified but personally I prefer writing in traditional just because I think it looks more expressive.

How did that come about (writing Chinese)? I suppose you attend Saturday school?

Did you know apart from the two systems (traditional and simplified), it is (sort of) possible to write Cantonese?

I mean simple words like tired (gwui) can be written but normally the formal word (pei goon) us used instead?

Also, reading subtitles in Hong Kong films tend to be meaningless to those who don't speak Cantonese, despite being able to read and write Chinese because Cantonese is effectively another language?
Reply 50
English, Romanian and Russian (beginner)
Reply 51
English, Arabic, Punjabi (fluent)
Know French and some Finnish
Original post by lotsofq
How did that come about (writing Chinese)? I suppose you attend Saturday school?

Well I use attend a saturday cantonese school when I was younger and my parents taught me as well, but when I started comprehensive I stopped going and instead was partially self taught. Later about year 10 in comprehensive I started to regret not going to a cantonese school and was thinking of doing it again but where I live the cantonese schools died out the last cantonese school was officially closed, however time past and they were replaced by mandarin schools so I attended them instead but this was a short term course. At the moment I do not attend any cantonese or mandarin classes so I can focus on my A-levels.

Original post by lotsofq
Did you know apart from the two systems (traditional and simplified), it is (sort of) possible to write Cantonese?

I mean simple words like tired (gwui) can be written but normally the formal word (pei goon) us used instead?

Yes. LOl

Original post by lotsofq
Also, reading subtitles in Hong Kong films tend to be meaningless to those who don't speak Cantonese, despite being able to read and write Chinese because Cantonese is effectively another language?

Well I haven't really ever watched any Hong Kong films. But I have travelled to Hong Kong alot, television there have some channels that uses mandarin subtitles on cantonese spoken channels and vice-versa. Both mandarin and cantonese languages are used in Hong Kong so it doesn't really matter if you don't understand one of them (a good example of this are train stations calling for next stops, i remember they call out cantonese, mandarin and english). Also nowadays most people (mostly young generation and public sector workers) in Hong Kong speak both. And yes cantonese is effectively another language.
Reply 53
Well I use attend a saturday cantonese school when I was younger and my parents taught me as well, but when I started comprehensive I stopped going and instead was partially self taught. Later about year 10 in comprehensive I started to regret not going to a cantonese school and was thinking of doing it again but where I live the cantonese schools died out the last cantonese school was officially closed, however time past and they were replaced by mandarin schools so I attended them instead but this was a short term course. At the moment I do not attend any cantonese or mandarin classes so I can focus on my A-levels.

Yes. LOl

Well I haven't really ever watched any Hong Kong films. But I have travelled to Hong Kong alot, television there have some channels that uses mandarin subtitles on cantonese spoken channels and vice-versa. Both mandarin and cantonese languages are used in Hong Kong so it doesn't really matter if you don't understand one of them (a good example of this are train stations calling for next stops, i remember they call out cantonese, mandarin and english). Also nowadays most people (mostly young generation and public sector workers) in Hong Kong speak both. And yes cantonese is effectively another language.

I don't understand your comment re Mandarin subs. I thought what one says in Mandarin is what one writes (unlike Cantonese) or am I mistaken? If so, Mandarin subs don't exist?

Young HK-ers are amazing being tri-lingual, though their spoken English is still accented. How well do you know HK?
Reply 54
English & Tamil to a good standard.
In all truth had a torrid time when learning French at school (restricted us to set topics) but would like to pick it up again & gain a wider variety of French. Also want to pick up German from the basics & learn Italian. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
English, Bengali (my mother tongue but it's nowhere near as good as my English), a little German
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
English (Fluent), Welsh (Fluent), German (Beginner-Intermediate), Spanish (Beginner) :]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Danish, my native language. English, fluent. German, intermediate.
Would love to learn Spanish or Italian.
English, French, a bit of German and Spanish and learning Russian next year :smile:
Reply 59
English (Native)
German (Intermediate - advanced)
French (beginner - intermediate)
Russian (beginner)

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending