The Student Room Group

Why do so many Asians take the Medicine/Dentistry route?

And by Asians I'm mostly referring to Indians/Pakistanis, then maybe throw in a couple of Chinese/Korean.

Lets not beat around the bush here, a lot of Asians take the Medicine/Dentistry route. I'm not saying that most people who apply for these courses are Asian but you have to admit, most Asians will apply for those courses or go down the Biochem/Biomed route with the hope of getting into Medicine - but why?

It is prestige? Do people in the community look up to you because you're studying Medicine and Dentistry? Or is it just money? This is a genuine question because every single Indian/Pakistani person from my college is either studying Medicine/Dentisry/Biomed, aspiring to study either of those or doing something in Business/Accounting (which is still typical). I think it's disgraceful to be honest.

Here you have Kid A, who takes genuine pride in serving their community. Ever since they could walk, Kid A was deeply intrigued by the inner workings of the body. They see the human anatomy as a grand vessel for knowledge and the idea of working with people firsthand, giving them advice, curing them and even performing surgery on them appeals to them very much so they do everything to achieve their goal.

However, now you have Kid B. Kid B is doing their GCSEs/A levels and doesn't know what to study in university so their parents tell them to do Medicine/Dentistry because it's the bee's knees. Now the thing is, Kid B doesn't actually care about the implications of taking on such a challenge. Kid B is of above average intelligence and despite having absolutely zero passion for Medicine or Dentisry, Kid B decides to do it anyway just for prestige, even if it means spending countless hours pretending to enjoy work experience in some smelly retirement home or skimming through science journals, only to memorise and recite a few key phrases in a Medicine interview in order to brownose the interviewers. The disturbing thing here is that Kid B doesn't care about serving his or her community. They just want the title of 'Doctor'.

In case anyone didn't understand my euphemisms, Kid A is someone who has a genuine passion for Medicine and Kid B is a typical Asian.

(In b4 politically correct and brainwashed morons fishing for rep say something along the lines of: "Yeah but you're generalising, blah blah blah."
Or an Asian who isn't doing Medicine/Dentistry tries to discredit my argument with:
"I am an Asian and I'm doing Sociology, therefore, despite being a rare exception to an obvious trend, your argument is stupid"
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well you've answered your own question haven't you. It's a cultural thing, we've all heard Asian parents jokes, and that's because in a lot of families it's all true.

Personally, I feel really sorry for anyone (Asian or not) like Kid B, but some people are weak and will succumb to whatever their parents tell them to. It's not just Medicine and Dentistry either, there's Economics and Physics and Engineering and other subjects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lukas1051
Well you've answered your own question haven't you. It's a cultural thing, we've all heard Asian parents jokes, and that's because in a lot of families it's all true.

Personally, I feel really sorry for anyone (Asian or not) like Kid B, but some people are weak and will succumb to whatever their parents tell them to. It's not just Medicine and Dentistry either, there's Economics and Physics and Engineering and other subjects.

I second this
Reply 3
Original post by Zangoose
And by Asians I'm mostly referring to Indians/Pakistanis, then maybe throw in a couple of Chinese/Korean.

Lets not beat around the bush here, a lot of Asians take the Medicine/Dentistry route. I'm not saying that most people who apply for these courses are Asian but you have to admit, most Asians will apply for those courses or go down the Biochem/Biomed route with the hope of getting into Medicine - but why?

It is prestige? Do people in the community look up to you because you're studying Medicine and Dentistry? Or is it just money? This is a genuine question because every single Indian/Pakistani person from my college is either studying Medicine/Dentisry/Biomed, aspiring to study either of those or doing something in Business/Accounting (which is still typical). I think it's disgraceful to be honest.

are you kidding me? why would it be disgraceful...?

Here you have Kid A, who takes genuine pride in serving their community. Ever since they could walk, Kid A was deeply intrigued by the inner workings of the body. He sees the human anatomy as a grand vessel for knowledge and the idea of working with people firsthand, giving them advice, curing them and even performing surgery on them appeals to them very much so they do everything to achieve their goal.

does that necessarily make this person the one who deserves to get into medical school and become a doctor? I mean, real life isn't really about who's the most passionate, or who's the one who researches about anatomy for hours on end? Does the fact that he liked the human body at 5 make him a better candidate? Real life doesn't care about who puts in the most effort. It's about who's the best. And they have criteria, and the admissions pick who they like. It's not an ideal system, but what can be done about that?

However, now you have Kid B. Kid B is doing their GCSEs/A levels and doesn't know what to study in university so their parents tell them to do Medicine/Dentistry because it's the bee's knees. Now the thing is, Kid B doesn't actually care about the implications of taking on such a challenge. Kid B is of above average intelligence and despite having absolutely zero passion for Medicine or Dentisry, Kid B decides to do it anyway just for prestige, even if it means spending countless hours pretending to enjoy work experience in some smelly retirement home or skimming through science journals, only to memorise and recite a few key phrases in a Medicine interview in order to brownose the interviewers. The disturbing thing here is that Kid B doesn't care about serving his or her community. They just want the title of 'Doctor'.

In case anyone didn't understand my euphemisms, Kid A is someone who has a genuine passion for Medicine and Kid B is a typical Asian.

(In b4 politically correct and brainwashed morons fishing for rep say something along the lines of: "Yeah but you're generalising, blah blah blah."
Or an Asian who isn't doing Medicine/Dentistry tries to discredit my argument with:
"I am an Asian and I'm doing Sociology, therefore, despite being a rare exception to an obvious trend, your argument is stupid"

look, yes many Asians want to be in these sorts of professions. But is that such a bad thing?

I mean, doctors are well respected in these cultures, in asian cultures, the work ethic is very powerful and asians are brought up with ambitious attitudes. Is that such a bad thing? I mean, you're right, there are many asians who just want to be doctors for example because of their parents. But then there are also those who are encouraged by their parents and do actually make great doctors. Is that such a bad thing?

just chill ok?
If I'm honest, I think kid A is lying and is in it for the money
Reply 5
Parents want their children to have a very content and comfortable lives.
Reply 6
Tbh, people from my college seemed to fit in this stereotype...

And I remember talking to some guy about it, and he was asking me how well respected doctors are in England, because in his country it is the best profession to get into - as well as being one that only rich kids can do, because they are the only ones who can afford it.

I had to explain to him that prospective medical students seem to think being a doctor is a respected profession, but lets face it, how many patients like going to the doctor? People spend more time complaining about doctors than saying how wonderful their career choice is.
Reply 7
And by Asians x"

There's nothing to say that Kid A will make a better doctor than Kid B though. 'Genuine passion' for medicine at age 18 is quite meaningless compared to determination and ability and if Kid B has determination and ability he will probably be more successful than Kid A who wanted to be a doctor in order to 'serve their community'.

There's no reason to be so annoyed about this.
Reply 8
Original post by T-Toe
Parents want their children to have a very content and comfortable lives.

But in a public sector job, should this take precedence over the fact that you're working with people? Seems a bit selfish. Might as well give uni places or jobs to much more deserving people who are in it to use their skills and knowledge with helping others being a primary concern - not to those who just want a big house and flashy car.
Reply 9
Original post by Mike93L
There's nothing to say that Kid A will make a better doctor than Kid B though. 'Genuine passion' for medicine at age 18 is quite meaningless compared to determination and ability and if Kid B has determination and ability he will probably be more successful than Kid A who wanted to be a doctor in order to 'serve their community'.

There's no reason to be so annoyed about this.

Funny thing is, you're probably just referring to money when you say "success" and I'll stop right there because I can't have a logical debate with someone who has such warped way of thinking.
Reply 10
Original post by matthew769
If I'm honest, I think kid A is lying and is in it for the money

What if Kid A was fascinated in the subject before acquiring knowledge of wages?

And whats your opinion of Kid B?
Reply 11
Funny thing is, you're probably just referring to money when you say "success" and I'll stop right there because I can't have a logical debate with someone who has such warped way of thinking.

Success as in how good a doctor they actually are. How well they diagnose and treat patients, not just how much they care about the patient(s).
What if Kid A was fascinated in the subject before acquiring knowledge of wages?

And whats your opinion of Kid B?

Fair enough, kid A should apply for medicine and I'll let the admissions team assess whether they are to be accepted. Although, I refuse to believe anyone can be interested in medicine purely on fascination - the money and job stability are the main pulling factor. In society as soon as you hear somebody has a few A* at GCSE, there's about a 75% chance they're applying for medicine? Surely not every single one of them is fascinated by the subject, they just know where the money is. And before you come at me saying that kid A is genuinely interested etc. I'm not really bothered, I think medics should be the very cream of the crop, not the ones who interviewers judge to be polite, friendly etc. I want the doctors of the future to be able to diagnose and cure me, not to sweet talk me and tell me it's going to be ok :colondollar:
I don't think there's anything wrong with kid B in this situation, he can do what he likes as far as I'm concerned. If he gets into medicine or dentistry, so be it.

Also, after attending an open day in an Irish medical school, the professor there said there's nothing wrong with wanting to do medicine purely for the prestige. The problem lies with those who 'want to help people'. You can help people in whatever profession you do, not just medicine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Tiz a prestige thing :bhangra: Though not everyone would say dentistry is prestigious :ninja:
In Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi society having a doctor and/or an engineer in the family means a lot...
I want the best doctors, and whilst Asians may only do it because well they've been brought up thinking it's the 'greatest' job ever... they make amazing doctors.

And so.. ultimately when I go to a hospital.. I'd rather be cured by someone who gets an ego boost each time I call him a doctor rather than not cured by someone not as smart as him.
Reply 16
I imagine if Kid B actually manages to get through Medical School and passes, then he/she will have developed a deep passion for medicine during the process. Its hard to imagine a person can endure five years of hard work without being interested in what they're doing. :smile:

Having said that, I do agree with OP in the fact that parents should not pressurise their children and if an individual is not interested in science, then they should pursue a different route. Beats having to go through years of agony at Uni.
Reply 17
Possibly the dumbest thread starter I have come across. Say Kid A has a passion for medicine, as you identify, but is as dumb as nuts, what then? Should we let him become a doctor merely because he has a genuine passion for it? Employers do not only look for passion in a particular field, but the ability to get the job done. Allowing Kid A to become a doctor would result in greater deaths than allowing Kid B to become a doctor, who has the ability to carry out his job effectively.
(edited 12 years ago)
Asians make practical decisons. they just dont think, oh i really like art and im good at painting so thats what im gonna do. They take into account what they are going to earn, is it a safe job as in there isnt a fear that you mite be made unemployed any time. Will u be able to support a family and live life decently. And also is a cultural thing and parents keep that in mind. and PS dentistry is considered presitigious, ive got 8 dentists in my family.
Reply 19

Here you have Kid A, who takes genuine pride in serving their community. Ever since they could walk, Kid A was deeply intrigued by the inner workings of the body. They see the human anatomy as a grand vessel for knowledge and the idea of working with people firsthand, giving them advice, curing them and even performing surgery on them appeals to them very much so they do everything to achieve their goal.

I'm Asian, and I actually completely agree with what you are saying. On the one hand, you get some Asians (or anyone really) who are genuinely interested in medicine and love helping people and caring for others.
Then you get others (who most annoyingly a lot of the time have GREAT grades), applying to medicine... Even though they don't really want to do it and have never cared about anyone but themselves and never ever bother to help out in anything or volunteer(and when they do, it's only for UCAS and just to be nice) and do it purely for the prestige or coz their parents want them to. It really annoys me that so many decent people don't get in, when people like that do!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending