The Student Room Group

St Andrews vs. Durham vs. Warwick

OK guys, so here's the situation....

I'm going to be studying psychology in Sept 2012.

I have received offers from:

- St Andrews, 4 year course, MA in Psychology. £9000/year.
- Durham, 3 year course, St Johns College, BSc in Psychology. £9000/year.
- Warwick, 3 year course, BSc in Psychology. £9000/year.

I applied to Oxford too, and was unsuccessful. I also applied to UCL and was told I was unsuccessful with the psychology application, however they were happy to consider me for the BSc in Psychology & Language Sciences (Questionnaire has been sent off, am awaiting to hear from them). I am undecided as to whether I will consider UCL if I get an offer because my heart is with psychology; I don't know if I'd enjoy language sciences too (but does the prestige of UCL outweigh this?!).

Now, I have not visited any of the unis yet. I will be doing so in the next few months. However, in your personal opinion, where would you go, and why? Is one more favourable than the other for psychology? Does the extra year of fees for St Andrews deter any of you? In terms of employment prospects/further education, which is better?

I had my heart set on St Andrews for a long time, but I'm confused now. Please let me know all your thoughts regarding this!!

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Anything from anyone?!
Just checking, can you check if you could leave St. Andrews after 3 years with a Bsc? That's the case with subjects like Maths and the natural sciences.
Reply 3
Original post by Killer Bean
Just checking, can you check if you could leave St. Andrews after 3 years with a Bsc? That's the case with subjects like Maths and the natural sciences.

Not that I'm aware of, no :frown:
Original post by 007dunlop
Not that I'm aware of, no :frown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Arts_(Scotland)

Second paragraph. Does that help at all? :smile:

EDIT: Just read all of it and WTF. I would phone them up just to make sure. But even if it's a non-negotiable four years, I still think it would be worth going for, especially for a university you have your "heart set on".
(edited 12 years ago)
I wouldn't let the extra year's worth of fees deter you from St Andrews; it won't really make much difference to what you pay back :smile:
Reply 6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Arts_(Scotland)

Second paragraph. Does that help at all? :smile:

The link isn't allowing me to view the wiki page! Would you be so kind as to paste the paragraph here!?

Original post by 007dunlop
The link isn't allowing me to view the wiki page! Would you be so kind as to paste the paragraph here!?

The coding for the link screwed up for some reason. I've fixed it.
Reply 8
The coding for the link screwed up for some reason. I've fixed it.

Thanks. Read your edit as well. Will have to visit St A's to be sure, and will ask them then :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks for your replies, am leaning a lot more toward St Andrews now...
Reply 10
just in case you're wondering: a four year scottish 'MA' degree is not equivalent to an english masters. I don't know if you knew that, but you might want to take it into consideration :P
Reply 11
In reality I would say they are the same though. In Scandinavia when you start studying it means you study towards a masters degree. I.e. you will do 3 years for your bachelors and then another for your masters. You can call it MA or MSc ...but still the same. In my opinion it's like BA and BSc. They are both the exact same thing.
There are some differences of course and not saying the Scottish degree exact same as English but I would say in the actual job market afterwards they count the same.
All the schools you mentioned above though are good schools.
Reply 12
It's just I don't really fancy paying an extra £9000 a year for what is essentially the same degree :/

Quick Reply

Latest