The Student Room Group

Queens Vs Ulster.

Facebook is being swamped with University Memes at the minute.
There are quite a lot taking the piss out of Jordanstown.

I'm just wondering why that is. Do any of you go to UUJ? Isn't it good...? I'm hoping to go there this year...
Reply 1
I believe it is in relation to Queens status as a red brick uni. Being older than the modern UU, it is usually harder to get into, but I think its down to what is offered and what your situation is. Another example is Oxbridge, two very old universities and incredibly hard to get into.

I personally picked Queens because I prefer it to UU but my main reason is that QUB offer courses I want to do closer to home where UU only offers those types of course up in Coleraine which I am not willing to travel to therefore I picked Queens.

But this is just my opinion on the matter, it really is down to people's personal feelings toward which Uni they go to (:
Jordanstown bashing is just an old tradition at Queens. :tongue:

Most universities have another university that they are rivals with, where one is considered better/lesser than the other, even if it's not exactly true. Queens is usually considered the better of the two (higher in the league tables, Russell Group, slightly posher, looks better on a CV). Ultimately there's nothing really to it, I'm sure the teaching quality is just as good at both, and you'll end up with the same degree. If Ulster has a course you want, then go for it.

It's all just light hearted fun :wink: I should know, I'm responsible for a few of those Jordanstown memes. The only people who are upset or angry about them are probably the only people who genuinely didn't get accepted into Queens and are bitter about it.

Reply 3
Original post by LaLaLucy

I'm just wondering why that is. Do any of you go to UUJ? Isn't it good...? I'm hoping to go there this year...

Queens is older.

Queens seems prestigious due to: where it is situated, the impressive main building, good Law and Medicine schools.

Really though, it comes down to the school and subject area. Some degrees are better (more useful knowledge and/or experience) in one university than another and vice-versa.

If you want to find out which school is better for the subject you're interested in, find out as much as you can about the academic staff and their publications.
Reply 4
Besides all the red brick stuff the only tangible differences really are Queen's has many more societies to join and also Queen's has the luxery of being in a cracking location for stuff to do.
Reply 5
Original post by LaLaLucy

UU has always been looked down on as the lesser of the two universities in Northern Ireland, with exception of a certain number of courses, such as Physiotherapy which has a strong reputation across the UK. There's nothing wrong with UU and it's a middle of the range kind of university overall, but so is Queens, outside of the odd department. It's just snobbery really.
Reply 6
I went to UUJ and loved it! :smile: Theres always been banter about the 2 Universities but sure you'd get that anywhere lol
Reply 7
I'm going to Jordanstown aswell! Not looking forward to thinking i'm the lesser student. Lol.
Reply 8
I was conferred a BSc with first class honours out of UUJ, and am now entering the second year of a PhD there as well. I deal with this elitist attitude from QUB students and wanna be students all the time. However, do these idiots not realise that all levels of degree from UK universities are standardised. Therefore, a first achieved from Jordanstown, will be marked using the same criteria as they use in Oxbridge, and that is maintained by the moderation of external examiners. Peoples ignorance to this really annoys me, because it belittles my efforts, true the pass rate may be higher at some universities than others; however, whatever classification you achieve, should not be mocked as inferior by anyone. Oh, and by the way, for this thread poster's benefit; from what I hear, once you peel back the layers of QUB's red brick exterior, the classrooms are filled to the rafters with students, making it impossible for any discussion if you havn't understood anything. Therefore, you either sink or swim. The staff at UUJ are much more grounded and willing to help students who havn't grasped a point. If QUB has a higher pass rate, that will be down to all of the brightest students that flock there, because they believe that queens is special (due to elitist propaganda) similarly to Oxbridge, and is not due to teaching deficits at Jordanstown. A degree at an achieved level is no better or worse, than any other one at the same level achieved from any other UK university, and if it was, the whole system would be corrupted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending