The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What an idiot...
Reply 41
Being honest I'd be more worried about what my parents reaction would be!!.I know that if it were one of my sons I would be very angry and disappointed with their behaviour.
Reply 42
this happened to me once except they didn't come and collect me in the morning they just gave me a time to go in and threatened to find me and charge me with something else if I didn't.

your going to have to tell your parents, its going to be horrible but your just going to have to suck it up and wait for the anger and disappointment to eventually pass.

also learn from this and don't do it again.

edit: also ignore people saying forget about uni and employment, for a start you won't even have to declare it on ucas you only have to declare "relevant" convictions and cautions which if I remember correctly is violent or sexual things, I can't remember exactly but it doesn't include shoplifting, it will also be wiped from your record in 5 years if you only get a caution which I imagine you will so another year until you go to uni three there thats only one year graduated and then its gone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by NightBear
Not everybody is as rich as you, sir :wink:

Not being rich does not justify theft of cosmetics, perhaps necessary items like food or water if you have no other recourse.
Sucks to be you
Original post by Bally2
Well, you can kiss going to University and ever having a decent job goodbye.

Original post by number1student
Yep I totally agree-for the rest of your life, you will have to declare that on your CRB form. Also, in this current climate- you will find it incredibly hard to find a job. People without any criminal record- are not getting jobs. So there is no chance- if you have one. Sorry to scare you, but that is how it is...

Bull****.

Yes, if you want to work with kids/in a clinical environment/in a medical sector you may find it harder or near impossible to get on to a course... But for most courses, they won't care. My BF has a criminal record (caution) for something he did when he was 18 and it's not stopped him getting a job or a university place. All it's stopped is him working with vulnerable people - which he didn't want to do anyway - and because of the nature of his arrest, working in law enforcement or as a member of door staff.
Reply 46
I'm loving this sudden change in opinions on TSR. One minute its "crimminals should all be lcoked up for a very long time" and the next they're defending a shoplifter.
Original post by Serano
Not being rich does not justify theft of cosmetics, perhaps necessary items like food or water if you have no other recourse.

I wasn't being serious.
Reply 48
amateur.....:wink:
Buy guns. Lots of guns.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Another victory for law and order!
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Bull****.

Yes, if you want to work with kids/in a clinical environment/in a medical sector you may find it harder or near impossible to get on to a course... But for most courses, they won't care. My BF has a criminal record (caution) for something he did when he was 18 and it's not stopped him getting a job or a university place. All it's stopped is him working with vulnerable people - which he didn't want to do anyway - and because of the nature of his arrest, working in law enforcement or as a member of door staff.

But put it this way- lots of people are fighting for jobs and are equally qualified. Would a employer prefer to employ someone with a clean record or one with a caution on it? In this economic climate- employers are deciding between hundreds of people. A quick way of ruling people out- is looking at their criminal record. By the way- you will have to declare it on your CRB if you want a job- regardless of how long ago you did it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by aliphatic
This happened to me, although not exactly the same so I can't help you with whether you'll be in restraints in the van. In my case the police took me to the town police station straight away and asked for my mother's number, and they said I could come in a few days later to the main station and go through the process but my mum was so angry she demanded it was done straight away. That was an awkward car journey.

When I got there (from what I can remember, this was a few years ago now!) I was basically fingerprinted, interviewed by the police officer who arrested me, and then brougt up in front of the desk sergeant who basically had a massive go at me and gave me the right what-for haha. I definitely wasn't put in a cell, I was just taken into an interview room and it was recorded.

How old are you? That might affect how you're treated. I was 16 at the time and I think he said it would disappear when I was 18 or in 5 years, whichever was longer, so that was 5 years time for me. It does still show up on enhanced CRBs though I do believe. It also depends on whether Boots want to prosecute you, I was lucky because I was caught with in excess of £200 worth of stuff and the HMV store manager did not want to take it further.

My mum also made me go and personally apologise straight after I'd been interviewed. I was also put forward to some sort of liason officer but it wasn't compulsory.

EDIT: Loving how I'm getting negs for a stupid irresponsible mistake that none of you know the back-story to, when I've already completely taken the consequences for it (and alot more in besides) but don't have the balls to actually talk to me!

Fine, i'll have the 'guts to talk to you'. Don't really care about the back story - you're a thief, end of.
Reply 53
My friends did that in debenhams when they were 15 , but they got off with a caution.
Original post by Besakt
Vivid imagination.

I have had a really **** day , first thing to make me laugh all day haha.. just imagining if it was a real life conversation..
Original post by Bill_Gates
Great stuff. The system works.

Boots have a 2 for 3 offer how cheap are you?!

You mean 3 for 2

Oh and has anyone told u ur not funny ?
To be honest you deserve it, if you can afford it pay for it if not... tough luck! You need to deal with the consequences.
Original post by JongKey
Fine, i'll have the 'guts to talk to you'. Don't really care about the back story - you're a thief, end of.

Ur a nob... end of.
Reply 58
Original post by dellprinter
Ur a nob... end of.

A nob for calling someone a thief because that's what they are? Or what they were, i guess.
Original post by JongKey
A nob for calling someone a thief because that's what they are? Or what they were, i guess.

Yes and also ur usrename is stupid

I presume ur gonna come back with a smart ass respone

Latest

Trending

Trending