The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by youbonkers
I just have an automatic vendetta against Boots :smile:

Everyone does make mistakes, so why does everyone suddenly go ape-shape once it crosses the criminal borderline?

There are much ****tier things to do than shoplifting, which aren't criminal, such as bullying - things which are much more harmful to other people than stealing from boots.

Boots is probably THE most robbed from shop or company in the UK and Ireland. How many times have you heard the following? 'Oh yeah when I was younger we were all robbing lipglosses from Boots...'. I know people who work there, it is a major problem.

Stealing is harmful to the company, that is why the company goes mental. Especially a company that gets fleeced ALL THE TIME. If they took a more lenient attitude, they would be operating at a loss. Of course they have to be really stern about it, they have to dissaude you and anyone who heard about your experience from trying it again. The police take it seriously because it happens to be breaking the law. Your parents take it seriously because you're committing a crime, a pathetic one at that.

Companies have to incorporate shoplifting into their prices. The company I work for gets a lot of people robbing from it- people think cheap places don't get targeted as much, when in fact they are the main targets. Primark is another. You rarely and I mean seriously rarely get anyone shoplifting things because they are quite literally too poor to afford food and clothes. It is always always teenagers, junkies or travellers/Roma (I am not actually discriminating against that last group, but that is the facts in my store). The majority are robbing for a thrill or out of spite.

I get your point that you didn't actually shoplift. Unfortunately for you the statistics were against you- girls your age rob in groups. Even if you weren't guilty on that occasion, they would still have taken the attitude that you needed to be taught a lesson also. Harsh but I can see where they're coming from.
Reply 81
Original post by Infallible
Kleptomaniac or what?

Guess again :redface:
Reply 82
Original post by aliphatic
Guess again :redface:

Seeking an adrenaline boost?
Reply 83
Seeking an adrenaline boost?

Haha nope, not that either sorry!
Reply 84
Lockpick your way out.
Reply 85
Original post by katerawlinson

Original post by aliphatic

These members who have done stupid things are doing us all a favour by telling their stories here. They don't deserve to be "negged" for doing that. :confused:

Owning up in public to stuff like this takes a fair bit of courage. Think of all the grotbags who'd just chalk it up and carry on regardless.

While their actions have shown poor character doing this goes some way to making up for it and serves as a useful warning to others.

I also note they have both been punished according to the law so cut them a break hey!
Reply 86
Original post by kaylafrances
People on this forum are dickheads. You made a mistake, hopefully you've learned your lesson.

Thumbs up to you my friend - but no thumbs left.
Reply 87
Boots are actually really suffering from theft. I know that the store near me lost £10,000 last month because of it.

wow poor boots, that poor poor multi million pound company -_-
Reply 88
In regards to whether private security staff have the authority to detain you or not. They can perform a citizen's arrest like all of can for any 'indictable' offence. I guess theft is an indictable offence but in these circumstances it will more than likely dealt with by other means.

As long as they have reasonable suspicion that you have committed an indictable offence, they can use reasonable force (private security professionals can use handcuffs) to detain you while they wait for the police to come. Whilst being detained, you are under their duty of care.

Most people will just comply with a private security guard's requests without realising their rights.

I could name countless ways to undermine a security guard's authority but I believe it's an important profession that needs protecting, even strengthening.
Reply 89
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I don't want to grow up. :smile: That's a common thing on this site, anyone even remotely left wing should 'grow up'....Well, your prophecy is not going to happen because people like you shall still remain things in order. Tell then, I'll take advantage of any opportunity I see to avoid paying for ****. Which is actually very rare, most of the time it's easier to pay. The London Riots! Oh my! Filthy Chav scum! Firstly, like I already said, that's not going to happen because most people don't. This 'utopia' doesn't exist you're right, so I'll take advantage of it. I don't have to worry about a lack of order. Secondly, if I am at an independent store, I'll pay. You can't say you don't resent giving money to Tesco. And then, I'm an idealistic person, I don't care If I have my head in the clouds. To be frank when I see people on here moaning about how taxes which provided financial aid to poor people, that such taxes is an abomination, it makes me feel sad for this generation.

Which I think, reflects in the music of today. The slacker generation (90s) you had Nirvana, now you have Two Door Cinema Club. :lolwut: I rest my case.

In light of this opinion, a genuine question to the OP - why didn't you go to an independent cosmetics store and purchase the items you desired there?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lauren_a
A genuine question - why didn't you go to an independent cosmetics store and purchase the items you desired there?

I think I shouldn't make such flippant comments on TSR. What I say isn't my life philosophy in action, just a thought. I'm not one for saying what I think but I do write what I think (without analysing whether my thoughts are logical or not). What I say isn't overly considered. But hey this site is for debating. :biggrin: I don't even steal much at all, I'm too anxious a person. In my earlier post I didn't say 'I don't pay because..' I provided some guy with an answer for why it's not that unreasonable to want to steal, in this consumer dangle-carrot in front of face society.

Oh I see your edit! Nevermind, what I said sill remains. :tongue:

Original post by Jon of the North
Is this for real? No one enjoys spending money, but what the hell else do you suggest? What your advocating would result in anarchism, then just take a look at some of the London riots footage to see what your weekly shop would be like. Get a grip, we live in a world where we receive commodities for their exchange value, and nothing short of some kind of universal utopia is going to change that. Grow up.

No, this isn't real. It's magic.

:rolleyes:

No, I shan't grow up. Maybe you should loosen up? Penantic old man. This universal utopia does not exist. Therefore why not take advantage that most people do what they're told. And oh my! The London riots! Filthy chavs! Scum! Not. They're a result of this world we live in. So just carry on doing what we do. Do you see the future? Capitalism has already run it's life, it was great when we first started and radios and cars and lipsticks were awesome. But eveyone knows it can't go it. Anyway, before biting at me take a look at what I said above please.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by Herr
You've got a ****load of other stuff to worry about on whether you'll be in handcuffs or not.

Ikr.

Im still deciding whether to believe OP or not, she seems way too calm
Ok, I know we shouldn't of done it but.... It happened.

Today me and one of my friends got caught shoplifting in boots. We were taken into a security room by the security guard.

We offered to pay for the stuff (about £20) he wasn't having any of it... He got the manager to come and she said we would be banned from the store, fair enough, but also said they were going to call the police and have us arrested....

After about 30 minuets, the police arrived. We were both handcuffed, (as the door was open).

The police went off and had a chat with the manager, after about another 10 minuets, the came back and said that they were going to do 'street bail'.

This basically means that we have 'technically' been arrested for theft, and the police will come and take us into custody at a pre arranged time from our homes...

We asked if we could not be taken in now, the police were on foot patrol and no vans available....

Im dreading telling my parents that, the police are going to come to the house and collect me tomorrow @ 10am...

I asked them if I have to go in a police car, and he said no. And replied you'll have to go in a van... Do you think the'll put me in a restraint handcuffs tomorrow? Will I have to be put in a cell or do you think the'll just interview me and deal with it...

My friend is getting picked up tomorrow at 10:30, so I presume the'll pick me up and then her...

Argh!

It could just be a scare tactic. They MAY not come to your house tomorrow. They might just be telling you that, to scare you into telling your parents. DO NOT tell your parents yet. Wait for them to come first (if they are coming) Then calmly say, "oh, BTW, I was caught shoplifting yesterday. A spur of the moment thing. I'll never do it again."

If this is your first offense you should only get a caution, which will not go on your permanent record, thus not affect future job prospects or university applications.

Good luck OP, you have my sympathy.
Reply 93
1. They will come to your house.
2. You will be arrested and taken to Police Station. (They may or may not handcuff you, it depends really - it's up to them).
3. They will look over the CCTV and interview/process you.
4. It will either be a warning, fine or you will have to go to court.

Considering the relatively low value of the products you stole and your age and that this is your first offence expect to be treated fairly lightly. Treat this as a lesson and never do it again.

Something like this will probably not affect your life in general for the long term.

In regards to lawyers and representation: if you do go to court you will be offered one. They will explain what goes on from there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha biatch!
Reply 95

Ok, I know we shouldn't of done it but.... It happened.

Today me and one of my friends got caught shoplifting in boots. We were taken into a security room by the security guard.

We offered to pay for the stuff (about £20) he wasn't having any of it... He got the manager to come and she said we would be banned from the store, fair enough, but also said they were going to call the police and have us arrested....

After about 30 minuets, the police arrived. We were both handcuffed, (as the door was open).

The police went off and had a chat with the manager, after about another 10 minuets, the came back and said that they were going to do 'street bail'.

This basically means that we have 'technically' been arrested for theft, and the police will come and take us into custody at a pre arranged time from our homes...

We asked if we could not be taken in now, the police were on foot patrol and no vans available....

Im dreading telling my parents that, the police are going to come to the house and collect me tomorrow @ 10am...

I asked them if I have to go in a police car, and he said no. And replied you'll have to go in a van... Do you think the'll put me in a restraint handcuffs tomorrow? Will I have to be put in a cell or do you think the'll just interview me and deal with it...

My friend is getting picked up tomorrow at 10:30, so I presume the'll pick me up and then her...

Argh!

Okay, don't panic. This happens to lots of young people. You've been daft but it isn't the end of the world.

They will come to your house

They will ask you to either accompany them to the station if they have transport or make an arrangement for a time and date when you should attend at the station

You will need an adult to go with you to the station in either case

They will not handcuff you this time (unless you tried assaulting them or running which I'm assuming you aren't planning to do)

At the station you will have your fingerprints and DNA taken. These will remain on their database forever. Then you will be formally cautioned. This will take place in an ordinary room. You will not be put in a cell. You may have to wait in a corridor or somewhere for your turn. There will be a fine to pay of £80 (I think thats the amount but it may have changed) I think that you have a certain amount of time to pay it in. You may have to sign an agreement not to go into that shop for up to two years. The police officer will not be pleasant. He will tell you how serious it all is and how you have let your parents down etc. It can be upsetting. It won't go on for long though.

That's it... its over. So long as this is a first offence you will not go to court.

However, the caution remains on your record until you are twenty one. After that it does not have to be declared at all and is automatically removed. A caution can affect things like getting certain visas for the USA. It will not have to be declared for jobs or university etc

Your name and the details of the caution will be sent to the youth referall scheme in your town. As this is a first offence and you are hardly bank robbers you are very, very unlikely to hear anything from them. They are snowed under with more serious stuff.

The main difficulty is your parents. They will find out and you need to decide if you are going to break the news before the police arrive tomorrow.

Forgot to say.. should you get caught doing anything illegal before the caution expires then its automatically a court case. You can only have one of this type of caution.

Good luck
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xanth
2. You will be arrested and taken to Police Station. (They may or may not handcuff you, it depends really - it's up to them).

Considering the relatively low value of the products you stole and your age and that this is your first offence expect to be treated fairly lightly. Treat this as a lesson and never do it again.

Something like this will probably not affect your life in general for the long term.

In regards to lawyers and representation: if you do go to court you will be offered one. They will explain what goes on from there.

And can you tell us how you KNOW all of this to be 100% accurate, since you state it with such finality?
Reply 97
Original post by 3ka_xo
wow poor boots, that poor poor multi million pound company -_-

That poor multi-million pound company has to pay salaries and insurance to staff etc. I do not know Boots since I'm not British, but how the heck do people come to the conclusion that it is righteous to steal from someone just because he/she/it is rich?!

My father's company loses several tens of thousands every year due to shoplifting. He works 60 hours a week, pays his staff above average salaries and re-invests most of the profit into the company, so the profit is not maximized to satisfy rich, greedy investors. Now tell me it is justified to steal from shops just because they are so rich! :angry:
Reply 98
Original post by Xanth

Original post by Xanth

It won't be court... not for a first time £20 shoplifting offence. If they sent all the one off shoplifters to court it'd all grind to a standstill!
Reply 99
Original post by Sir Fox

Original post by Sir Fox
That poor multi-million pound company has to pay salaries and insurance to staff etc. I do not know Boots since I'm not British, but how the heck do people come to the conclusion that it is righteous to steal from someone just because he/she/it is rich?!

My father's company loses several tens of thousands every year due to shoplifting. He works 60 hours a week, pays his staff above average salaries and re-invests most of the profit into the company, so the profit is not maximized to satisfy rich, greedy investors. Now tell me it is justified to steal from shops just because they are so rich! :angry:

No its not justified but research does show that people are much less likely to steal from a family run business than a conglomerate. This is precisely because the conglomerate is impersonal. If people can identify a real person that they are stealing from then they are less likely to do it. It might work for your father to think about having his company heavily identified as a 'family business'... pictures of himself or messages from himself and a history of how the company was built up on leaflets in-store can also work... basically anything that helps people who enter the store identify it as a personalised business. People also have a greater loyalty rate to personalised business and will be better return customers. (Depends on what you sell of course)

Just a thought... he might be doing all this anyway and you can't stop all theft... :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending