The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Law at Dundee

I've been accepted into Dundee to do a Law course yay!

As a Londoner, and a student, I couldn't make the commute to see the university on the Open Day, does anyone know what the course/campus/city is like before I make my final choice? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I have been accepted to study Scots Law LLB. Do you get any free days? I hope to keep my job and work on the days I don't have lectures, so I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me so I can let my boss know.

Thanks.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
I just got accepted for law at dundee too...the city often doesnt have a great reputation but i went to the open day in august and it actually seems like a really nice place to live/study, the campus is all in one place so everything is handy and i know i few people on the course already who are all happy with it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ellebright
I've been accepted into Dundee to do a Law course yay!

As a Londoner, and a student, I couldn't make the commute to see the university on the Open Day, does anyone know what the course/campus/city is like before I make my final choice? Thanks :smile:

the course is really good! so is the student accomodation. But, the city, in my opinion is abit of a dump but it has the best student union so i reckon it is a great place to live if your a student! I also applied to Law but havent heard from Dundee yet; not planning on going there though but i did thorougly consider it but after the open day, realised it wasn't for me :smile:
Ape Gone Insane

Vitamin D

Quoted a few people I know at Dundee to help them notice the thread for you.
Reply 5
I'm at Dundee so I'll offer my two cents. The University itself is situated in a really nice part of the city, right between the city centre and the west end. Most students stay in this area and so there's a real student-y atmosphere, lots of friendly people in the same place. City centre itself is pretty nice, it's pretty dominated by the Overgate (shopping centre) but it's convenient to have because you have most shops you need in one place and it's literally 5 minutes walk away from halls. As a Londoner you might feel like Dundee is small, but I'm from a small town so it's just the right size for me. Don't personally know anyone doing Law, but I know the uni has a good reputation for it and the Scrymgeour (don't ask me how to pronounce it) building where the Law dept. is based seems really nice. To be honest most of the uni buildings are quite nice (with the exception of the Tower and the MSI) and modern, it makes it feel like a place which is really up-and-coming. The stories you hear about the city being a 'dump' are grounded in some truth, every city has it's bad parts, but to be honest as a student you don't have much reason to venture into these areas. I know that I haven't in the time I've been here. One bit of advice I can offer you is don't look around on Google streetview because it's really out of date and makes the place look horrible (I know because I came to Dundee without visiting it first and was curious as to what it actually looked like), I think most people are pleasantly surprised when they actually visit Dundee and see that it is weirdly, quite a nice place.
Reply 6
I live in Dundee and it has a low crime rate compared to the rest of scotland. The main Campus is also really modern and had a huge makeover. I got an offer to do the dual qualifying degree, which is my first choice. The Scrymgeour is really grand looking and it has one of the best law libraries in Scotland. I love the city and wouldn't consider going anywhere else!
Reply 7
I'm in dundee university and started this year, I don't do law but have a bunch of friends who do and they love it. I personally love the city - but if you live in the halls you are pretty much in a university bubble in my opinion, but it's great! It's not too big or too small, everyones really social theres loads of clubs, its very compact and theres always great nights at the union. I absolutely love it :smile:
Original post by zpanchy101
I live in Dundee and it has a low crime rate compared to the rest of scotland. The main Campus is also really modern and had a huge makeover. I got an offer to do the dual qualifying degree, which is my first choice. The Scrymgeour is really grand looking and it has one of the best law libraries in Scotland. I love the city and wouldn't consider going anywhere else!

I'm at the law school and they are going to be relocating the law library in the future into the main library. It will probably happen when you are a 2nd year.
Reply 9
If you have got an offer from the university they'll email you regarding an applicant visit day for the Law School which is taking place on the 9th and 24nd March and 18th April.
Reply 10
Thanks for the insight, guys, it'll be useful if I am to get an offer :smile: !
Reply 11
Hey everyone! Thread starter here - just to let you all know that I've accepted it as my insurance choice upon all of your help, so thank you! I'll be visiting on an Applicant Open Day (as soon as I scrounge the money to get up there)

Just so you know, you guys are probably the most helpful people I've met thus far on here, and it most certainly has not been overlooked. Thank you so much, and best of luck to you all!

Elle
Reply 12
Tell us about it when you go : ) !
Reply 13
Original post by ellebright
Hey everyone! Thread starter here - just to let you all know that I've accepted it as my insurance choice upon all of your help, so thank you! I'll be visiting on an Applicant Open Day (as soon as I scrounge the money to get up there)

Just so you know, you guys are probably the most helpful people I've met thus far on here, and it most certainly has not been overlooked. Thank you so much, and best of luck to you all!

Elle

out of interest, what did you put as your firm ? :smile:
Reply 14
Hi everyone! I'm going there for LLM in International and Commercial. Is anyone going to the same course as me? :smile:)
Reply 15
Original post by kirsti
out of interest, what did you put as your firm ? :smile:

Newcastle! Either way, I'm going up north :wink:
Reply 16
I've put Dundee as my firm choice! I already meet the conditions otherwise but I have to do the English language test :smile: I'm going to study Scots/English Law, the dual qualifying degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending