the question is the title.
raheem94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by askquestions)
the question is the title.
Your question is ambiguous. Do you want to know the conditions required to get an A* or how much should we study?
ChrisA7x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get over 480/600 UMS overall and over 180 UMS on c3 and c4 combined
raheem94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChrisA7x)
Get over 480/600 UMS overall and over 180 UMS on c3 and c4 combined
The OP is talking about A-level further maths not A-level maths. The condition you gave is for A-level maths.

NB: C3 and C4 aren't further maths units.

To obtain an A* in edexcel further maths the following two requirements need to be met:
1) Score atleast 480/600 in further maths.
2) Score atleast 270/300 in your best three A2 units.
ChrisA7x
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by raheem94)
The OP is talking about A-level further maths not A-level maths. The condition you gave is for A-level maths.

To obtain an A* in edexcel further maths the following two requirements need to be met:
Oh.. im pretty sure the title said just edexcel maths when I read it
askquestions
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by raheem94)

Whay about mechanics and statistics. How many units are required and what UMS.
Ryan-Hetherington
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
6 units is still required (2 AS, 4A2 is generally what people do). At my school we do D1, D2, FP1, FP2, S2 and S3. FP1, FP2, S2 and S3 are classed as A2 units. 270/300 is needed in 3 out of those 4 units.
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ryan-Hetherington)
6 units is still required (2 AS, 4A2 is generally what people do). At my school we do D1, D2, FP1, FP2, S2 and S3. FP1, FP2, S2 and S3 are classed as A2 units. 270/300 is needed in 3 out of those 4 units.
I'm pretty sure FP1 isn't an A2 unit. Your 4 A2 units are D2, S2, S3 and FP2.
Ryan-Hetherington
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hassi94)
I'm pretty sure FP1 isn't an A2 unit. Your 4 A2 units are D2, S2, S3 and FP2.
I know it's One of them, but I wasn't sure.
jay-s-15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do they combine the best results in your A level maths and further maths grade or do they just put your best grades towards maths and the rest towards your further maths grade.

For example they give you an A* for maths and B for further-maths.. Instead they could combine your module grades and give you an A* in maths and A in further-maths... Which one would they do?
GreatConman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Clearly nobody here is an expert. FP2 or 3 and FP1 are required, not just your best ones, but as to whether FP2 has to be an A2 one or can be put in AS I don't know
ermadel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For Further Maths I'm doing FP1, FP2, FP3 + worst 3 out of M1, M2, S1, S2 D1

Will I need to achieve A*s in FP2 AND FP3 to get an A* overall?
chrisputter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Right, in the Maths A level, you must do C1, C2, C3, C4 and two other units (Mechanics, Statistics, Decision), in order to get an A* in Maths A level, you must have an A in the AS units and an A* in the A2 units. So an A in C1 and C2 and other AS units, and an A* in C3 and C4. If you do more than 6 units, they will select C1, C2, C3, C4 and the next two best units, the rest will go towards Further Maths.

To get an A* in Further Maths, again you have to get an A in the AS units and an A* in the A2 units. Therefore, you'd have to get an A in FP1 and any other AS units you are doing, then an A* in FP2, FP3 and any other A2 units.

For example, in my maths A level, I'm doing C1, C2, C3, C4, then the next two best out of D1, D2, S1, S2, M1 or M2.
Then for my Further Maths A-level I'm doing FP1, FP2 (FP3 as an extra back-up unit) as well as the other 4 application units.

So to get an A* in Further Maths I need an A in FP1, either D1 (A), D2 (A*), S1(A), S2(A*), M1(A), M2(A*) and then an A* in either FP2 or FP3

Hope this helps
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chrisputter)
Right, in the Maths A level, you must do C1, C2, C3, C4 and two other units (Mechanics, Statistics, Decision), in order to get an A* in Maths A level, you must have an A in the AS units and an A* in the A2 units. So an A in C1 and C2 and other AS units, and an A* in C3 and C4. If you do more than 6 units, they will select C1, C2, C3, C4 and the next two best units, the rest will go towards Further Maths.

To get an A* in Further Maths, again you have to get an A in the AS units and an A* in the A2 units. Therefore, you'd have to get an A in FP1 and any other AS units you are doing, then an A* in FP2, FP3 and any other A2 units.

For example, in my maths A level, I'm doing C1, C2, C3, C4, then the next two best out of D1, D2, S1, S2, M1 or M2.
Then for my Further Maths A-level I'm doing FP1, FP2 (FP3 as an extra back-up unit) as well as the other 4 application units.

So to get an A* in Further Maths I need an A in FP1, either D1 (A), D2 (A*), S1(A), S2(A*), M1(A), M2(A*) and then an A* in either FP2 or FP3

Hope this helps
It's a good thing that this thread is 5 months old, since your information is not entirely accurate.

From Edexcel:

"Mathematics Rules

Since some Mathematics combinations have three A2 units and some have two A2 units, the A* will be awarded to GCE Mathematics students who have achieved a grade A overall (480 UMS or more) and 180 UMS or more on the total of their C3 and C4 units.

For Further Mathematics, A* will be awarded to students who have achieved a grade A overall (480 UMS or more) and 270 UMS or more on their best three A2 units (whether pure or applications units).

For Further Mathematics (Additional), A* will be awarded to students who have achieved a grade A overall (480 UMS or more) and 270 UMS or more on their best three A2 units (whether pure or applications units).

Examples:

Mathematics:
C1 = 90, C2 = 79, C3 = 95, C4 = 94, M1 = 87, M2 = 89 Total = 534 UMS grade A* awarded
C1 = 79, C2 = 78, C3 = 94, C4 = 86, M1 = 77, S1 = 74 Total = 488 UMS grade A* awarded
C1 = 95, C2 = 98, C3 = 92, C4 = 87, D1 = 87, D2 = 89 Total = 548 UMS grade A awarded
C1 = 90, C2 = 92, C3 = 91, C4 = 92, M1 = 57, D1 = 58 Total = 479 UMS grade B awarded

Further Mathematics:
FP1 = 93, FP2 = 91, S1 = 95, S2 = 91, D1 = 30, D2 = 89 Total 489 UMS grade A* awarded
FP1 = 80, FP2 = 86, M2 = 94, M3 = 85, M4 = 88, M5 = 89 Total 512 UMS grade A* awarded
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So why do they give you a mark (from u to a* ) for every single a2 unit?Is there any point on that?For instance, a candidate who has A*,A,A in his best a2 unit(for FM) and has UMS>=270 (this can happen with the grades above) and also have UMS>=480, will he be awarded an A*?I think from what you said he would take A*, despite taking A,A in the other two best a2 units or even a B,C or D maybe in As or non-best a2 unit . Is that right?
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vesniep)
So why do they give you a mark (from u to a* ) for every single a2 unit?Is there any point on that?For instance, a candidate who has A*,A,A in his best a2 unit(for FM) and has UMS>=270 (this can happen with the grades above) and also have UMS>=480, will he be awarded an A*?I think from what you said he would take A*, despite taking A,A in the other two best a2 units or even a B,C or D maybe in As or non-best a2 unit . Is that right?
Yes. I can't see the point in calling a unit grade A*, although it is useful to say what raw mark resulted in 90 UMS.
anorris13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took S2 last year and am taking FP2, FP3 and M2 this year in further maths. Can i get an A* by averaging above 90 UMS on M2, S2 and FP2, or is it only the modules you take in the second year?
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anorris13)
I took S2 last year and am taking FP2, FP3 and M2 this year in further maths. Can i get an A* by averaging above 90 UMS on M2, S2 and FP2, or is it only the modules you take in the second year?
Any 3 A2 modules (well not c3 c4 obviously) are fine regardless of when they're taken, provided you get 80% overall of course
reckless_llama
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anybody (is it on the Edexcel website) know which units are A2/can be classed as A2?
Jimmy_M
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by reckless_llama)
Does anybody (is it on the Edexcel website) know which units are A2/can be classed as A2?
I've always checked from grade boundaries.. They always have a section for A2 units and AS separately.

On another note, someone please answer this?

(Original post by jay-s-15)
Do they combine the best results in your A level maths and further maths grade or do they just put your best grades towards maths and the rest towards your further maths grade.

For example they give you an A* for maths and B for further-maths.. Instead they could combine your module grades and give you an A* in maths and A in further-maths... Which one would they do?
I technically have the grades to get A* A*, but it would require edexcel putting M1 and S1 to standard maths (which are my 2 lowest I believe) and then the rest to FM. Would this happen or would they put my highest two to standard and then just leave FM with the rest, resulting in A* A?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby