Turn on thread page Beta

Kurt Cobain's 37th birthday today - he was my idol and the music changed my life!!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    YEAH BABY - almost 10 years since the poor sod took his own life but all we NIRVANA fans still love his riffs and the albums he bestowed upon rock music! Nirvana undisputedly the greatest band of our generation especially considering the hugely disproportionate impact they made considering the short space of time - only 5 years and they are legends and would be legends even now even if Kurt had not killed himself = they would have got better and better without doubt!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana fans and lovers of grunge in general - come one come all!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    YEAH BABY - almost 10 years since the poor sod took his own life but all we NIRVANA fans still love his riffs and the albums he bestowed upon rock music! Nirvana undisputedly the greatest band of our generation especially considering the hugely disproportionate impact they made considering the short space of time - only 5 years and they are legends and would be legends even now even if Kurt had not killed himself = they would have got better and better without doubt!!!!!!!!!!
    They were very good... personally, my favourites:
    Lithium,
    Heart-shaped box,
    smells like teen spirit
    come as you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt the cat)
    Lithium,
    Heart-shaped box,
    smells like teen spirit
    come as you are
    great choice of songs - those were the best - although to hardcore fans they might not be the best - however good choice - i loved 'About a girl' and 'negative creep' from the first album 'Bleach'

ReputationRep:
    Obviously no other band from the 90s made quite the impact Nirvana did but i would like to honour their work here as well

Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Temple of the Dog
    RCHP
    RATM
    Metallica
    Foo Fighters
    QOTSA

hmm ... who else ?

ReputationRep:
    I agree they made a huge amount of impact in the short lifetime of the band, but I very much doubt they would have gotten better and better, - Kurt was so self-destructive that had he not committed suicide, he would have ruined himself with heroin. He hated the fame anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i am not a hard core fan of any genre, just like the best pick of all the bunch really... not loyal at all when it comes to music... as i said, i just like the best songs... whoever sung them or wrote them

ReputationRep:
    He didn't take his own life. 'The *****' (AKA Courtney Love) killed him and made it look like suicide.

ReputationRep:
    who?????

ReputationRep:
    Lithium,
    Heart-shaped box,
    smells like teen spirit
    come as you are
    Hmmm... personal favourites...

Teen spirit (obv!), Negative Creep, Lounge Act, tourette.... too many more to mention.

ReputationRep:
    i am not a hard core fan of any genre, just like the best pick of all the bunch really... not loyal at all when it comes to music... as i said, i just like the best songs... whoever sung them or wrote them
    that's good - I agree with you - and to bitewing - Cobain was taking his music onto another level = rumours were that he was going to go beyond Nirvana and maybe become a solo artist etc. He was visionary = yes he hated the fame but only because it was supported by Jocks and Popular kids - he hated them because they represented all his hates and fears from childhood + he hated the American ideal which was very racist in his eyes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiffmaster)
    He didn't take his own life. 'The *****' (AKA Courtney Love) killed him and made it look like suicide.
    interesting theory - in fact i reckon she is directing her new song at Kurt Cobain - 'Mono' - listen to it = she was a jealous cow!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    who?????
    are you joking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiffmaster)
    I've read the conspiracy reports on that theory, they make interesting reading. Particularly 'Dead men don't pull triggers'. (or the one entitled something similar to that)

ReputationRep:
    that's good - I agree with you - and to bitewing - Cobain was taking his music onto another level = rumours were that he was going to go beyond Nirvana and maybe become a solo artist etc. He was visionary = yes he hated the fame but only because it was supported by Jocks and Popular kids - he hated them because they represented all his hates and fears from childhood + he hated the American ideal which was very racist in his eyes
    Become a solo artist? That would have been VERY interesting to see (well... hear).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    are you joking?
    she must be! who would not know what Nirvana is or who Cobain was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    I've read the conspiracy reports on that theory, they make interesting reading. Particularly 'Dead men don't pull triggers'. (or the one entitled something similar to that)
    That's the one.

http://www.justiceforkurt.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Become a solo artist? That would have been VERY interesting to see (well... hear).
    Yes indeed it would have been v. interesting - but i reckon his aggressive style especially in 'in utero' - #tourettes# spawned modern Emo - music i dont particularly like but respect none the less

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    are you joking?
    no

ReputationRep:
    I liked "In Bloom" - I found the way it was sung highly amusing.

p.s. That's not supposed to be a bad comment!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.