Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so who exactly is this guy?

ReputationRep:
    My favourite Nirvana songs are: Smells like Teen Spirit, Drain You, Come As You Are, Heart Shaped Box, You Know You're Right (bloody depressing, but then it was recorded 2 weeks before he commited suicide!) and All Apologies.

Personally, I prefer In Utero to Nevermind. What does everyone else think? And has anyone read the Kurt Cobain journals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    My favourite Nirvana songs are: Smells like Teen Spirit, Drain You, Come As You Are, Heart Shaped Box, You Know You're Right (bloody depressing, but then it was recorded 2 weeks before he commited suicide!) and All Apologies.

Personally, I prefer In Utero to Nevermind. What does everyone else think? And has anyone read the Kurt Cobain journals?
    i love in utero as well although i am even quite partial to 'Bleach' - i love 'all apologies' but then i love tourettes and radio friendly unit shifter and very ape = tracks 7,10 and 11 - negative creep and about a girl of bleach are ace - as is swap meet on the same album - i think waiting2smile has read the journals!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen the state of Courtney Love recently - shocking!

(and what about Paula Yates and INXS Kylie man that made me sad )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealNirvanaFan)
    Nirvana didn't belong to you generation wtf are you talking about? He belonged to my generation, you would have been 7 years old when Nevermind was released. And none of you truly feel Nirvana, you just jump on the bandwagon, I bet you only own the recent Greatest Hits album (the release of which would have made Kurt turn in his grave no doubt) and none of you have felt Kurts pain in your heart like me. I bet you don't even know what Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music stood for. You just think its probably cool to listen to, merely because you are a bunch of pretentious skater dicks or something. You don't even have the right to utter the mans name. It was people like you lot who helped to kill Kurt. So shut your ****ing mouths and go back to listening to your Blink-182, Limp Bizkit, Busted musical excrement. Your ears don't deserve, and have no right, to be graced with music like Nirvana. So **** off!
    u clearly have no idea - i have everything by them apart from the Hormoaning LP that was released only in Aus and Jap - dont talk crap please - i know as much about Nirvana as any committed nirvana fan - for instance u - i know as much about them - so dont get all high and mighty with me sunshine - i am no nark ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    he was a demi-god. bloody amazing. but he is way more famous now than he would have been if he was still alive.

oh and the soft/hard dynamic...he stole it off the pixies! :eek:
    yes ok - DEBASER is a class track by the way - i am seeing them in Hyde park with RCHP this summer - yYYYYESSSSSS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Sonic Youth. :cool:

Oh, and just to say my preferred Nirvana track: Come As You Are.
    Dirty - what a great album - what is ur fave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    u clearly have no idea - i have everything by them apart from the Hormoaning LP that was released only in Aus and Jap - dont talk crap please - i know as much about Nirvana as any committed nirvana fan - for instance u - i know as much about them - so dont get all high and mighty with me sunshine - i am no nark ok?
    He's a pretentious silly-billy. I equally despise current chart music but think I expressed that earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Has anyone seen the state of Courtney Love recently - shocking!

(and what about Paula Yates and INXS Kylie man that made me sad )
    well said earlier by the way!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, if Nirvana are as amazing as you obviosuly believe (I'm in partial agreement) then surely they should transcend generations and time? Secondly, I was six when Nevermind came out and I have admitted I like it for its style and not necessarily the meaning because the meaning didn't relate to ME. Thirdly, if we are as musically deprived as you suggest (I agree) then you should praise us for seeking out good music and abandoning the crap. And lastly, stop being so musically pretentious - Kurt Cobain didn't specify who could and couln't listen to his music, so why should you?
    i agree with everything u said until the last point - he did specify who he didnt want listening to his music - he didnt want racists and bigots who acted all macho about everything and mistreated women - MR Moustache which he wrote about his father is a testimony to this ideal which he despised

ReputationRep:
    He's a pretentious silly-billy. I equally despise current chart music but think I expressed that earlier.
    current chart music is rubbish - i love the 90s grunge era - but am partial to some aspects of the rock scene nowadays = like muse and radiohead

ReputationRep:
    i agree with everything u said until the last point - he did specify who he didnt want listening to his music - he didnt want racists and bigots who acted all macho about everything and mistreated women - MR Moustache which he wrote about his father is a testimony to this ideal which he despised
    ooo, didn;t know that. Although, I'm pretty sure OUR generation are pretty much over racism and bigotry (or at least the people I have encountered are)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Remember how shortly after Kurt died, everyone in the world suddenly bought Nevermind? My neighbour played Smells Like Teen Spirits loudly through thin walls SIX times in rapid succession I kid you not (not playing ANY of the other tracks on that album), having previously never played any at all. I wanted to throttle him at the time. I'm not trying to be all hip and claim I was 'into' them in a big way from the beginning or that I even know what the whole movement was about. I just liked their songs and was listening to them from fairly early on.

Anyway the moral of the story is that I think it took Kurt's suicide to bring his music to the great unwashed; prior to that I was firmly in the 'uncool' brigade at my school for liking their music - suddenly its hip!
    not sure about that entirely - they conquered the world with nevermind- it was already in the public conscience by the time of his death = anthemic - but yes i agree that alot of people only bought nevermind because of teen spirit - from the unwashed as u put it - but my parents got bleach and in utero - the less fashionable albums when they came out - kurts death introduced these albums into the light as people couldnt get enough of that wonderful voice and soul

ReputationRep:
    ooo, didn;t know that. Although, I'm pretty sure OUR generation are pretty much over racism and bigotry (or at least the people I have encountered are)
    unfortunately i still encounter it in my everyday life - our generation are as bad as the last - but ill tell u what that bigot got wrong earlier - it is part of our generation or at least my generation because my parents are as old as kurt's - so there

ReputationRep:
    i am as pissed off with young kids who only know about the nevermind album as i am with the older lot who think nirvana belongs to them because they all love the incesticide album which only they could appreciate whilst everyone else tries to slaughter it at times - LOOK nirvana is for anyone who chooses to listen to it - stop with all the possessive bull-doody and celebrate the genius of these 3 men (pat smear and chad channing dont count) - music is to listen to - not something to be proud of - if it gives u joy then all well and good - dont use it as a benchmark by which to judge - therein lies the true loyalty along with appreciating the messages of each song written by Kurt Cobain = thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Remember how shortly after Kurt died, everyone in the world suddenly bought Nevermind? My neighbour played Smells Like Teen Spirits loudly through thin walls SIX times in rapid succession I kid you not (not playing ANY of the other tracks on that album), having previously never played any at all. I wanted to throttle him at the time. I'm not trying to be all hip and claim I was 'into' them in a big way from the beginning or that I even know what the whole movement was about. I just liked their songs and was listening to them from fairly early on.

Anyway the moral of the story is that I think it took Kurt's suicide to bring his music to the great unwashed; prior to that I was firmly in the 'uncool' brigade at my school for liking their music - suddenly its hip!
    It's strange, this morbid obsession people seem to have, - dashing out a buying the album straight after his death, - somehow having a dead band member made the band more credible to the masses. Not that I can claim I was there from the beginning! - I was 8-9 when he died, though I bought Nevermind without knowing who Kurt Cobain was, nor that he was dead.

ReputationRep:
    yes ok - DEBASER is a class track by the way - i am seeing them in Hyde park with RCHP this summer - yYYYYESSSSSS
    are the pixies playing support at all the RHCP summer gigs? cus me and a mate r going to cardiff to see RHCP, pixies bloody better be there...!! :mad:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.