Public Speaking Phobia Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
agh I desperately need some help
I have a huge fear of public speaking..and when I say public I mean only my class of say 20.
Whenever I have to do it I start shaking vigorously and can't get any words out at all and therefore end up having to sit down.
I've been to the doctor and they've prescribed me with some drugs to slow down my blood pressure and therefore stop the physical symptoms of shaking. However since then I havn't had to do any presentations...untill now.
I have one coming up in a week or so and am really scared as I don't know for defininate whether these drugs are actually going to work.
If they don't not only is it going to be highly embarassing yet again, but I'l also feel so low as I will know that not even a doctor can help me.
I know it sounds stupid, as it's all in my head probably but I don't know what to do.
any advice please...
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Truly uncanny.

You should perhaps consider getting in contact with one 'fashiongirly' via PM: something tells me that she'd identify with your exact predicament.
Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Truly uncanny.

You should perhaps consider getting in contact with one 'fashiongirly' via PM: something tells me that she'd identify with your exact predicament.
LOL!

But sorry, generally it's if you lack confidence. Do you have many friends?
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
read this a few weeks back...
(in the publication)

http://www.newscientist.com/article....500&print=true
fashiongirly
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
i hav loads of friends.
and thats really not funny.
didnt even mean to post it twice, pressed the wrong button. not that funny. get over it.
but if u find that funny then maybe ur the 1 who dusnt hav that many frends?
o and thanx so much for the help..
Shakespeare1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i totally know what you are going through, i have a massive fear of public speaking espeshially in my classes in school. i had a rather bad one....about a year ago.
well i was in english and me and my group had to sit in the 'hot seats' the teacher was to ask us questions and we had to answer them without even thinking about what we are going to say beforehand just totally random questions about the novel we were reading and well when it was my turn to answer a question the teacher gave me, i didnt hear what she said ( i have a hearing problem which only made the situation worse)
so i asked her to repeat it....it didnt really make much of a difference...but anyway, i started stammering....blushing....sweati ng and i was on the brink of crying!! and people noticed i was about to cry and were staring at me as if i was a freak.....
i only said one sentence.........
i get so worked up about speaking on front of people. i get headaches and sleepless night worrying about it...
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fashiongirly)
i hav loads of friends.
and thats really not funny.
didnt even mean to post it twice, pressed the wrong button. not that funny. get over it.
but if u find that funny then maybe ur the 1 who dusnt hav that many frends?
o and thanx so much for the help..
How very arrogant of you.
mipmapped
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Smoke a joint and eat a packet of Kalms. The world will be your rosy oyster.
stratomaster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Refuse to do it? That's what i'd have done in your situation
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The easiest way I've found to get over public speaking phobias is just to practice and do lots of it!!

Maybe start presenting to small groups (eg, parents, one or two close friends, etc), then gradually work up to bigger groups.

Also, make sure you practice what you have to say as much as possible beforehand, so you know exactly what you need to say, and if you're using PowerPoint, OHP slides or other visuals, you know when to change slides, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (1)
25%
Pro-humanity (3)
75%

Watched Threads