The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The initial question is extremely subjective, As said before many people see them as gifts, but at the wrong time, under the wrong circumstances then they can become curses.

I'm Completely Pro-choice, as I feel every woman has a right to a choice about what they do with their bodies, and because every ones perceptions are different then why should for example a non-religious person suffer for someones religious beliefs saying its wrong, Or another who believes the embryo is not classified as 'life' yet another believes that it is already a life, a child.
I find many a time Pro-lifers can be the cold and selfish ones if anything, as they care more about a unborn 'embryo' than that of the mothers life and well being, and its debatable if they care enough about children as it is if there subjecting them to be born into possibly hostile and unloved environments..

There's my two cents anyway :smile:
Reply 41
You know, contraception is not 100% effective. Not everyone who has an abortion didn't use contraception. And some of them will have been raped.

yer i know that, i ment the ones who dunt use it and have no intention of having kids, they will keep having abortions and i don't think that is fair!!!
Reply 42
Laursy
yer i know that, i ment the ones who dunt use it and have no intention of having kids, they will keep having abortions and i don't think that is fair!!!

Its rare that people use repeated abortion as contraception, Lets face it its much easier just to use the pill, condom etc. That is only an extreme example.
Reply 43
Take my friend for example. She is a mature, sensible person the majority of the time, but, she has been having unprotected sex for months now. She even got concerned about her's or her boyfriends fertility. But now she is pregnant and is having an abortion.

It just, to me, seems such a waste. Pregnancy should be, appart from the obvious downsides, a wonderfull time in a womans life. Why do people see the struggle instead of the gain?

You read/hear about women who consider an abortion or even going full term then putting the baby up for adoption but when its too late for an abortion and go full term or when they've given birth, the majority wonder why they even considered that.

The arguement of "it's just an embryo, not a person", in my opinion, is used to stop people feeling any guilt/remorse, remember thats just my opinion.
I don't understand why the man doesn't have any rights, he has a responsibbility to provide for the child once it's born, but he can't decide whether the child is born or not, while the mother can? It makes no sense to me.

And why isn't the embryo considered alive, if a woman moscarries, then is her grief not real because it's not really a baby, or are only children who are wanted alive.

I can't believe we have another abortion thread.
Reply 45
Scheherazade
I can't believe we have another abortion thread.

I didn't intend on starting an abortion thread, but people drifted away from my original question :frown:
Reply 46
it just, to me, seems such a waste. Pregnancy should be, appart from the obvious downsides, a wonderfull time in a womans life. Why do people see the struggle instead of the gain?

totally agree with you there,

i dunt think of it a n embryo or a cluster of cells, to me it would be a child, if i was to have unprotected sex, i would face up to the consiqueince (i can't spell), and also not just run off and have an abortion,
Reply 47
law:portal

The arguement of "it's just an embryo, not a person", in my opinion, is used to stop people feeling any guilt/remorse, remember thats just my opinion.

Indeed, But Many people beleive in science, and because an embryo doesnt not have features we associate with that of a peron, aswell as its functioning then it can be justified calling it ust an embryo, IN my opnion the feelings felt when childen are lost in a miscarriage are those mothers emotions and feelings that there 'baby' is dead, However many people dont believe it is a baby, and have no emotions for it due to their cirumstances (Rapist child for example.) and so I dont see it as a cheat to not feel anything but a justified action if they want to think about it like that.
I was completing a task today for college in which I had to separate people's comments on abortion into pro/anti/impartial sections.

My personal opinion on this matter is that abortion, on the surface, is wrong and women should feel privileged to be able to give birth. Sure you get the grumbles of aches and pains - which I am in no doubt over the severity of - but I would like to think that this is something which is, in reality, overwhelmed by the actual feeling of giving birth.

- So are the moans and groans greater than giving birth?
- Has it come to a stage in our time where women have forgotten their significance?
- Is pregnancy a curse or a gift?

How can you use a survey of people's comments on abortion to put forward a proposition that pregnancy and birth are losing their significance?

I can guarantee you that I value my ability to have children and a family more highly than anything else.

I can also guarantee you that I would have been one of those "cold, selfish females with the pro-abortion views".
Reply 49
ellewoods
How can you use a survey of people's comments on abortion to put forward a proposition that pregnancy and birth are losing their significance?

I can guarantee you that I value my ability to have children and a family more highly than anything else.

I can also guarantee you that I would have been one of those "cold, selfish females with the pro-abortion views".

It was used as an example thats all.

Your next statements confuse me. On the one hand u say that u value your ability to have children and a family more highly than anything else but on the other hand you would be a "cold, selfish female with pro-abortion views"

I'll say this again the statement of "cold, selfish female with pro-abortion views" which I used was directed at the people in the survey alone, not the general population.
Your next statements confuse me. On the one hand u say that u value your ability to have children and a family more highly than anything else but on the other hand you would be a "cold, selfish female with pro-abortion views"

Because I intend to have a family, and hugely value my ability to do so.

I also value my choice to have an abortion should I accidentally fall pregnant and do not wish to have the child for my own reasons.

My point is that abortion and valuing pregnancy are seperate issues. People don't have abortions because they don't value pregnancy, they have abortions for other reasons.
Reply 51
I'm exactly the same.

Having children is my one most important goal in life.

Yet if I woke up tomorrow and found I was pregnant (which would be highly surprising as I've never had sex, but that's not the point) I would have an abortion in a heartbeat. I have a student life ahead of me for the next three years. I intend to get a degree so that when I do have these children, I can buy them things.
Thats the sort of reasoning I am talking about. Nearly everybody in this thread has looked at the negative side of pregnancy and not the positive, why?

As this thread has moved away from my original question and onto whether or not abortion is correct, answer me these questions:

- Is it fair that some women and their partners cannot conceive?
- Is it right that some women do not take contreception seriously, always knowing they have abortion to fall back on?

It's the whole problem with society these days, life just is not valued any more.

OK then, I'm not going to discuss anything else apart from contribute my two cents and answer your questions according to my personal opinions and beliefs, as the reason you started this thread was to deduce people's varying opinions, so, here goes...

Is it fair that some women and their partners cannot conceive?
Of course it isn't, but is it fair that some people get cancer and some don't, that some people are made redundant and some don't? Life is a lottery, and life is unfair, of course it is. Nothing in this world is fair.

- Is it right that some women do not take contreception seriously, always knowing they have abortion to fall back on?
That's personal choice, of course. I myself abhor this sort of undertaking and would question such women's reasoning, as contraception is freely available, etc etc. I have studied the law pertaining to abortion and in my opinion it can be perceived, not necessarily is, I hasten to add, that getting one isn't that hard, which may contribute to this behaviour.
I think the risks of abortion need to be made more public, personally, but again thats just my opinion. Basically, its not right, but who am I to tell people not to play Russian Roulette?

- Has it come to a stage in our time where women have forgotten their significance?

I know what you mean, yet this part rubbed me the wrong way. I would just like to say my life purpose is not to have children :biggrin:

ok that’s out of the way :p:

I’m not very nurturing, I’ll admit. I think I got it from my mother - who stopped being “motherly” once I was no longer a baby. Having a child is not important to me. I don’t think about it, nor do I desire it. But if I found out I was pregnant, I would raise it with as much love as I can possibly give, no matter what his/her age :p: I don’t think I could ever have an abortion, unless it’s due to rape. In this case, it wouldn’t really be about me, more about the baby. How on earth do you tell them you’re father was a rapist? That’s how you were conceived….urrr….I couldn’t do it. But of course it has nothing to do with the baby, he/she did nothing wrong - but I believe in honesty.

I wouldn’t advice any female on whether or not she should have an abortion. It’s her body, her choice. Although it is unfair that the father has no say, but what can you do :frown:

Just...thought I'd share..:hmmm: :biggrin:
Reply 54
bluedreamer
I know what you mean, yet this part rubbed me the wrong way. I would just like to say my life purpose is not to have children :biggrin:

I didn't mean that a woman's significance is measured only by the amount of children she gives birth too :p:
I didn't mean that a woman's significance is measured only by the amount of children she gives birth too :p:

If that were the case, then I’d be highly insignificant :redface: :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending