The Student Room Group

Uk flag without scotland proposal

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by FrigidSymphony
Since the UK is a union between the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England, if Scotland leaves the Union it will no longer be the UK. You'll have to draw up some different form of country.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
You would no longer be the United Kingdom, and Scotland would no longer be part of the country represented by the flag, which loses you the blue background and St Andrew's cross.

Yes we will still be the United Kingdom... Scotland doesn't own the copyright on having a blue background or a white cross on flags, we won't "lose" anything.
You would no longer be the United Kingdom, and Scotland would no longer be part of the country represented by the flag, which loses you the blue background and St Andrew's cross.
It still part of the history of our remaining country. There are plenty of flags which have parts of them there historically.
Reply 23
That's not actually a bad flag. The problem for a modern flag developer is that flags are a bit of an anachronistic thing. You have used traditional heraldry stuff like straight lines, saltires, crosses, and the dragon in the canton, but this is all out the window these days because branding has moved on so much, also we can reproduce the flag design by computer these days so easy-to-draw straight lines aren't so important.

Look at things like the logos of councils and even the "official" flags of some counties, they have non-traditional designs. I just had a kickass idea for a new, modern-looking union flag with no straight lines.

What with all the subnationalistic fervour around these days though, nobody would take to a new union flag, they would all just prefer their individual country flags probably, even more so than now.

Since the UK is a union between the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England, if Scotland leaves the Union it will no longer be the UK. You'll have to draw up some different form of country.

Not true, Northern Ireland is the remnant of the Act of Union with Ireland in 1800.

Besides in this day and age we have probably moved on from the letter of the law, if we did do a new flag and Wales wasn't on it it would be anachronistic and a bit of a travesty.

"Some different form of country" was done in 1998 when devolution happened, the union model is no longer valid.
Original post by callum9999
The Queen will still be their head of state - for the near future anyway.

And so what? The "Commonwealth" does virtually nothing for Australia and New Zealand (and Scotland and the UK will be far closer than the UK is to Oz and NZ). The flag is still on theirs for historical reasons and I see no reason why it can't remain on ours for the same. If it upsets you that much, remove the Scottish cross and then add in a completely unrelated, yet identical, cross for aesthetic reasons.

What about the Canadian flag?

Original post by seanfromtheblock
I'm not entirely certain, but I thought it was down to Wales never really being a totally seperate country like scotland was? It was just a principality. I'm sure that's the reason it's the Welsh Assembly instead of Parliament

Scotland is different in lots of ways to England (different NHS, different legal system, different school system, becoming an adult at 16 etc.) where Wales shares all of these things with England

Ohh right.. I want independance :frown:
Reply 25

How about this?
Reply 26
I'm not entirely certain, but I thought it was down to Wales never really being a totally seperate country like scotland was? It was just a principality. I'm sure that's the reason it's the Welsh Assembly instead of Parliament

Scotland is different in lots of ways to England (different NHS, different legal system, different school system, becoming an adult at 16 etc.) where Wales shares all of these things with England

What's the fact that it was a principality got to do with it? Many modern countries are principalities. Wales has a different NHS, slightly different legal system (although we follow English law, the WAG has resulted in us having slightly different laws, so much so the Welsh government is now looking into Wales beocming a separate jurisdiction and Wales has a slightly different education system too).

Btw, the French parliament is called National Assembly of France. Is France not a country?
Reply 27
It would be nice if we could use it as an opportunity to give wales a bit more recognition. It seems a bit odd to leave them out.
Reply 28
Original post by Gales

How about this?

it would certainly stop shut up the right wing thugs chanting 'there aint no black in the union jack' :biggrin:

yes there is old chap.
Original post by Gales
What's the fact that it was a principality got to do with it? Many modern countries are principalities. Wales has a different NHS, slightly different legal system (although we follow English law, the WAG has resulted in us having slightly different laws, so much so the Welsh government is now looking into Wales beocming a separate jurisdiction and Wales has a slightly different education system too).

Btw, the French parliament is called National Assembly of France. Is France not a country?

what France call their parliament isn't really relevant, there's a distinction between UK regions in that Scotland has a parliament, where Wales and NI have assemblies. Is there not a reason for that distinction? (I honestly don't know, as I said in my above post I don't really know a lot about Wales).
Reply 30
what France call their parliament isn't really relevant, there's a distinction between UK regions in that Scotland has a parliament, where Wales and NI have assemblies. Is there not a reason for that distinction? (I honestly don't know, as I said in my above post I don't really know a lot about Wales).

Because the Welsh Assembly didn't have law making powers at the time of its inauguration I believe. A representative on BBC Wales said that the Assembly is now officially a parliament (since the referendum last March) and some AMs refer to it as the Welsh parliament. I think it hasn't been renamed because the Welsh Assembly has now become an entrenched word and I don't think it would catch on.
Reply 31
Original post by Miracle Day
Ohh right.. I want independance :frown:

Pam? :tongue:
A flag without Scotland you say? Celebrate England and Wales you say?...yeah sorry, surrounded by diligent students and on a ****ty netbook, couldn't do better...:tongue:

Reply 33
Original post by Steevee
Let's have the Tudor Rose in the bottom left corner, and to be honest, I'd rather a different colour background, white is a bit too garish and a bit too close to the St.George's cross.

But then the racists wouldnt have a point when they say "theres no black on the union jack! :fuhrer:"

:holmes:

EDIT:

Original post by cid
it would certainly stop shut up the right wing thugs chanting 'there aint no black in the union jack' :biggrin:

yes there is old chap.

Haha, yeah! Seen that alot on facebook
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Snowfreeze
Australia and New Zealand are part of the British Commonwealth, and our Queen is also theirs, therefore they have the Union Jack on their flags.

If Scotland gain independence, the rest of the UK would have no connection with them all at, thus Scotland should be removed from the flag.

They don't have to, Canada didn't and many other Commonwealth nations haven't. There's some campaigns in both Australia and New Zealand for flag changes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_flag_debate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_flag_debate
Why would we change the Union Flag just because Scotland leave? The Union Flag incorporates Scotland, but it has gained its own identity.
Original post by Gales

How about this?

I do quite like that. Kills two birds with one stone. 1) The Scottish nationalists can't say that we're somehow taking Scottish culture and making it a part of the union and 2) The right wing racists can't do their "Their aint no black in the union jack"
What about St. David's cross, gold/yellow & black, seeing as some people are moaning 'cause of the dragon?
Reply 38
Original post by HellOnHighHeels
What about St. David's cross, gold/yellow & black, seeing as some people are moaning 'cause of the dragon?

The flag I posted uses the black from the flag of St. David. :smile:
Reply 39
Get rid of the Scottish part and replace with something Welsh seeing as there's nothing on the current Union Flag that has references to Wales.

Quick Reply

Latest