Turn on thread page Beta

FAO: Those who got firsts or are on course for a first watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    We are encouraged not to use books as even the latest edition can be out-of-date, and are certainly told never ever to use the internet as internet sources are so unreliable (I get the impression if you reference an internet source you will get a nice big 40% mark lol). So we have to use primary-literature (journals) when writing essays.
    Yeah we have new lecturers this semester who are pounding it into us that they hate internet referencing. It was easier in the first semester because there were a few recommended sites which we could use. However using sites is still good for getting an overview of what happened or approaching things from a different angle (I'm doing History) but I'd never cite wikipedia or anything like that in my bibliography

ReputationRep:
    Where do you study T and V?

ReputationRep:
    I do law, and for a 1:1 they specify complete understanding and application as you can't really be original when it comes to the law!! :rolleyes: Im doing law&Lit this semester though, so there is some scope for original angles / interpretations there.

ReputationRep:
    u can be orginal by not doing what everyone else does. which is try too hard to be original or not try at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    The point you're making may have been thrown about before, but using recent relevant examples to illustrate you've understood the theory and considered it can give you an edge of originality. I got 79% for a politics essay citing examples of civil disobedience relating to recent events in New Orleans etc.

Also use sources that aren't on the reading list etc., older books in the library, websites...
    Yup, even a P.h.D isn't expected to be fully original in what they write, it's simply a case of linking things in novel ways and using wider sources. By doing showing a general sense of dilegence and idiosyncrasy that is the hallmark of a good academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wrangler)
    You're expected to come up with original work while an undergrad?!?! :eek:
    Well for your final year project your lab-based work will be researching something that hasn't been researched before (at least in my university). It doesn't mean you have to be a genius, for example, my friend did his project on characterising new species of marine bacteria that were discovered in a reef off Australia. You don't have to be einstein to do that, but it is original as in that particular work on those bacteria has never been done before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    Yeah we have new lecturers this semester who are pounding it into us that they hate internet referencing. It was easier in the first semester because there were a few recommended sites which we could use. However using sites is still good for getting an overview of what happened or approaching things from a different angle (I'm doing History) but I'd never cite wikipedia or anything like that in my bibliography
    Yeah I agree there is nothing wrong with using internet sources to just read up about a subject. It can often be the quickest and sometimes most up-to-date way to do so. However, you do have to judge anything you read with respect to the reliability of the source. And as you say, it isn't acceptable to use internet sources as references (except early in the first year perhaps).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    Well for your final year project your lab-based work will be researching something that hasn't been researched before (at least in my university). It doesn't mean you have to be a genius, for example, my friend did his project on characterising new species of marine bacteria that were discovered in a reef off Australia. You don't have to be einstein to do that, but it is original as in that particular work on those bacteria has never been done before.
    Ah, I see - cheers. I think all the maths (I do Maths at Uni) has rotted my brain, and whenever I think of "research" I see mini-einsteins huddled over desks churning through reams of paper in the hope to fall on a new theory of the Universe!

ReputationRep:
    Whoops

Platocrates, I'm at Ulster

ReputationRep:
    In English it's easy to be original. To be original and GOOD, however, is something different.... XD

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.