Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any idea where most of the international students stay? Or are they spread out across the campus?

ReputationRep:
    I have got an offer to study law at exeterof AAB, but I was wondering whether exeter would be lenient on their grades and say accept me if i got ABB.

Does anyone know exeters policy for those who don't get the grades specified? Is there any hope if you slip a grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumahumour)
    how can people improve their chances of getting into the 'nice' exeter halls then. Everyone seems to say that mardon, hope, lopes, holland etc are all gonna be taken up by those who have gap years. why is this?

I really want to go to holland, anything i can do to improve my chances?

this is because they have unconditional offers. as the accomodation office know that these people are deffinatly coming they are given the accomodation they want.

all those who put exeter as their first choice get provisionally put into a hall and those on second choice just have to wait.

the only way your gonna speed up your housing application is if you manage to get your results to Exeter quicker than everyone else...which is impossible as they alreaddy get them 3 days ealier than you.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baby_Angelz)
    Any idea where most of the international students stay? Or are they spread out across the campus?
    they are spread accross the campus, i depends where they apply to live just like veryone else.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumahumour)
    I have got an offer to study law at exeterof AAB, but I was wondering whether exeter would be lenient on their grades and say accept me if i got ABB.

Does anyone know exeters policy for those who don't get the grades specified? Is there any hope if you slip a grade?
    not sure about other departments but maths are rediculasly linent...none of my circle of friends got their grades and were all in!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea what the School of Business and Economics is like if you miss the grades?

Also, Katy, did many of your friends miss the grade by much, or was it just one grade?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be going to Exeter in September as well and I've also put Hope hall down as my first choice - well actually I was a bit cheeky and put the different room types down as all 3 choices! :rolleyes:

I can't wait to move in, I love Exeter and already live here half the time anyway (friends etc in the area) - in fact I often live only ten mins 'below' the uni and ten mins from town.

When it came to my results last year (I've deferred) I missed out on one grade but still made it in points using my AS result so I was ok - accepted without any trouble, although the missed grade was dodgy and after a remark it went up anyway so mine isn't really a brilliant example!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirrel)
    I'll be going to Exeter in September as well and I've also put Hope hall down as my first choice - well actually I was a bit cheeky and put the different room types down as all 3 choices! :rolleyes:

I can't wait to move in, I love Exeter and already live here half the time anyway (friends etc in the area) - in fact I often live only ten mins 'below' the uni and ten mins from town.

When it came to my results last year (I've deferred) I missed out on one grade but still made it in points using my AS result so I was ok - accepted without any trouble, although the missed grade was dodgy and after a remark it went up anyway so mine isn't really a brilliant example!
    Wow! Thats really good that you got in and your re-mark went up! I'm having something re-marked at the moment-im really worried about the summer as i dont trust the marking of the examiners anymore! What course will you be studying? Did they ask you for a-level grades (e.g. ABB) or points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    Does anyone have any idea what the School of Business and Economics is like if you miss the grades?

Also, Katy, did many of your friends miss the grade by much, or was it just one grade?
    I went to an Economics and Geography open day and they said they'd probably accept some people who missed by one grade.

I've put Exeter down as my first choice, and I've just got the accommodation stuff. Does anyone who is at Exeter think its worth paying the extra £10 or so a week for an 'enhanced' room in self-catering? They're quite vague about what enhanced means.

Is it an Exeter policy not to let people see the accommodation on open days? I was pretty annoyed about that, I'd travelled for 7 hours to get there, and that was one of the main things I wanted to see, as I'd already decided it was going to be my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sock)
    They're quite vague about what enhanced means.
    Enhanced means that you get better furniture, a Tv liscence (worth £116), and basically a nicer room - if you can stretch your budget- id say go for it.

Is it an Exeter policy not to let people see the accommodation on open days? I was pretty annoyed about that, I'd travelled for 7 hours to get there, and that was one of the main things I wanted to see, as I'd already decided it was going to be my first choice.
    i helped in the maths department ope day and ever aplicant was shown accomodation...dont know why you wernt? if your ever down again and want to look - your welcome to come and look around mine, but i am catered standard on st lukes.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:

Pete had an offer of 360 points made from 3 A levels + 1 AS for buisness (and accounting i think) and missed by 10 points.

most of the maths people missed by 1/2 grades in most subjects and all bar me missed the A in maths required.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    what are the standard rooms/facilities like? (sinks, showers, bogs etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sock)
    I wasn't shown any of the accommodation either, just the outside of the building-I wasn't happy, as like you I knew it was to be my first choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t12345)
    what are the standard rooms/facilities like? (sinks, showers, bogs etc.)
    standard room = bed, wardrobe, desk, chair, bedside table plus most have a sink.

you share showers/baths/toilets ...i share 2 toilets/1 shower/1 bath between 7 girls. They are manky and discusting but you get used to them.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    Enhanced means that you get better furniture, a Tv liscence (worth £116), and basically a nicer room - if you can stretch your budget- id say go for it.

i helped in the maths department ope day and ever aplicant was shown accomodation...dont know why you wernt? if your ever down again and want to look - your welcome to come and look around mine, but i am catered standard on st lukes.

love Katy ***
    Thanks for your help. Are you sure it includes the TV liscence? I would've thought they would have written that in the booklet thing, its quite a good selling point. The person who did the tour made up some lie about people stealing stuff from rooms so nobody was allowed to look at them anymore. I figured either the rooms were really awful, or he just couldn't be bothered to organise it. Halfway through the tour some students took over the tour, and we got to see the back of Lopes (I think) which wasn't very impressive. Then we looked at the sports centre. That was the extent of the tour. I didn't judge the university on the standard of the tour though, lol.

ReputationRep:
    standard room = bed, wardrobe, desk, chair, bedside table plus most have a sink.

you share showers/baths/toilets ...i share 2 toilets/1 shower/1 bath between 7 girls. They are manky and discusting but you get used to them.

love Katy ***
    I read somewhere on the internet that there are communal showers in part of Duryard. Does that mean there's just one big room, with no privacy? I really hope it doesn't mean that

ReputationRep:
    Pete had an offer of 360 points made from 3 A levels + 1 AS for buisness (and accounting i think) and missed by 10 points.

most of the maths people missed by 1/2 grades in most subjects and all bar me missed the A in maths required.

love Katy ***
    That gives me a bit more hope! Atm im 2 grades off, but I think there should be no problem being one grade off (i hope)
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    That gives me a bit more hope! Atm im 2 grades off, but I think there should be no problem being one grade off (i hope)
    xxxx
    What course have you applied for? Hope you get the grades
    I've been very impressed with the Business and Economics department apart from the tour, I've been emailing the admissions people about changing to the course with the year in Europe, and they sorted it out very quickly. I emailed them about it last Monday, and the course changed on UCAS on Sunday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sock)
    What course have you applied for? Hope you get the grades
    I've been very impressed with the Business and Economics department apart from the tour, I've been emailing the admissions people about changing to the course with the year in Europe, and they sorted it out very quickly. I emailed them about it last Monday, and the course changed on UCAS on Sunday
    Applied for Accountancy and Finance-u? Yeah I'm really impressed with it too! I e-mailed the admissions tutor last night about some sponsorship questions and he got back to me first thing this morning and was very helpful (i've friends that have waited nearly a week or more for responses from people). That is impressived about how quickly they have changed it!

ReputationRep:
    Applied for Accountancy and Finance-u? Yeah I'm really impressed with it too! I e-mailed the admissions tutor last night about some sponsorship questions and he got back to me first thing this morning and was very helpful (i've friends that have waited nearly a week or more for responses from people). That is impressived about how quickly they have changed it!
    Economics and Geography (with European Study). I really want to get the grades, I'll kick myself if I don't. The building seemed quite nice, I think its fairly new. There were fountains and everything. I'm easily impressed.

Sponsorship? Is there free money available? I want some...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.