Calling all students at Exeter University!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by sock)
Economics and Geography (with European Study). I really want to get the grades, I'll kick myself if I don't. The building seemed quite nice, I think its fairly new. There were fountains and everything. I'm easily impressed.

Sponsorship? Is there free money available? I want some...
Cool-i'm sure that you'll get the grades, I hope you do! Yeah, streatham court seems really nice, I quite like it! No there isn't any money available im affraid, i was hoping that there was
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sock)
I read somewhere on the internet that there are communal showers in part of Duryard. Does that mean there's just one big room, with no privacy? I really hope it doesn't mean that

no it means that you dont get your own...they're like cubicals with showers in.

love Katy ***
sock
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemma1811)
Cool-i'm sure that you'll get the grades, I hope you do! Yeah, streatham court seems really nice, I quite like it! No there isn't any money available im affraid, i was hoping that there was
The only offer of money I came across was if you do a year in Germany, you might get £500 or something. I've got 1 grade above the offer right now (offer is BBB, I have ABB) but the A was only by 3 marks, so I'm a little worried. Good luck in your exams, see you at Exeter hopefully

no it means that you dont get your own...they're like cubicals with showers in.

love Katy ***
Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to go for Lafrowda. Cos I'm cheap, and I don't want to live near a railway line.
kirrel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemma1811)
Wow! Thats really good that you got in and your re-mark went up! I'm having something re-marked at the moment-im really worried about the summer as i dont trust the marking of the examiners anymore! What course will you be studying? Did they ask you for a-level grades (e.g. ABB) or points?
I'm going to be doing Archaeology. My friends and I were also quite worried about the examiners marking standards last year, especially after the problems from the AS, my dodgy grade was down to one of my modules - I got all A's in each module except for a very low E in one so that got re-marked and went up to an A - which makes you wonder what were they doing exactly to mark it so wrong in the first place. :confused: I hope you don't have any problems, they really should have got their act together by now.

Exeter wanted grades from me really but for some reason they didnt seem to mind when it was points instead.
Evil Muffin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kirrel)
I'm going to be doing Archaeology. My friends and I were also quite worried about the examiners marking standards last year, especially after the problems from the AS, my dodgy grade was down to one of my modules - I got all A's in each module except for a very low E in one so that got re-marked and went up to an A - which makes you wonder what were they doing exactly to mark it so wrong in the first place. :confused: I hope you don't have any problems, they really should have got their act together by now.

Exeter wanted grades from me really but for some reason they didnt seem to mind when it was points instead.
Same thing happened to me with my English AS last year. I was given a D in one paper that after the remarking, went up by a third to an A! It happened again for our resits (although I didn't resit anything): people who were amazing at the subject were given D's and E's.
And the name of this illustrious exam board....Edexcel
Firestarter_12
Report 16 years ago
Hi guys,

I'm a 1st year living in Mardon - and I have to say I'm not a sloane, I'm not posh and I don't have an upper class background!

OK most people I've met here are from southern England, but really it doesn't matter that much. It's not all like that - a couple of ppl in Mardon right now are from Scotland.

Mardon's def. the best hall on campus NOW but from next year onwards Holland will be THE place, so anyone who gets in there will be dead lucky.

As far as Open Days go, I didn't go to one, but if accommodation is shown it will be Mardon - I've shown my room to tons of people.

Bathrooms are communal, something I don't like as I like privacy, but you get used to it, and it doesn't bother me.

As far as food goes, Mardon and Birks are good, Hope is probably good too. Don't think Duryard has such great food. (Desserts at Mardon are great!)

Exeter Uni is great - I'm so pleased I went there. I'm doing English, had to get ABB to get in but as I got AAA there was no trouble there. There's a good mixture of city/country. I live in Cornwall anyway so I really love the countryside, so in Exeter it's great as I'm not far from anything (including the beach).

It's also the friendliest Uni I visited (out of 5 I saw Swansea, Cardiff, Southampton and Portsmouth as well).

The accommodation is a little expensive (prices going up again next year). Single in Mardon is £103 a week now, going up to £108 next year. Some of the other halls are expensive too, but maybe it's to do with the area etc/part of country its in. Next year I'm living in a house in the Pinhoe area with 3 friends. We got £52 a week with water, so as far as 2nd yr accomodation goes, if you get in early enough you can get some good bargains.

Any other questions about Exeter I'll be pleased to answer them!
RoyFester
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by t12345)
where would you people at exeter recommend applying to if I want to live with 'normal' people (i.e avoid as many snobby gits as possible!)?
The cheaper self catering residences all seem less sloaney =) But believe it or not there's a few normal people even in the most expensive halls!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.24%
I'm not sure (33)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.98%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed