Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone decided on their accommodation be it self-catering or halls?

I for one can't decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunner123)
    Has anyone decided on their accommodation be it self-catering or halls?

I for one can't decide.
    I had the same problem, then i decided to look at the financial side of things - it is to be cheaper for me to go catered than it is self-catered, in the long run - but i think i'm guna put down one catered and one self-catered on my form (as I get a double bed in the self-catered rooms )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    (as I get a double bed in the self-catered rooms )
    lucky cow!!

it would be cheaper probably for me to go catered, but i just wouldn't wanna be as tied down as i would.

self catering for me! gotta get me a chef hat now!! oooh..and a cookbook might be good idea, hehe!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    lucky cow!!

it would be cheaper probably for me to go catered, but i just wouldn't wanna be as tied down as i would.

self catering for me! gotta get me a chef hat now!! oooh..and a cookbook might be good idea, hehe!!!

I know - im getting drawn more and more by it - I am wondering how tied down I would be by catering, but by all accounts its not too bad at Exeter - I get 21 meals a week and can have lunch anywhere on campus

Cool, chef's hat and cookbook sound like fun, hehe!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno what would be better - self-catering so I know what I'm poisoning myself with, or catered where I don't have to worry about setting aside money for food and I'd meet more people. Decisions! I'm a bit wary because of my double poisoning incident with Bristol Uni (refectory AND hall!) but I probably will go catered and stick to safe thinks like self-made sandwiches

ReputationRep:
    I definetely prefer self-catered halls, if there is such a criteria.

But IMO self-catered is much better full catered, not because of the money, but for the following reasons:
    - Available food might not be of your liking
    - Might not like how the food is cooked
    - Always have to go everyday at a certain hour to eat, no matter where you're at or what ur doing, otherwise you lose your meal, and money wasted
    - A better sense of freedom in eating when you want, what you want, andhow you want, as long as it doesn't poison/harm anyone

However I would still prefer halls, since socially its much more active.

A combination of Halls and self-catered accomodation would be the best choise IMO.

DjPRO

ReputationRep:
    Im going self catering, partly cus im vegetarian and dont fancy the thought of macaroni cheese every day. It just seems better cus you can eat what you want when you want, and not have to bother about time slots when your halls do food (as some do).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Im going self catering, partly cus im vegetarian and dont fancy the thought of macaroni cheese every day. It just seems better cus you can eat what you want when you want, and not have to bother about time slots when your halls do food (as some do).
    eeks... are you serious?
    They feed vegetarian with macaroni cheese 3 meals a day, 7 days a week?

That's terrible!!!

ReputationRep:
    I decided to go catered because
    1. I only bake cakes
    2. It'll save time
    3. It's a good time to talk to people.
    I am a bit worried about not liking the food but I'm sure i'll manange for a year. Last year they had an option at st. andrews where you could have 14 meals a week- so u made ur own lunch during the week. Then u'd have a decent meal every night but be free during the day, and not have to go back to hall. I really fancied that idea but the option didn't seem to be available this year.
    Anywayz, I better start learning to cook cos I'll most likely try self catering the year after.

ReputationRep:
    Self-catered is definatley the way to go! The general consensus of opinion at the catered halls in Newcastle is that the food is awful, or at best, mediocre. And, they only get 12 meals a week (breakfast and dinner during the week, and lunch at weekends) which means you stil have to buy/cook your own food for quite a bit of the time. With self-catered halls you get a lot more flexibility as to when you eat etc. as well as it being a LOT cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Self-catered is definatley the way to go! The general consensus of opinion at the catered halls in Newcastle is that the food is awful, or at best, mediocre. And, they only get 12 meals a week (breakfast and dinner during the week, and lunch at weekends) which means you stil have to buy/cook your own food for quite a bit of the time. With self-catered halls you get a lot more flexibility as to when you eat etc. as well as it being a LOT cheaper.
    Soton was like that as well - two meals a day?!?!?!? At Exeter you get 21 meals a week (ie 3 meals a day) - i wouldn't even consider it if you wasn't feed properly! I have to eat 3 meals a day if i'm bored - so i reckon at the weekends i'll need those 6 meals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    Soton was like that as well - two meals a day?!?!?!? At Exeter you get 21 meals a week (ie 3 meals a day) - i wouldn't even consider it if you wasn't feed properly! I have to eat 3 meals a day if i'm bored - so i reckon at the weekends i'll need those 6 meals
    Sorry, I meant weekdays breakfast and dinnner, then at weekends they only get lunch (no breakfast or dinner).

ReputationRep:
    Definitely catered for me! I don't trust my cooking.

ReputationRep:
    Catered accomodation seems the better option as the second year is all about catering for yourself in your private residences.

Is it true even if your living in fully catered halls you are still required to pay for meals though at a discounted rate???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    Catered accomodation seems the better option as the second year is all about catering for yourself in your private residences.

Is it true even if your living in fully catered halls you are still required to pay for meals though at a discounted rate???
    depends which uni

ReputationRep:
    self catering sounds like a laugh to me! hehe super noodles every day

ReputationRep:
    i think catered would work out cheaper in the long term, although i've heard the food can be pretty vile. at least there isn't the worry of having to learn how to cook. if i went in self catered i'd blow all my "food money" in week 1 on a new stereo and be left eating oatmeal for the rest of term. i might even come home with scurvy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i think catered would work out cheaper in the long term, although i've heard the food can be pretty vile. at least there isn't the worry of having to learn how to cook. if i went in self catered i'd blow all my "food money" in week 1 on a new stereo and be left eating oatmeal for the rest of term. i might even come home with scurvy
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Self-catered definately works out cheaper, as long as you're sensible about what you buy - don't blow all your money microwave meals, or take-aways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Self-catered definately works out cheaper, as long as you're sensible about what you buy - don't blow all your money microwave meals, or take-aways.
    I think sharing with friends also helps - economies of scale.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.