Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It depends, yes I would like enough good friends to be able to have fun and be myself around, but be popular...I cant say its never crossed my mind but I dont particulary want to be. I would prefer to have a few close friends than hundreds of people who I mean nothing, and mean nothing to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    It depends, yes I would like enough good friends to be able to have fun and be myself around, but be popular...I cant say its never crossed my mind but I dont particulary want to be. I would prefer to have a few close friends than hundreds of people who I mean nothing, and mean nothing to.
    Exactly!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    but you'd stil LIKE to be popular for who you are right?
    I wouldn't activley try to be unpopular (just as I don't activley try to be popular)...but I need more solitude and me-time than most people so tend to have no time left for anyone else (IRL - online it's different, the choice of posting or not posting and loggin on or off is with me so there's no pressure to be anyone but myself and if I want to be on my own I can just switch off the internet and do some work, which means that my online persona is very onesided - ie you all see me when I'm in a good-ish mood and I just disappear when I'm not in a good mood).

I find there are only a small number of people who like me for who I am - most people like me for what I can do for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    is there anyone?
    well i dont for one. popularity is ignorence, bullying and general bigheadedness in its worst forms. you have to follow rules, and dress codes (fashions) to remain popular, you have to bully people into admiring you and you need to keep up with all the 'in' things, whether you want to do them or not. peer pressures such as drinking, drugs and sex needs to be conformed with to remain in the 'in crowd'.

cack!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    well i dont for one. popularity is ignorence, bullying and general bigheadedness in its worst forms. you have to follow rules, and dress codes (fashions) to remain popular, you have to bully people into admiring you and you need to keep up with all the 'in' things, whether you want to do them or not. peer pressures such as drinking, drugs and sex needs to be conformed with to remain in the 'in crowd'.

cack!
    be different... conform

ReputationRep:
    amy. god help us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    be different... conform
    ?????? wake up glitter! ur outa bed now...

ReputationRep:
    i think some people just hav a natural ability to be popular if that makes sense? when someone tries to be popular id like to think most people see right through it... though in the end it consumes them so that they do actually end up popular but its taken them a long time trying lol...

i dunno.. some people just hav 'popular qualities'. if im just myself, im not automatically the most popular person but i do hav a lot of friends scattered everywer and i think no1 hates me so thats got to mean something right? lol...

so its not a matter of whether you want to be popular or not i dont think..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    i think some people just hav a natural ability to be popular if that makes sense? when someone tries to be popular id like to think most people see right through it... though in the end it consumes them so that they do actually end up popular but its taken them a long time trying lol...

i dunno.. some people just hav 'popular qualities'. if im just myself, im not automatically the most popular person but i do hav a lot of friends scattered everywer and i think no1 hates me so thats got to mean something right? lol...

so its not a matter of whether you want to be popular or not i dont think..
    the term popular is ususally glued to 'in crowd' who everyone secretly loathes but pretends to love. they think they r it and as i said in an above post everythin aboutt hem riles me. sorry but its tru. i wud never wana b an incrowder, i want to b myself,. i stil have lots of nice friends and have as gooder time as anyone, just without the rules, things i must follow and deals i need to keep.

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say that I don't wanna be popular. I mean I have a good group of friends and that's all I want - I've been asked by the :cool: "in crowd" to hang out but I've said no thanks (the only entry requirement you need is vanity)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimist)
    I can honestly say that I don't wanna be popular. I mean I have a good group of friends and that's all I want - I've been asked by the :cool: "in crowd" to hang out but I've said no thanks (the only entry requirement you need is vanity)
    well done! takes guts as they say. they reckon u uncool now etc etc by any chamce?

ReputationRep:
    well done! takes guts as they say. they reckon u uncool now etc etc by any chamce?
    No we just have an "understanding" lol I made it clear that I wasn't interested in talking to them and I think that earned me some respect and my friend whos sort of popular said "well done they really like you now" and I keep saying I don't care if they like me or not!! But he keeps saying "yes you do" YEAH RIGHT LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimist)
    No we just have an "understanding" lol I made it clear that I wasn't interested in talking to them and I think that earned me some respect and my friend whos sort of popular said "well done they really like you now" and I keep saying I don't care if they like me or not!! But he keeps saying "yes you do" YEAH RIGHT LOL
    mmm well thats the opp of most in crowders i no. mpost of em just blank me out now, although the very few 'nicer in crowders' acknololedge my existence. i cud live without them. after school life thyel get hit in the face by the reailty!

ReputationRep:
    mmm well thats the opp of most in crowders i no. mpost of em just blank me out now, although the very few 'nicer in crowders' acknololedge my existence. i cud live without them. after school life thyel get hit in the face by the reailty!
    LOL yeah that'll be a nice surprise for them - suddenly the footballers etc will be without their titles and possibly without their friends - can anybody say lonely?

" popular " was a term used here in years 7,8,9,10 at my college there is no 'popularity' people just have friends

TinyKakes are you suppose to be like really popular at your school or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa)
    " popular " was a term used here in years 7,8,9,10 at my college there is no 'popularity' people just have friends
    Thats a good point is that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa)

TinyKakes are you suppose to be like really popular at your school or something?
    mmm quite the opposite actually. there ar epopular people, the ones 'admired' most

ReputationRep:
    i would rather have a small group of good friends rather than a large group of people "i know"

to be popular would mean that you may have to mould yourself round what people want. i woudlnt do that.

however some people are just naturally what lot of people like and dont have to do the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    i would rather have a small group of good friends rather than a large group of people "i know"

to be popular would mean that you may have to mould yourself round what people want. i woudlnt do that.

however some people are just naturally what lot of people like and dont have to do the above.
    quite right. besides, u find after leavin school the 'popular' people have very few friends remaining

ReputationRep:
    quite right. besides, u find after leavin school the 'popular' people have very few friends remaining
    The day I leave school would be my renaissance.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.