The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you get caught, you'll be treated as if you didn't have a ticket and get an automatic penalty fare OR you can dragged to court and be fined up to £1000 plus court costs.
:rolleyes:
Original post by Dr Good Manners
If you get caught, you'll be treated as if you didn't have a ticket and get an automatic penalty fare OR you can dragged to court and be fined up to £1000 plus court costs.

same goes for downloading pirate music, but we all do it anyway.
Reply 22
I got caught once. I was on my way back from Torquay to London, and the ticket inspector on the first, short train journey to Newton Abbot got all bitchy about it. She said she was going to contact my school, but when the train pulled into Newton Abbot, I told her she wasn't going to stop me getting off. She told me they'd carry on checking on the next train, so I just forked out for an adult ticket for the next train. I'd done that journey on a child ticket loads of times, but being a 6'1 17 year old, I guess I was pushing it a bit. :P
That was nearly two years ago, and I've grown even more, so I always get adult tickets now.

They can't really do that much, they have no right to detain you unless they call the police, which they're pretty unlikely to do.
Reply 23
Is this not partly the reason why tickets get so much more expensive... =/
The worse thing which can happen that you have to pay fine or you may go to jail or both.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, i'm 16 and was wondering if i could get a child train ticket. I look younger as well, and could use my younger sisters birth certificate if i needed ID. But do train inspecters believe people are children if they are travelling a 3 hour journey on a school day? Thanks :smile:
Original post by lisa96
Hi, i'm 16 and was wondering if i could get a child train ticket. I look younger as well, and could use my younger sisters birth certificate if i needed ID. But do train inspecters believe people are children if they are travelling a 3 hour journey on a school day? Thanks :smile:

That could set off an alarm bell, tbh.

I get away with having a child ticket... if I'm going somewhere with my parents and I've recently shaved :colondollar:. If I'm alone or couldn't be bothered shaving, then I get an adult ticket.

Being short sometimes has benefits :wink:
Original post by Razzamoly
That could set off an alarm bell, tbh.

I get away with having a child ticket... if I'm going somewhere with my parents and I've recently shaved :colondollar:. If I'm alone or couldn't be bothered shaving, then I get an adult ticket.

Being short sometimes has benefits :wink:

Ok thanks :smile: i just dont want to pay £60 to go to london for one day :frown:
Original post by lisa96
Ok thanks :smile: i just dont want to pay £60 to go to london for one day :frown:

Buy a railcard then.

Can't believe that some of you are condoning fraud.:mad:
Reply 29
My mum got child tickets until she was 23. She only stopped getting them because not many 16 year olds wear a wedding ring!

That being said, fraud is wrong. Either pay the full (and correct) fare or don't go.
Clearly not what he meant. :facepalm2:
Original post by Fother Mucker
i wonder if i show my private bits, for some reason everyone says i look like a child when naked.

Definitely this
Wow, this was a dead thread. But anyhoo:

This is my dad's job. He's a RPO for one of the train companies - he catches, cautions, interviews and prosecutes fare dodgers. He carries a magnifying glass with a light attached to look at railcards more thoroughly, and he's been their most productive RPO for years.

It's a nuisance. People who dodge their fares just increase the fees for everyone else.
(edited 11 years ago)
The fares are extortionate, I agree. However, they genuinely would not be so high if everyone - and of course I mean everyone - paid their fares. But people won't do that.
Original post by Sunshine showers
Obviously once you turn 16 you are classed as an adult and have to buy adult train tickets, which cost over twice as much. If you use trains regularly this really adds up. So when I turned 16 I just carried on buying child tickets and no one ever questioned me. Recently I have just turned 17 and I am still buying child train tickets. Even though I look significantly older than 15, I have still never been questioned.

So If I get caught, what is the worst that could happen? I think I am really pushing it now that I am 17 but I have still never been doubted when I buy the child ticket, or when the ticket checker checks it. If the consequences aren't that severe I will probably just carry on and see how long I can go.

I'm 17 and look much older. I had a football game in Nottingham and was travelling from London with a child ticket, the inspector asked me how old I was, I said 15, we were arguing for about 20 minutes. He was arguing the point I have facial hair and that there was no chance that I was 15. I said I started puberty early haha. There was no chance of proving that I wasn't 15, which I'm not. He soon left, and I saved paying an extra £30. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, didn't realise it was a year old, who looks at the date first though?
You're a legend :biggrin:
Use the PM function.
Hahaha! That actually made me giggle out loud, thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
The fares are extortionate, I agree. However, they genuinely would not be so high if everyone - and of course I mean everyone - paid their fares. But people won't do that.

Sorry, that's complete nonsense. Train companies, like bus companies, don't actually lose that much money in the grand scheme of things; because the vast majority of costumers do pay the correct fare. It's only the odd one or two that try to weasel their way out of paying the correct fare. Barely a dent in their million pound profits - and yet they have the cheek to raise the fares onto we consumers?

That's greediness of behalf of the companies to raise the fares. They use that to hide this fact.

Latest