Question about Oyster cards Watch

SkinnyJeans
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I have a friend coming to stay in London for a few days from Scotland. I figured that seeing as they were staying a few days and want to see a lot of London it would be best to get an Oyster card for them, so that it would be cheaper. However it suddenly occured to me, is this allowed? Are oyster cards available to those out of London? On the form it says address, so will it be ok to fill in a scottish address for this?

Am a bit confused, wondering if someone could help me out.

thanks.
wazza07
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmmmmm i'm not sure,
But you could always give TFL a ring on 020 7222 1234 as they'd give you an answer.
dogtanian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I really don't think you can get temporary Oyser cards. You have to put a deposit on the things anyway.

Does the friend in question have a Young Persons Railcard? If so, they can get money off an off peak Travelcard (zones 1-6 goes down to £4.80 from £6.30). That'd probably be the best way to save money each day, especially for a sightseeing trip. You can also get cheaper travelcards for less zones, such 1-2, but I don't know much about them, living in Croydon. They tend to be cheaper than the price Oyster cards cap at any way.

To be honest, for a visitor rather than a resisdent, even without a railcard I'd probably just get the full priced off peak travelcards. The hassle of applying for a card and the deposit means it isn't really worth it for a short stay.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Unseen_ Angel)
Hmmmmm i'm not sure,
But you could always give TFL a ring on 020 7222 1234 as they'd give you an answer.

...that's the London Buses information line. Won't be much help.

Try finding the relevant info/dept number on the TFL site. But like I said, I'd probably go for paper travelcards.

What kind of Oyster card did you mean, anyway?
wazza07
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
...that's the London Buses information line. Won't be much help.
Nope actually, it isn't specifically for London Buses, its London Travel Information i.e not just for buses.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ah, sorry, you are right.

But I'm not sure it would be much help.

But I suppose it'd be worth a go.
wazza07
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
Ah, sorry, you are right.

But I'm not sure it would be much help.

But I suppose it'd be worth a go.
Well he can be put through to someone who will know the answer hopefully, but as you say its worth the go
Colly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you dont need to give an address to get a pay as you go oyster card so anyone can get one; and it costs 3 quid. Basically if your friend is going to make more than 2 tube journeys its worth it. (because a single zone 1 trip is 3 quid without oyster, 1.50 with)
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Colly)
you dont need to give an address to get a pay as you go oyster card so anyone can get one; and it costs 3 quid. Basically if your friend is going to make more than 2 tube journeys its worth it. (because a single zone 1 trip is 3 quid without oyster, 1.50 with)

Eh?

I did.
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you're gonna use the tube a bit get a pre pay oyster and stick a tenner on it. Costs 3 quid to buy though. However, it caps off at the price of a daily travel card so you wont spend more than whatever a day card costs in a single day, regardless of how many journeys you make.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads