Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    my personal view on religion is that unless you have an "experience" then u are believing what others are telling you and that seems rather stupid
    I beleive that's where faith comes into play. I have had experiences but I believed in my religion even before these experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity is almost all about the New Testament. And if you read this area of the bible you will find that it mostly encourage love, tolerance & equality.

From what I see, atrocities by christians are committed out of rebellion or ignorance of biblical doctrines.

Like this very powerful message....

• Ga 5:14 -
      "For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Is there any moral standard that could surpass that???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ')
    I beleive that's where faith comes into play. I have had experiences but I believed in my religion even before these experiences.
    yeah thats the definition of faith, believing without evidence, i would prefer to know what i gonna spend enought and time in is true for definate first

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate Christianity exactly. It's fine with me, as long as it's not shoved down my throat and it's adherents don't try to convert me, etc. My view is that I'll respect other's religion if they'll respect mine.

Before becoming Wiccan, I was a Roman Catholic (well, my parents were) and I have had the misfortune of attending religious schools (indeed, I go to a Christian one now, where I have to basically 'shut up' or be kicked out). A while ago, one girl at school caught wind of myself and a friend's religious activities after I stupidly mentioned it to someone and told the headmaster that we were talking to demons, etc. I got away with it, but my friend's parents were asked to meet with the headmaster and were told that my friend 'better watch where she's going.' Oooh, sinister!

In my opinion, the worst kind of Christians are evangelical ones. Whenever I see those adverts for the God Channel and stuff, I literally want to smash the tv with a large mallet. Religious fundamentalists, also, are complete freaks; it's a wonder that they made it to the 21st century.

ReputationRep:
    The animals went on two by two harrah, harrah
    The snake, the mods, the cats, the bats, the hippos the ants and the kangaroos
    and they all went onto the ark, trying to leave the rain

What a load of rubbish. If you're a Christian, you believe in dragons, giants, talking animals and magic spells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Rep)

What a load of rubbish. If you're a Christian, you believe in dragons, giants, talking animals and magic spells.
    that's a kids song.

and where do giants, dragons, talking animals and magic come into the bible anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    that's a kids song.

and where do giants, dragons, talking animals and magic come into the bible anyway?

We had a three hour class the other day and it took 20 minutes to discuss dinosaurs and creation (and that was and ENGLISH class)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    You may not be familiar with Gnostic Christianity because it is an ancient form of Christianity that the Roman (then "Imperial") Catholic Church annihilated. It was an elite form of Christianity, the secret mysteries that Paul alluded to in I Corinthians 2:6-8.

Ancient Christian Gnostic groups include the Valentinians and the Sethians.

Simon Magus, mentioned in the Book of Acts, was one of the earliest Gnostics.

Until 1945 most of our knowledge of the Gnostic Christians came from the writings of the Catholic Church Fathers. The Catholic Church Fathers mostly wrote against Gnostic Christian groups, and thankfully they preserved a lot of their ideas in their polemics.

In 1945, however, a large Gnostic Christian library was discovered - the Nag Hammadi Library, containing over 52 Gnostic Christian scriptures. The most famous of these is the Gospel of Thomas.

Analytical psychology is the modern successor to ancient Gnosticism, of which Christian Gnosticism was one form:

"But when I began to understand alchemy I realised that it represented the historical link with Gnosticism, and that a continuity therefore existed between past and present. Grounded in the natural philosophy of the Middle Ages, alchemy formed a bridge on the one hand into the past, to Gnosticism, and on the other into the future, to the modern psychology of the unconscious." (Carl Jung, from 'Memories, Dreams, Reflections', page 227)

Also, I consider evangelical AMerican Christianity bad because:

1) It appeals to the base animal nature of man (the R-complex where feelings such as fear are generated) and is violent towards the rational faculty of man, as well as the spirit - believe or be damned, that's how this mental virus spreads.
    2) It is based upon the ridiculous idea that the Bible is the literal Word of God.
    3) It is vehemently against science and high culture
    4) It is actively against the higher type of man
    5) It speaks against the world in favour of mythological utopias
    6) It is incurably dualistic
    7) It is the religious form, and mother, of Communism
    Surely evangelical Christians would be horrified to be identified with Communism, due to their right wing political bias?
    Jesus and his teachings, in general, can be thought of as communist, not just evangelicalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Rep)

Excuse me? Where did you get that idea? Christians do not beleive in that stuff, and are against spells for that matter. Why do you think they are so against the harry potter series?

ReputationRep:
    Heard of the talking snake in Eden? Or Moses who used black magic against the egyptians? Or the dragon of the Book of Revelation? Of the Giants of the Book of Genesis?
    Can you prove that those things never ever existed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Excuse me? Where did you get that idea? Christians do not beleive in that stuff, and are against spells for that matter. Why do you think they are so against the harry potter series?
    I agree, most things including man's interpretation of God are flawed - you can't base a faith on man, but you can on God/Jesus/Holy Spirit.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't accuse book-burning types of having fun! It might steal their soul.

ReputationRep:
    They may well be horrified, as would a commie, but lets look at some parallels between Marxism and evangelical Christianity -

1) Both outrageously claim to be scientific
    2) Both are driven by a subconscious resentment of those who have done well in life, the healthy - in essence, they hold to slave ethics- "the poor shall inherit the earth" etc - that which is weak is good - the strong individual is "evil". The same spirit of resentment that drove the early evangelicals is the same one that drives the few remaining Marxists today. (an interesting point to note is that the Book of Acts, a book of the New Testament Bible written in the second century, depicts the first Christians selling all their private property and pooling all are their resources into what we today would call soviets)
    3) The early followers of both movements were from the criminal underworld
    4) Both systems, when they have ascended to power, have led to ruin, destruction of culture, and genocide of people (compare Constantine's Christianity, the forerunner of modern evangelicalism, with Lenin's Communism)
    5) Both speak against the world in favour of mythological utopias
    6) Both are incurably dualistic
    7) Both are Jewish inventions (both Paul and Marx were Jews)
    Those who do well are not evil and not proclaimed to be so. It is those who do well for themselves and are greedy and do nothing for others, and lie cheat and steal there way to the top that fall into that category.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't prove that there was never a talking snake just as I can't prove that there has never existed a talking book.

So I will have to use my faculty of reason to find out whether it is likely that a donkey or a snake can talk, both of which the Bible claims to have once happened.

Ummm lets see....NO! That's impossible - snakes and donkeys are physically incapable of speaking a human language!
    The native american beleif is that there was a time when the animals and the people were able to understand each other, not necasairily speak the same language, I think that applies there aswell.
    You should try looking deeper and not taking everything so literally.

ReputationRep:
    The native american beleif is that there was a time when the animals and the people were able to understand each other, not necasairily speak the same language, I think that applies there aswell.
    I agree. We can never understand the unfallen world, as fallen humans.

ReputationRep:
    You should try looking deeper and not taking everything so literally.
    Yeah, I have a lot of respect for Shamanism.

ReputationRep:
    religion is a fantasy made up by people in a time when no science disproved it. nope it still doesn't dispvore it but it makes it look like a joke. however it's still a fantasy which is the ideal situation of a human - being looked over by a freindly figure who loves everybody. some things change, some don't!

ReputationRep:
    Gnostic - I bought 'Twilight of the Idols/The Anti-christ' by Nietzsche today. Read it? If so, what did you think about it?

ReputationRep:
    You see, myths, when interpreted literally, are nonsense - there was never a golden age when snakes and cats could talk human languages. However, when we interpret these myths symbolically using such tools as psychoanalysis, these myths offer a rich glimpse of the unconscious collective psyche.

Myths are not historically, literally, and externally true - they are symbolic truths of the psyche. The language of the psyche is mythology. And Christianity, at least originally, was a pagan mystery religion with a Jewish dress.

Unlike the Catholic Christians and later their ******* children the american evangelicals, the ancient Gnostics correctly understood that such myths symbolically pertain to the psyche.

The sciences of evolution, biblical criticism, and psychoanalysis show that the Gnostics were right all along in interpreting myths as symbols.
    Myths? Careful now. My people do not believe this to be a myth but infact historical truths, we do beleive there was a time when we and our animal brothers understood one another quite easily. The animals were and still are our guides, and in vision and dreams they still to this day speak to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    Yeah, I have a lot of respect for Shamanism.
    It's not really shaminisn, it is just the way it was for all my people a long time ago. Shaminisn today is not all it's cracked up to be, just a fancy name for a medine man wannabe, I don't buy into it, as that gift is w/in all of us you just have to know where to look.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.